College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

The idea that the uniforms of Oregon are somehow in any way responsible for their decline is ridiculous. Louisville is wearing a bunch of clown suits and they're 7-1, Oregon is down because all their important coaches left, and they're playing basically all freshman this season. All they need is a good head coach (read, not Helfrich) and they'll be fine. Remember when Michigan was 3-9? Big programs have down years, it doesn't matter what you're wearing on the football field. Hell, Texas is in the dumpster right now and they're anything but a clown suit program. I know this board wants to jump at any excuse to degrade Oregon for their uniform choices (as they've been mostly abysmal recently), and I absolutely hate the fact that we're wearing complete :censored: most games, but give me a break, the idea that Oregon has lost their competitive edge because other teams wear lots of uniforms now is ridiculous. Oregon has a lot more to worry about than that, such as a coaching staff who is stuck in their ways and refuses to adapt no matter the situation, and a team that doesn't care about winning or losing, as well as being almost entirely first and second year players.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

The idea that the uniforms of Oregon are somehow in any way responsible for their decline is ridiculous. Louisville is wearing a bunch of clown suits and they're 7-1, Oregon is down because all their important coaches left, and they're playing basically all freshman this season. All they need is a good head coach (read, not Helfrich) and they'll be fine. Remember when Michigan was 3-9? Big programs have down years, it doesn't matter what you're wearing on the football field. Hell, Texas is in the dumpster right now and they're anything but a clown suit program. I know this board wants to jump at any excuse to degrade Oregon for their uniform choices (as they've been mostly abysmal recently), and I absolutely hate the fact that we're wearing complete :censored: most games, but give me a break, the idea that Oregon has lost their competitive edge because other teams wear lots of uniforms now is ridiculous. Oregon has a lot more to worry about than that, such as a coaching staff who is stuck in their ways and refuses to adapt no matter the situation, and a team that doesn't care about winning or losing, as well as being almost entirely first and second year players.

Well I would think of it this way....having the most modern and cutting edge uniforms and being most favored client of a major shoe company does not really create a competitive advantage. The other point is obvious: oregon is no longer visually unique on the football field which is purely optics.

3 hours ago, guest23 said:

Well I would think of it this way....having the most modern and cutting edge uniforms and being most favored client of a major shoe company does not really create a competitive advantage. The other point is obvious: oregon is no longer visually unique on the football field which is purely optics.

Notre Dame and Michigan State have the exact same record as Oregon while wearing the most traditional of traditional uniforms. Nobody is saying that their on field product is no longer "visually unique". It's almost like uniforms don't affect on field performance or something.

10 hours ago, Hamptonlantavegas said:

Some of New Mexico States new look. New Mexico state and New Mexico both have helmets based on their state flags. This is cool and not cool at the same time because it's kind of CopyCat however the design and look are well done on both sides. Maroon and black works well for New Mexico state

I have season tickets for UNM, and watch both NMSU and UNM TV games when possible.  UNM uses interchangeable helmet sticker logos with dark grey and white helmets (have not seen silver this year).  The Zia symbol (state flag symbol) has been worn just once this year, and was worn twice last year (once in the bowl game).  So far this year we have seen red, turquoise, and "normal" versions of the shield logo, a large "NM", and the Zia symbol.  My favorite combo is the white uni with turquoise trim.  The w/r/w combo with the red shield log was nice too.

NMSU wore the Zia last year.  I do not really like this years crossed pistols look.  I think they wore the Zia well - it is a state symbol, not unique to one team.  I do like their color scheme, dark/purplish red with black.  Just not so high on the black sleeve look.   My daughter will be a freshman there next year, looking forward to cheap student tickets for a few weekend visits. 

CrT11LKXEAQ4f0l.jpg

720107400-1.jpg

GFAOXZPKAHCOEGL_20140923200748.jpg

EP-309029906.jpg

9 hours ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

I agree with this 100%.  Correlation =/= Causation.

It just so happens that Oregon is wearing a bunch of ugly-ass uniforms at the same time that they're playing a bunch of ugly-ass football.  When only one of those things is mediocre, it gives the fanbase a leg to stand on as they can point to either drab, visually dull wins or losses with amazing, recruit-snagging uniforms.  I think if there is any correlation between the two, it's that the fanbase has become far more interested in the fashion statements than actually understanding the mechanics of roster management and trying to gain insight on what their team's coaches are trying to accomplish.  That has absolutely zero to do with coaching, but living in the heart of Duckland I can tell you that the signs for this collapse were all appearing months ago, but local media never gave it much attention.

It's not that hard to see why things have fallen off, though:

1. Graduate a ton of NFL-level talent at QB and on both lines in the last few years.

2. Replace your Offensive Coordinator and give the new OC the choice between a grad transfer QB and an untested freshman QB.

