College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Florida fan - Florida's orange uniform is much better than their blue uniform. I might prefer white pants with the orange jersey than all-orange (although all-orange is better than the all-blue Florida has used many times before), but I never knew how much I liked Florida in orange until they broke these out a few years ago. 

spacer.png

I know we've touched on it before, but it just seems like such a strange decision. It must add much more time to prepare the helmets and I don't think they look any better. I liked the gloss of the striped sticker and how crisp it looked. The paint just looks imperfect. This would have been fine 20-30 years ago but this is 2016...we can print and apply a perfect sticker in about 2 minutes.

11 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

*Lind. But here's one of the many photos I've taken this season: 

IMG_3755.JPG

It was probably experimental. I used to think the Giants stripes were cooked into the shell because of how the seams seemed to disappear into the helmet. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 12/2/2016 at 7:27 PM, DNAsports said:

Why can't Western Michigan just have normal and clean uniforms

nobody looks clean while rowing the boat (sorry, couldn't help myself) 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Just now, razorback447 said:

Thankfully Washington will be the away team in all their possible games. That will help out a lot aesthetically. 

That wasn't how it worked in 2014. Ohio State wore their red jerseys in the title game, while Oregon wore a white-out.

14 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

I know we've touched on it before, but it just seems like such a strange decision. It must add much more time to prepare the helmets and I don't think they look any better. I liked the gloss of the striped sticker and how crisp it looked. The paint just looks imperfect. This would have been fine 20-30 years ago but this is 2016...we can print and apply a perfect sticker in about 2 minutes.

The equipment staff can order a set of decals, then wait for 2 weeks to get them, then apply them in about two min.. Or, they can let the helmet reconditioning company paint them on, and spend zero extra time on them..

20 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

The equipment staff can order a set of decals, then wait for 2 weeks to get them, then apply them in about two min.. Or, they can let the helmet reconditioning company paint them on, and spend zero extra time on them..

Pretty sure decal inventory is ordered at the beginning of the season. Regardless of the finish, helmets are given a mild conditioning each game. Unlike decals getting destroyed, the main issue with painting stripes would be chipped paint which would require a repaint. Additionally teams that used to paint helmets regularly would do the work in house or have a local shop for quick turnaround. This works best for shells without stripes. So for a repaint of a striped helmet. you would have to pull the helmet immediately after the game and likely have a 3 day turnaround minimum to get the helmet back with the alternative being doing the cosmetics at overnight leading up to the next game.

2 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

First look at CFP uniforms, once again all Nike schools:

No notable changes, teams on the newest template although Washington might be a hybrid, and the diamond swoosh returns.

Funny that nike went from many fabrics, seams, and panels to a minimal template that looks very similar to the adidas tech-fit. What's old is new.

9 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Pretty sure decal inventory is ordered at the beginning of the season. Regardless of the finish, helmets are given a mild conditioning each game. Unlike decals getting destroyed, the main issue with painting stripes would be chipped paint which would require a repaint. Additionally teams that used to paint helmets regularly would do the work in house or have a local shop for quick turnaround. This works best for shells without stripes. So for a repaint of a striped helmet. you would have to pull the helmet immediately after the game and likely have a 3 day turnaround minimum to get the helmet back with the alternative being doing the cosmetics at overnight leading up to the next game.

It was pointed out earlier that they wear separate helmets for practice, so the amount of wear-and-tear necessary to see any significant chipping or scarring is far greater than what these helmets will see on game days alone.. As a head football equipment manager myself, I can tell you that well-painted helmets rarely chip at all.. Maybe 3-5 of our 180+ helmets per year develop noticeable chips or cracks in the paint, and we wear the same ones every day with no mild conditioning in-between.. I know big schools like Ohio state aren't worried about man-power or cost, but coming from a small school with a limited budget, I'm a HUGE fan of the idea.. Plus, I think it actually looks more professional

Archived