College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

11 hours ago, WavePunter said:

molded cleats are far superior for field turf (at least that seems to be the rationale, although i never noticed much difference when playing with screw-ins).. cleats dont last as long as they used to, so the cleats blow out before the screws need to be changed anyway.. i probably change 20 screws per year (not 20 pairs of cleats -- literally, just 20 individual screw-in spikes), and that's just on practice cleats.. i think most teams are probably going to a system similar to ours.. this years game cleats become next year's practice cleats, so by the time a kid graduates, he's got 3-4 pairs of practice cleats and a final pair of game cleats.. your game cleats only get worn about 20 times per year (10-11 games, + a few practices to break-in), so they're still essentially new practice cleats for the next year.. 

My senior year of high school I decided to use metal tipped screw ins. Honestly the only time I needed to change them out was for only one game on a rainy day where I needed to put in some extra long cleats. Besides that the metal tips held up the entire season. Pretty sure they cost more than the regular screw ins of the time though.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever I make a custom player on NCAA 12, I always pretend he has metal screw-in cleats. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

3 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

My senior year of high school I decided to use metal tipped screw ins. Honestly the only time I needed to change them out was for only one game on a rainy day where I needed to put in some extra long cleats. Besides that the metal tips held up the entire season. Pretty sure they cost more than the regular screw ins of the time though.

The extra long ones are illegal now

On 5/19/2016 at 8:28 PM, Germanshepherd said:

Love the sleeve stripes. Number don't is very wonky, will have to see it in game to see how it looks on different numbers. Gold pants don't match the helmet. Pants should have stripes. I'd give it a 7/10. 

I agree with all of your points-- but i end up giving it like a 5 out of 10, because of all of those points, haha. some of those things-- the pants without stripes, the mismatching golds, they just seem like obvious fixes, no idea why Pitt didn't do that. the number font is indeed very very strange, i am hoping that they at least serve a functional purpose and are legible from a distance, but aesthetically, they look really messy.The helmet is just so beautiful, it's a shame that it goes to waste here. fix the numbers, fix the golds, and make the pants a simplified version of the arm striping, and you have a strong 8/10 uniform here. until then, this uniform is just going to bother me. hopefully it's like Purdue and they just change it again next season.

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Portland State Rebrand

Well its about time!

Ci8qeEcVEAASBdu.jpg

Gonna enjoy seeing those in person next year! I will miss the old logo though. It was so early 2000s, but I have a certain nostalgia for it, and I loved their old uniforms. New ones are a class act though, I'm really happy they didn't try to look like oregon. It says something that an FCS school can get right what so many Power 5 schools get wrong. This isn't a nike problem, this is a school problem.

Going to miss the old Biker Viking but I guess he's a bit outdated and everyone has to go to Valhalla in the end. That being said the PS logo is unique but not totally onboard yet but I do like the new Viking secondary logo which was posted on another thread. Upgrade overall in my opinion.

Odd, Portland State's website says to come back Monday for all the photos and a new website...not a great way to do that...

New viking logo

13254503_10154144016117510_2599845595356

I like the new PS logo, but don't think it fits very well on the helmet. The video linked above briefly talks about some of the inspiration for the new PS logo, including the hull of a viking ship, the Runic alphabet, and a few other things.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Wish Portland State would have ditched black with the rebrand. Always felt that their shade of green is too dark to be paired with black.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

On 5/20/2016 at 0:15 PM, Ted Cunningham said:

Hell, this WVU fan likes it, even.

What I don't like are the numbers on the new uniforms. Even though it provides some consistency with the sleeve stripes, double outlines or separated outlines (where the first stroke is the same color as the background; I'm going to call it "separated" for simplicity's sake) are, 99% of the time, an awful idea. Plus, the numbers themselves are just oddly shaped. They kind of remind me of Tennessee's last Adidas numbers. Curved on the insides and straight-angled on the outsides.

But my biggest gripe is the the total lack of striping consistency across the uniform. White stroke on a blue stripe on the helmet, separated strokes on the sleeves and numbers on the jersey, and then no stripes (???) on the pants. It'd help immensely if the pants had stripes to match the helmet (not unlike the previous version--not an exact match, but the same idea). It looks very disjointed.

All they really had to do was just put stripes on the previous set and harmonize the golds a little.

Old:

pittnostripes.jpg

Proposed:

pittstripes.jpg

I don't disagree with you, but if Pitt wanted to go with another blend of the old and new, I have another idea. In the mid 80s, the script appeared on the jersey sleeves, but sleeves were much shorter in that era. At times, the sleeves went down to nearly the elbow, allowing for much more room for stripes and/or logos. Older fans may remember Nebraska had their "N" on the sleeves in the early 80s.

My suggestion to improve the bland pants set with Pitt's new uniforms is to place the script on the hip area, plenty of room for the same size of logo which is on the helmet.

5 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Wish Portland State would have ditched black with the rebrand. Always felt that their shade of green is too dark to be paired with black.

It looks custom but would definitely have to check to make sure.

37 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

It looks custom but would definitely have to check to make sure.

looked like they were sketching it out in the video. 

the logos are really nice, especially the new Viking primary. i wouldnt be surprised if this was outsourced, but who knows, it may have been all internal. important thing is the end product looks great, classic, well crafted, simple enough.  always enjoy seeing the players reactions in these vids. if they love it then it works for me. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

42 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

looked like they were sketching it out in the video. 

the logos are really nice, especially the new Viking primary. i wouldnt be surprised if this was outsourced, but who knows, it may have been all internal. important thing is the end product looks great, classic, well crafted, simple enough.  always enjoy seeing the players reactions in these vids. if they love it then it works for me. 

Players' reactions are all the same across schools.  College kids like new stuff.  Never seen a team boo new uniforms, no matter how bad they look.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Here's the script Pitt stripes mentioned above.

51911_01_lg.jpg

While looking for that photo, I found the following photo. Never realized Pitt wore the awful panther head logo

FitzVT.jpg

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

54 minutes ago, Clintau24 said:

Here's the script Pitt stripes mentioned above.

51911_01_lg.jpg

While looking for that photo, I found the following photo. Never realized Pitt wore the awful panther head logo

FitzVT.jpg

NCAA 05 had it! Miss this game so much.

NCAA%20Football%202005.jpg

Archived