3. Replace your Defensive Coordinator and make the new guy switch base schemes from a 3-4 to a 4-3.

4. Try not to lose ALL your games.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

34 minutes ago, crosfam said:

I have season tickets for UNM, and watch both NMSU and UNM TV games when possible.  UNM uses interchangeable helmet sticker logos with dark grey and white helmets (have not seen silver this year).  The Zia symbol (state flag symbol) has been worn just once this year, and was worn twice last year (once in the bowl game).  So far this year we have seen red, turquoise, and "normal" versions of the shield logo, a large "NM", and the Zia symbol.  My favorite combo is the white uni with turquoise trim.  The w/r/w combo with the red shield log was nice too.

NMSU wore the Zia last year.  I do not really like this years crossed pistols look.  I think they wore the Zia well - it is a state symbol, not unique to one team.  I do like their color scheme, dark/purplish red with black.  Just not so high on the black sleeve look.   My daughter will be a freshman there next year, looking forward to cheap student tickets for a few weekend visits. 

CrT11LKXEAQ4f0l.jpg

GFAOXZPKAHCOEGL_20140923200748.jpg

What's with the player on the back? Is it a memorial decal?

Looking at the turquoise on these unis, I think New Mexico should fully embrace it and run with it as an accent on all of their uniforms. Though I do have to say it reminds me of the 1980's and the Playmakers TV series that ESPN used to run. And that's not a bad thing. One thing that throws me off is the LOBOS on the the pants. Due to the shape of the letters they almost look like the design that Temple uses on their pants when the player is running. I wonder if they intentionally came up with that though I don't think they did or they would have added a stripe behind it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

What's with the player on the back? Is it a memorial decal?

Looking at the turquoise on these unis, I think New Mexico should fully embrace it and run with it as an accent on all of their uniforms. Though I do have to say it reminds me of the 1980's and the Playmakers TV series that ESPN used to run. And that's not a bad thing. One thing that throws me off is the LOBOS on the the pants. Due to the shape of the letters they almost look like the design that Temple uses on their pants when the player is running. I wonder if they intentionally came up with that though I don't think they did or they would have added a stripe behind it. 

It's a memorial sticker for Markel Byrd, a New Mexico player who died in a car accident last season.  I remember Oregon WR Darren Carrington changed his jersey number from #7 to #22 in the Alamo Bowl last season to honor him as they were childhood friends.

8 hours ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

Notre Dame and Michigan State have the exact same record as Oregon while wearing the most traditional of traditional uniforms. Nobody is saying that their on field product is no longer "visually unique". It's almost like uniforms don't affect on field performance or something.

Which is why I said oregon's visual aesthetic has been "purely optics" during their run, which is to say it had zero bearing on them building a successful program. Thanks again for supporting my position even though you think you are disagreeing with me. I stated this position this years ago and people would argue with me that their cutting edge look somehow gave them a recruiting advantage. If there ever was such a slight advantage, it's clearly gone because so many schools have adopted uniform programs similar to oregon and are even looking better on the field doing so.

In the past decade, the following schools have won a Heisman and been to at least 2 NC games.

Alabama

Auburn 

Florida

Ohio State

Oregon

One of these is not like the other. I'll always contend that Oregon's uniform craze was a major contributor to getting their program on the map and the fact that people despise them so much is a testament to how much of an impact they've had on the sport.

Midway.png

11 minutes ago, Midway said:

In the past decade, the following schools have won a Heisman and been to at least 2 NC games.

Alabama

Auburn 

Florida

Ohio State

Oregon

One of these is not like the other. I'll always contend that Oregon's uniform craze was a major contributor to getting their program on the map and the fact that people despise them so much is a testament to how much of an impact they've had on the sport.

Phil Knight's blank checks for facilities also helped.  Probably more than the jerseys.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Phil Knight's blank checks for facilities also helped.  Probably more than the jerseys.

Bingo! A renovated autzen and having best in class facilities, and coaching with a new offensive scheme brought them into the elite tier. Uniforms were merely a reflection of the overall financial investment in the program. Great for press releases and blog posts but that's about it. After a while others copy those blueprints and your offensive scheme gets figured out, you have to keep evolving. As much of a prick as he is saban has been the master of continually improving and evolving his program to stay at the top.

18 hours ago, Midway said:

Alabama

Auburn 

Florida

Ohio State

Oregon

Their relationship with Nike definitely helped them, but not nearly as much as USC's sanctions, having Chip Kelly, and being the poster child of the rise of the up-tempo spread offense. 

I don't believe that without those 3 points, Oregon's "cool uniform" factor doesn't get nearly as much noteriety. 

1 hour ago, SSmith48 said:

I don't know if this is real or not, but, according to UniSwag, Florida might be bringing back these ugly orange shouldered uniforms. 

icon_15176898-620x413.jpg

Today is the anniversary of Virginia Tech's orange shoulder jerseys, at least. But I just checked the tweet. The Florida equipment manager account just had a TBT (WBW actually, but still) tweet. Wouldn't read anymore into it than that.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

4 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

I don't know if this is real or not, but, according to UniSwag, Florida might be bringing back these ugly orange shouldered uniforms. 

icon_15176898-620x413.jpg

An ugly uniform that they got rolled wearing? Probably not. This was one time Nike definitely was off target. Never design a uniform based on the undergarments.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived