buckeye

College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

Recommended Posts

On 11/21/2016 at 8:47 AM, radchad said:

I was watching the Cal-Stanford Big Game on Saturday, and I realized that Stanford hasn't worn stripes on their pants for quite a few years now.
FB_UCLA-17-660x330.jpg

Back when they dropped black and reintroduced their classic unis in 2008, the pants had stripes:
2836053_San_Jose_State_v_Stanfurd-M.jpg

Some googling seems to indicate the stripes were removed in the 2012 season.

I never noticed it before, but the set definitely looks better with stripes on the pants.  Plain white pants look just...empty, for lack of a better word.

Single red stripe, to me, would be best solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stanford should be the Raiders, just in cardinal and white instead of silver and black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oregon will once again be repeating a previous combo from this season in the Civil War this weekend:

IMG_2580.JPGIMG_2581.JPG

The only difference between this combo and the one they wore at Wazzu earlier this season is the "O" decals on the helmets instead of the Duck logos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Figured they'd use a combo like this versus the Beavers as they tend to go for school colors against them.  Biggest issues Oregon had with their uniforms this season were too many one-offs and no base green jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

Figured they'd use a combo like this versus the Beavers as they tend to go for school colors against them.  Biggest issues Oregon had with their uniforms this season were too many one-offs and no base green jersey.

I was also expecting them to go with a combo like the one they'll be wearing for the Civil War but I was holding out a little bit of hope for something more like this:

IMG_2582.JPG

It would have been nice to see the green jerseys and yellow pants again since both elements were only worn once this year. And since the road team has worn colored uniforms a few times in recent Civil War history, I was at least hopeful that it could be a possibility. But oh well, at least the combo they're actually going with is a good one, even though we've already seen it this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

Figured they'd use a combo like this versus the Beavers as they tend to go for school colors against them.  Biggest issues Oregon had with their uniforms this season were too many one-offs and no base green jersey.

 

I've always been a fan of the Oregon stuff, but I have to say I was disappointed this season.  I think they've lost their way and Nike has run out of ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2016 at 6:35 PM, BKarchitect said:

 

 

Agreed.  These were better (although still not a big fan of red jerseys for KU - for football or basketball):

 

todd-reesing.jpg

 

 

 

The current helmet (but with just the KU instead of the Jayhawk and KU), and that shade of grey for the pants would be a real winner. Not on the scoreboard at least (unless they play some nobodies like Texas, whoever that is), but they'd at least look good. Red jerseys as the occasional alternate is totally fine, but I agree that they should be a primarily blue team. 

 

Of course, these days, only a few teams in college seem to consistently wear a single color, so whatever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hamptonlantavegas said:

The ECU Ravens. thoughts? 

DSC_0290-e1479610684645.jpg

16257293-1479621122-220x165.jpg

DSC-9516-JPG.jpg

16257307-1479621693-640x360.jpg

i don't even mind the design that much (minus the "shiny numbers") but the jersey as a while looks incredibly poorly made and looks like something a pop warner team would wear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mjd77 said:

 

I've always been a fan of the Oregon stuff, but I have to say I was disappointed this season.  I think they've lost their way and Nike has run out of ideas.

 

Makes me wonder if the lack of inspiration at the end of the season uni wise is based on the poor performance on the field/really poor performance of merch this season. I don't have hard data but since the Webfoots uniforms, there haven't been any special merch items based on the uniforms. Everywhere I went here in Eugene had Webfoots stuff on steep discount, up to 75% off. No one wanted it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BigDmo said:

 

Makes me wonder if the lack of inspiration at the end of the season uni wise is based on the poor performance on the field/really poor performance of merch this season. I don't have hard data but since the Webfoots uniforms, there haven't been any special merch items based on the uniforms. Everywhere I went here in Eugene had Webfoots stuff on steep discount, up to 75% off. No one wanted it. 

 

You think they had special uniforms (or more inspired looks) ready to go but didn't wear them because of poor performance on the field/merchandise sales?  

 

I think the bad play has negated any additional attention to the uniforms, but I doubt other ideas were snubbed.  The process doesn't happen that quickly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that Oregon buying the VICIS helmets and then not being able to use them influenced some of the uniform choices this season.  I really hope they get a yellow helmet back into the rotation next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

I believe that Oregon buying the VICIS helmets and then not being able to use them influenced some of the uniform choices this season.  I really hope they get a yellow helmet back into the rotation next season.

I agree with this 100%. It's pretty clear that them not being able to use the VICIS helmets limited their helmet options and uniform choices as a whole. A yellow helmet would have gone a long way in improving them as it would have opened up many more possibilities than what they had at their disposal with the green, black and white helmets. Having said that, I still think they could have done a much better job mixing and matching the elements they did have. I would have liked to have seen the yellow pants a couple more times this year and a second game in the green jerseys would have been nice. Even the white jersey they wore at Nebraska, which I was not a huge fan of at first, would have been nice to have seen at least once more if they did something along the lines of black/white/yellow or white/white/yellow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I agree with this 100%. It's pretty clear that them not being able to use the VICIS helmets limited their helmet options and uniform choices as a whole. A yellow helmet would have gone a long way in improving them as it would have opened up many more possibilities than what they had at their disposal with the green, black and white helmets. Having said that, I still think they could have done a much better job mixing and matching the elements they did have. I would have liked to have seen the yellow pants a couple more times this year and a second game in the green jerseys would have been nice. Even the white jersey they wore at Nebraska, which I was not a huge fan of at first, would have been nice to have seen at least once more if they did something along the lines of black/white/yellow or white/white/yellow. 

 

So you're basically saying that they had 75% of the colors that they used the prior season but missing yellow shells was the deciding factor in rolling out inconsistent, uninspired, and downright ugly uniforms this season. I for one blame crap designs and lack of any sort of visual cohesion from week to week.

 

On the vicis helmet arguement, Procurement 101 tells you to never make a wholesale change like this that can have such consequences if it fails. I find it hard to believe that oregon would be so careless to replace their entire helmet inventory with an unproven supplier and product. They should have phased it in with select players to see if vicis product could endure an entire season.

 

Overall oregon has a huge design problem and their brand really doesn't mean much anymore as they are mediocre in play and in looks. This makes me wonder if nike has played a lesser role in the last two seasons and department or team staff devise the uniform program because the crap the last two seasons does not remind me of the oregon of 3 years ago which roughly when they peaked in design and popularity..

 

Lastly not having a consistent color scheme, design language, or distinct marks means you don't have a strong brand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, guest23 said:

 

So you're basically saying that they had 75% of the colors that they used the prior season but missing yellow shells was the deciding factor in rolling out inconsistent, uninspired, and downright ugly uniforms this season. I for one blame crap designs and lack of any sort of visual cohesion from week to week.

 

On the vicis helmet arguement, Procurement 101 tells you to never make a wholesale change like this that can have such consequences if it fails. I find it hard to believe that oregon would be so careless to replace their entire helmet inventory with an unproven supplier and product. They should have phased it in with select players to see if vicis product could endure an entire season.

 

Overall oregon has a huge design problem and their brand really doesn't mean much anymore as they are mediocre in play and in looks. This makes me wonder if nike has played a lesser role in the last two seasons and department or team staff devise the uniform program because the crap the last two seasons does not remind me of the oregon of 3 years ago which roughly when they peaked in design and popularity..

 

Lastly not having a consistent color scheme, design language, or distinct marks means you don't have a strong brand.

It sure was nice of you to put words in my mouth in-order for you to get your almighty opinion in. I never said that missing yellow helmets was a "deciding factor" of anything and I also never said that the yellow helmets would have fixed every issue that existed in this year's uniform choices. In fact I never even said anything about the inconsistent and at times uninspired uniforms but instead I was simply commenting about how I thought a yellow helmet would have opened up a lot more possibilities with the uniforms that they had this year. For example they could have had yellow/white/green or yellow/white/yellow combos, plus a numerous amount of possibilities with their colored uniforms. Maybe next time actually read my comment bud so you actually understand the sentiment behind them before ridiculing them as an opportunity to give your own opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, guest23 said:

 

So you're basically saying that they had 75% of the colors that they used the prior season but missing yellow shells was the deciding factor in rolling out inconsistent, uninspired, and downright ugly uniforms this season. I for one blame crap designs and lack of any sort of visual cohesion from week to week.

 

On the vicis helmet arguement, Procurement 101 tells you to never make a wholesale change like this that can have such consequences if it fails. I find it hard to believe that oregon would be so careless to replace their entire helmet inventory with an unproven supplier and product. They should have phased it in with select players to see if vicis product could endure an entire season.

 

Overall oregon has a huge design problem and their brand really doesn't mean much anymore as they are mediocre in play and in looks. This makes me wonder if nike has played a lesser role in the last two seasons and department or team staff devise the uniform program because the crap the last two seasons does not remind me of the oregon of 3 years ago which roughly when they peaked in design and popularity..

 

Lastly not having a consistent color scheme, design language, or distinct marks means you don't have a strong brand.

I think the biggest issue is lack of true direction with the overall look of the uniform.. The newer template is the highlighted factor of the uniforms, but honestly, until it's perfected, it's kinda baggy and uninspired.. The previous few templates translated better to the field imo.. 

Plus, the new number font is a downgrade.  It's got a more common look and feel, so it loses the character that made the unique, proprietary number font great, in exchange for a more traditional, yet less legible font.. Also, the lack of creativity and variety is showing itself in the new set.. Simply sticking with the new sublimated wings but changing up the overall design, would've gone a long way..

White jersey, green wings, green numbers with yellow outline.. White jersey, black wings, silver numbers with black outline.. White jersey, black wings, green numbers with black outline.. White jersey, black wings, yellow numbers with black outline.. Etc.. Green jersey, black wings, yellow numbers with black outline.. Green jersey, yellow wings, yellow numbers with black outline.. Yellow jersey, green wings, green numbers with white outline.. Yellow jersey, black wings, black numbers with silver outline.. Yellow jersey, black wings, green numbers with black outline.. Etc... The combinations are endless, but the mix-and-match teammates; along with the various uniform elements, various logos, and limited color options, has led to an extremely UN-Oregon year for Oregon..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, we have two noon games starting off rivalry weekend and both home teams are in 'blackout' uniforms. What's the over/under going to be for this weekend?

 

Also, Houston looks great in this set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.