College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Very much an upgrade and a return to a classic Rutgers look...though it needs the chest wordmark to return.

rutgers_ray_rice.jpg

That looks too catalog for me. As a Rutgers fan, I really like the update. 

Would have preferred a look similar to 00s Bucs, but the new set is clean and modern. 

Again, as is my usual gripe... where is the consistency between the 3 aspects of the uniform?  The helmet has no stripe, the jersey has a single stripe with a shoulder cap pattern, and the pants have a double stripe.

I actually enjoy the "chest wordmarks" for most teams. Not sure why. Im not much of a fan of the 3 logos in a row type deal when the logo is as small spaced as the "r" is.  But then again, I enjoyed them Old Dino Cat Pitt uniforms with Pittsburgh stretched across the uniforms as well

2 minutes ago, jsr862 said:

I actually enjoy the "chest wordmarks" for most teams. Not sure why. Im not much of a fan of the 3 logos in a row type deal when the logo is as small spaced as the "r" is.  But then again, I enjoyed them Old Dino Cat Pitt uniforms with Pittsburgh stretched across the uniforms as well

I kind of like the large workmarks on the chest for college as well.  Mostly because it seems like something so collegiate.  Think about hoodies and sweatshirts you see on campus with the University's name on it.  The other thing that I really like about it is the unique names that college carry... think about it... Hoosiers, Aggies, Hokies, Longhorns, Buckeyes, Seminoles, Tar Heels... its not the basic Lions and Tigers and Bears oh my!

I, too, HATE the NASCAR look... at least that's what I call it.  I hate when the fronts of these jerseys have Conference logo, school logo, Nike logo, and then school name... it just reminds me of the side of a NASCAR... thanks to the Coca-Cola, Target, Taco Bell, Ford team...

17 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

I kind of like the large workmarks on the chest for college as well.  Mostly because it seems like something so collegiate.  Think about hoodies and sweatshirts you see on campus with the University's name on it.  The other thing that I really like about it is the unique names that college carry... think about it... Hoosiers, Aggies, Hokies, Longhorns, Buckeyes, Seminoles, Tar Heels... its not the basic Lions and Tigers and Bears oh my!

I, too, HATE the NASCAR look... at least that's what I call it.  I hate when the fronts of these jerseys have Conference logo, school logo, Nike logo, and then school name... it just reminds me of the side of a NASCAR... thanks to the Coca-Cola, Target, Taco Bell, Ford team...

Agreed, and nice term for it. A few teams can pull it off. I may be biased as a Pitt fan but Pitts most recent had that, but they the logo was still a small wordmark logo and they placed it in a small oval patch right at the V of the neck line with conference to one side and Nike on the other but it was nicely placed.  And Agree with the names. I just look at Oklahoma , Texas and its nice to look at on such a plain Jersey.  The Ray Rice era Rutgers Jerseys I would take any day. But I did enjoy the concept of the battle helmets for the Knights last set, it was unique, I feel a few tweeks to uniform such as white numbers and fix the red coloring along with add the red helmet with some battle scars and would have been great branding.

25 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

At least this isn't here yet.

Image result for soccer jersey ads

IxkieML.png

3 hours ago, CLEstones said:

Again, as is my usual gripe... where is the consistency between the 3 aspects of the uniform?  The helmet has no stripe, the jersey has a single stripe with a shoulder cap pattern, and the pants have a double stripe.

When they wear the red pants with white jersey and the white pants with the red jersey the stripes are pretty consistent. The only inconsistency is the helmet. And it still looks fine. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

10 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

When they wear the red pants with white jersey and the white pants with the red jersey the stripes are pretty consistent. The only inconsistency is the helmet. And it still looks fine. 

But that's the point, its isolated to one or two combinations.  If you carried the pants stripe to the helmet, it wouldn't matter what combination.

15 hours ago, djam2410 said:

ChkqnKKXEAAQ9hs.jpg:large

Love this.

It's great when a team fixes its bad look. Personally, I prefer just one helmet (RED) for strong branding purposes, but you can't have everything. Rutgers is a traditional school that should have a traditional look.

Everyone loves a roundel.

2 hours ago, CLEstones said:

But that's the point, its isolated to one or two combinations.  If you carried the pants stripe to the helmet, it wouldn't matter what combination.

I think that is just nitpicking. There is nothing wrong with a plain helmet with no stripes. It would almost be stripe overkill if they had stripes on the helmet and there would still be mismatching as you either go with one stripe (like the jersey) or two stripes (like the pants). Rutgers has always had a plain helmet (minus the last set) so it sticks to tradition

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

54 minutes ago, djam2410 said:

I think that is just nitpicking. There is nothing wrong with a plain helmet with no stripes. It would almost be stripe overkill if they had stripes on the helmet and there would still be mismatching as you either go with one stripe (like the jersey) or two stripes (like the pants). Rutgers has always had a plain helmet (minus the last set) so it sticks to tradition

I disagree, completely.  Stripe overload?  Look at the 2014 Ohio State playoff uniforms.  The helmet and pants had the traditional 5 stripe (black, white, red, white, black) pattern.  Then the shoulders had the Iowa/Steelers stripes.  THAT would have been stripe overload. http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2015/01/13/sports/13cfb27/13cfb27-tmagArticle.jpg

Putting matching stripes on either helmet and pants or pants and shirt is far from an overload.  They could have still augmented it with the chain patterns on the shoulder caps and possibly on the knees/back of knees/top side leg.  I have no problem with a 2-1 matching ratio on uniforms, I actually think it looks better than the helmet, pants, and shirt all having the same stripe pattern.

2 hours ago, CLEstones said:

I disagree, completely.  Stripe overload?  Look at the 2014 Ohio State playoff uniforms.  The helmet and pants had the traditional 5 stripe (black, white, red, white, black) pattern.  Then the shoulders had the Iowa/Steelers stripes.  THAT would have been stripe overload. http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2015/01/13/sports/13cfb27/13cfb27-tmagArticle.jpg

Putting matching stripes on either helmet and pants or pants and shirt is far from an overload.  They could have still augmented it with the chain patterns on the shoulder caps and possibly on the knees/back of knees/top side leg.  I have no problem with a 2-1 matching ratio on uniforms, I actually think it looks better than the helmet, pants, and shirt all having the same stripe pattern.

I respect your opinion but i guess it is just personal preference. I don't mind seeing plain helmets with no stripes 

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

On April 25, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Hambone792 said:

according to Portland Business Journal, San Diego State has an expiring Nike deal on 5/31/16
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blog/threads_and_laces/2015/09/nike-adidas-under-armour-ncaa-apparel-deals-2015.html

Has anyone hear any rumbling of where they may be headed to uniforms next?

Yeah this seems like a knee-jerk reaction to going full knight costume and it being associated with poor on field results. Now they're going back to basics and trying to emulate the simplicity of a past era when they were above average on the field. I doubt this look will last either as they will need to fill in the plainness with whatever the look of the moment is because they obviously can't lose out on any fashion-minded recruits.

I'm extremely happy to see Rutgers went with a "R" on both sides of the helmet, instead of a logo on one side, and numbers on the other. Also, I love helmets with just a logo and no stripe or a consistent stripe pattern from front to back. 

B. Fass
Lancaster, PA

Nationals, Senators, Cowboys, DC United, Wizards

Washington-Nationals-Logo-HD.jpg.281d0e8be98a8521d34280de8329814f.jpgf29b882649e94f47737fee9f5b5b001f.gif.b4758c5fa8639d2f66ee458c1f7b27f9.gifmedium_DCU_20Crest_on_20white.png.4035fbad4dcbf26991bc729beadb718e.png59e126b48fe75_cowboyslogosmall.jpg.27ea81b23b230e77e0460934b5f36e74.jpg

13 hours ago, djam2410 said:

I respect your opinion but i guess it is just personal preference. I don't mind seeing plain helmets with no stripes 

My issue isn't with plain helmet with no stripes.  My issue, as I have maintained, is 3 different striping patterns on the 3 different aspects of the uniform.  Its disjointed.  There isn't uniformity. 

17 hours ago, djam2410 said:

Except prior to the 2000s.  Rutgers usually had a striped helmet in the 80s and 90s.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived