College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

1 minute ago, Germanshepherd said:

Nothing will ever beat Tostitos. Was the only sponsor name I was OK with. 

I liked last year's jersey patches but Battlefrog was just silly. The Fiesta Bowl is supposed to have a one year contract for sponsors now. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I liked last year's jersey patches but Battlefrog was just silly. The Fiesta Bowl is supposed to have a one year contract for sponsors now. 

The Battlefrog is coming for you now. Watch out. 

Playstation is a little silly because you can't play the "Playstation Fiesta Bowl" on THEIR OWN console. 

I miss those games, ok? :(

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

For historical context I love the lightning bolts for Kent, but the one color flashes they had at the start of the season fit this uniform better I thought. The shoulder caps needed something but with all the different options they used with helmets, the stand alone K wouldn't have been much better than the full logo.

SEC putting the team stadiums in the end zones this year in recognition of the 25th SEC Championship Game. Ironically it features the two teams that played in the first game. Now if only the game was going to be as exciting as that 1992 game.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 hours ago, MCH925 said:

CU going with the all-white look for the Pac-12 Championship game. Since Colorado is in their whites, count on Washington going on their standard gold-purple-gold home combo.

Colorado pulls off the stormtrooper really, really well. It's a great look for them.

Though admittedly, should they make the Rose Bowl I'd rather they not wear it nor white helmets at all there. Any of their other helmets would provide a better contrast against white-helmeted Wisconsin or Penn State.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Colorado pulls off the stormtrooper really, really well. It's a great look for them.

Though admittedly, should they make the Rose Bowl I'd rather they not wear it nor white helmets at all there. Any of their other helmets would provide a better contrast against white-helmeted Wisconsin or Penn State.

Their all white has to be one of the most bland white uniforms. CU has no relevant history for this look to make any sense and they are very late to the game with the all white look. Their best road look is gold/white/black. It's a classic road look that was distinctly theirs for at least a decade. Even the silver additions to the mix are better than white.

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

SEC putting the team stadiums in the end zones this year in recognition of the 25th SEC Championship Game. Ironically it features the two teams that played in the first game. Now if only the game was going to be as exciting as that 1992 game.

Team Stadium names or team stadium endzone designs?

20 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Their all white has to be one of the most bland white uniforms. CU has no relevant history for this look to make any sense and they are very late to the game with the all white look. Their best road look is gold/white/black. It's a classic road look that was distinctly theirs for at least a decade. Even the silver additions to the mix are better than white.

I never said it was their best look - I'm in full agreement that there are better combos than it. But I still think it is a really great look nonetheless. I just think black and gold are great accents to all-white.

It could be worse; they could be out there with volt and copper accents or something! :P

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

This is misinterpreted. What they are doing is using the exact endzone designs from each team's respective home field endzone design. So Alabama will have crimson endzones with white italic Alabama text while Florida will have plain grass endzones with their custom Florida font.

Alabama:

5718106.jpg

Florida:

2lm9x01.jpg

SEC Championship:

The conference has been moving towards team specific graphics lately. They've done it the last two years for the Georgia vs Florida game. I think it's great that they will use the team specific fonts but I think it's a poor design choice if one team has a colored endzone and the other is the color of the turf...even if that's how their home field usually is.

A good compromise would be to use the team fonts in the endzone and either color both endzones or none.

Take this for example. This was 2015. Yes, the graphics match their home endzones but the one in white text and the one colored looks unbalanced.

IMG_5338.JPG

Compare it to 2016. Much better. Both teams get their custom designs but the endzone styles match.

IMG_4780.JPG

This is the approach the SEC Championship game should take. Mismatching endzones will look goofy.

I'm a BYU fan who never really liked BYU's blackout uniforms, but this weekend they changed the helmet logo so that the colors weren't inverted which makes a huge difference to me. For some reason, the negative space created by the inverted logo--i.e., blue Y on white oval--drives my eyes crazy such that I've pretty much boycotted any merchandise using this logo.

The helmet logo on the new blackout helmets could still use an additional white outline like I suggested to the BYU athletic department when the uniforms were first introduced several years ago, but I suppose that would require them to order different helmet logos than the ones they usually order. Anyway, I'm just happy they un-inverted the logo.

The royal facemasks are also a huge improvement over the previous black ones.

Previous blackout:

2012-black-nike-byu-football-uniforms-62

My tweak suggestion to BYU AD

BYU-Blackout_Comparison.jpg

2016 blackout

1774812.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

37 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm disappointed then. The SEC Commissioner was on air stating that the stadiums were being painted in. But team specific end zones are overdue. The Big Ten end zones are the worst.

What did you have in mind when he said that?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived