College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

I love the Fiesta Bowl combo, but I like how it's reserved for special occasions. And I generally like the all-blue and stormtrooper combos and wouldn't mind them wearing those exclusively during the regular season. Plus, I prefer the current helmets - all that needs to be done with them is to make them symmetrical by putting the horse head on both sides. I know that the oversized helmet logo has become a fad in CFB, but Boise can get away with using it because their ProCombat uniforms are where the trend started in the first place.

As for Arizona State, I might be the only one who hates Sparky and greatly prefers the pitchfork. It's just a stronger helmet logo that gets unfairly criticized because it came in with Nike and replaced one of the overly-cartoony retro mascot logos that everyone seems to like except me. With that said, Adidas (as usual) is intent on systematically destroying their look with hideous uniforms like that grey-and-copper trash. In general, though, there was nothing wrong with these:

CCyLEAo.jpg

N3ROHiE.jpg

8OJOu1s.jpg

AbD8ShT.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To each their own, but personally I really don't think the pitchfork is that strong a logo at all. It always looked to me like one of those generic Madden create-a-team logos that may have been one of the better ones in the pack, but was still average at best. Works for the "Virginia Beach Tridents" you just newly relocated from Jacksonville in Madden, but only because that's what you've got to work with. It doesn't work for ASU for me. Plus, it's also a bit of an odd, elongated shape that doesn't apply very well in most applications. It certainly doesn't look good on merchandise to me. Just about the only place it looks any good to me is at center court or midfield, and maybe the helmet (but still looks a bit odd and imbalanced there, too).

Sparky on the other hand was one of the more iconic logos in college (unless your local high school ripped it off, you could see it anywhere and knew instantly it was ASU) and a well designed one at that, with good balance in composition and a whole lot of "fun" to it (I say this as a huge fan of cartoony mascot logos, but understand others may not prefer them). It also translated very well in nearly any application - be it uniforms or merchandise - and thus was a very versatile mark (which likely helped with it becoming so iconic).

Personally if I'm building a collegiate athletics brand, I want to build my brand around something like Sparky and not "Custom Logo 14".

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

16 hours ago, Hamptonlantavegas said:

16098246-1475968704-640x360.jpg

9596059-andre-smith-jerod-evans-ncaa-football-virginia-tech-north-carolina.jpg

http-%2F%2Fsecure-cf-c.ooyala.jpg

Virginia Tech's maroon looks more like the 1975-1983's seal brown that the Cleveland Browns used to have. The maroon looks too reddish brown now. There is no fuchsia hue in it like Texas A&M had theirs.

Interesting choice of uniforms. They are trying a Denver Broncos approach for the helmet piping. I suggest Denver try this to grab a bit of old school into their uniforms since their color rush looks really decent!

9 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I love the Fiesta Bowl combo, but I like how it's reserved for special occasions. And I generally like the all-blue and stormtrooper combos and wouldn't mind them wearing those exclusively during the regular season. Plus, I prefer the current helmets - all that needs to be done with them is to make them symmetrical by putting the horse head on both sides. I know that the oversized helmet logo has become a fad in CFB, but Boise can get away with using it because their ProCombat uniforms are where the trend started in the first place.

As for Arizona State, I might be the only one who hates Sparky and greatly prefers the pitchfork. It's just a stronger helmet logo that gets unfairly criticized because it came in with Nike and replaced one of the overly-cartoony retro mascot logos that everyone seems to like except me. With that said, Adidas (as usual) is intent on systematically destroying their look with hideous uniforms like that grey-and-copper trash. In general, though, there was nothing wrong with these:

CCyLEAo.jpg

N3ROHiE.jpg

8OJOu1s.jpg

AbD8ShT.jpg

Ok, I agree that looks very G. I like this one too. But that grey and copper, OH MY :censored:ING GOD! Burn It. BURN IT, NOW!!!

1 hour ago, Silver_Star said:

Virginia Tech's maroon looks more like the 1975-1983's seal brown that the Cleveland Browns used to have. The maroon looks too reddish brown now. There is no fuchsia hue in it like Texas A&M had theirs.

Interesting choice of uniforms. They are trying a Denver Broncos approach for the helmet piping. I suggest Denver try this to grab a bit of old school into their uniforms since their color rush looks really decent!

Some of these particular images might not be totally true to the color-- this game was played in a heavy rain storm. The soaking wet fabric gives the bottom two images the illusion that it is a shade of brown-- in the very top image, the helmet and pants look more like the actual shade of maroon.

Archived