College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

Now that UCLA is moving on from Adidas. What P5 schools do they have left? Nebraska, Miami, NC State, and Texas A&M all come to mind. Arizona State too?

Kansas and Mississippi State. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Now that UCLA is moving on from Adidas. What P5 schools do they have left? Nebraska, Miami, NC State, and Texas A&M all come to mind. Arizona State too?

Indiana also wears the three stripes.  Nebraska is likely next to leave the Adidas ship once their contract expires in two years, my guess will be Nike, maybe UA.

Louisville just reupped with adidas for a five-year deal in 2014 so they're likely sticking with adidas through at least the 2018-19 school year.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Interesting to see what adidas does in the future. They are bleeding teams pretty good now. Great for schools though, pressure from UA is forcing Nike and adidas to cough up more cash. As a Kansas fan, obviously our football program doesn't demand much attention these days but basketball is huge and I could see adidas desperately wanting to hold on to that or UA want to grab a perennial top five program which they really don't have in their stable. Historically UCLA is but not recently. 

Ucla deal with UA is 15 yrs, 280M making it the largest supplier deal in ncaa history. As a die-hard fan I can't wait to move on from Adidas. Now I can finally buy some solid merch

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

It seems like every new big team contract the last few years becomes the "largest in college history."

There's a bit of a collegiate apparel bubble going on at the moment but from what it seems is that suppliers are attempting to lock in the top tier programs into 15 year deals now as opposed to 5-10, which would indicate nike/ua are really seeing these as long term investments. Seeing that Ucla was able to command such a price initially shocked me and leads me to believe some of the other big dogs are going to be pretty pissed in thinking they left money on the table and are going to want to renegotiate in a few years.

Initially, if you look at valuation of the deal it's a head scratcher as Ucla is the #2 brand in its local market by a significant margin and might not even be top 20 nationally. What I have to assume is that there's a long term asia play here for as it's the #1 collegiate brand in china/japan/korea. The school has even has even opened several retail stores abroad to capitalize on this popularity.

It's been obvious to see adidas going for lower level teams, for whatever reason, in the recent years. They've all but let their big name teams go (hence UCLA and Wisconsin). 

They did just sign Tennessee Tech away from Russell, if you can consider that a win.

CjOcyJIUgAEmNxZ.jpg

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

3 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

It's been obvious to see adidas going for lower level teams, for whatever reason, in the recent years. They've all but let their big name teams go (hence UCLA and Wisconsin). 

They did just sign Tennessee Tech away from Russell, if you can consider that a win.

CjOcyJIUgAEmNxZ.jpg

It has to be a win for Tennessee Tech because I'm sure the Adidas uniforms will not be this ugly: 

4.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

spacer.png

I didn't see this posted, but here is a breakdown of Athletic Suppliers for the NCAA by company brought to you by FootballScoop. Here is a preview: 

Top FBS Breakdown

1. Nike - 75 teams (58.6%
  2. Adidas - 29 teams (22.7%) 
  3. Under Armour - 19 teams (14.8%)
  4. Russell Athletic - 4 teams (3.1%) 

Power 5 Breakdown

1. Nike - 44 (66.7%) 
  2. Under Armour - 11 (16.9%) 
  3. Adidas - 9 (13.8%) 
  4. Russell Athletic - 1 (1.5%) 

spacer.png

Nebraska's leadership is boneheaded about adidas. We were one of the first (maybe THE first) schools to sign a big apparel deal with adidas and it was in the height of the 1990s dominance by Husker football.

Oddly enough, the reason to stay is that our uniforms are simple enough that adidas can't mess them up. By the same logic, I say that Nike or UA could ALSO not mess them up, plus give us respectable alternates. But what do I know? I'm just a weirdo who draws uniforms in Paint when I get bored.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Ucla story said UA has long wanted a true West coast power team. When they saw the opportunity to grab a school in Los Angeles it was a no brainer for them. They desperately wanted to plant there roots at West and this was there chance. 

Also said expect uniforms to stay traditional but to also expect at least 1 alternate. They plan to experiment a bit more with hats and hoodies while leaving uniforms traditional 

50 minutes ago, bowld said:

Ucla story said UA has long wanted a true West coast power team. When they saw the opportunity to grab a school in Los Angeles it was a no brainer for them. They desperately wanted to plant there roots at West and this was there chance. 

Also said expect uniforms to stay traditional but to also expect at least 1 alternate. They plan to experiment a bit more with hats and hoodies while leaving uniforms traditional 

UA has money to spend they are going to go hard after nearly every power 5 supplier/licensing deal they can to grow market share. Nike will continue to lock down their elite schools and attempt to poach a few strategic deals here and there. Adidas will be left with the scraps.

1 hour ago, bowld said:

Ucla story said UA has long wanted a true West coast power team.

I wonder if Under Armour told Cal that exact same thing

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

UA has money to spend they are going to go hard after nearly every power 5 supplier/licensing deal they can to grow market share. Nike will continue to lock down their elite schools and attempt to poach a few strategic deals here and there. Adidas will be left with the scraps.

Adidas will retain more than just scraps, especially for schools who may not be "football schools".. Adidas has been on a 5-year techfit kick that appears to be phasing itself out.. Before the "techfit era" (let's say 7-10 years ago), under armour was trash, Nike and Adidas were very comparable in terms of quality and product offerings, and Russell was still a respectable company with a measurable market share.. It may be safe to assume that Adidas focused more on its NFL contract (reebok) than college innovations, and has since just been trying to milk techfit for all it's worth... They FINALLY got a respectable template with the techfit, but only offer it with the primeknit/shockweb pattern, which is sad, and they don't offer it in a customizable version, which is equally disappointing.. They do, however, have an extensive set of offerings they haven't pushed recently, as well as a new sublimated custom template that is at least a step in the right direction.. It seems like they may be finally done trying to out-nike Nike, and if that's the case, they could be back in the market competitively vying for major contracts and maintaining popularity among the athletes.. I don't see anybody catching Nike, but UA's biggest advantage is NOT being Adidas, which won't carry much weight for long, and I see those two with about 25-30% share each, with Nike averaging around half moving forward.. That's just my two cents 

50 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Adidas will retain more than just scraps, especially for schools who may not be "football schools".. Adidas has been on a 5-year techfit kick that appears to be phasing itself out.. Before the "techfit era" (let's say 7-10 years ago), under armour was trash, Nike and Adidas were very comparable in terms of quality and product offerings, and Russell was still a respectable company with a measurable market share.. It may be safe to assume that Adidas focused more on its NFL contract (reebok) than college innovations, and has since just been trying to milk techfit for all it's worth... They FINALLY got a respectable template with the techfit, but only offer it with the primeknit/shockweb pattern, which is sad, and they don't offer it in a customizable version, which is equally disappointing.. They do, however, have an extensive set of offerings they haven't pushed recently, as well as a new sublimated custom template that is at least a step in the right direction.. It seems like they may be finally done trying to out-nike Nike, and if that's the case, they could be back in the market competitively vying for major contracts and maintaining popularity among the athletes.. I don't see anybody catching Nike, but UA's biggest advantage is NOT being Adidas, which won't carry much weight for long, and I see those two with about 25-30% share each, with Nike averaging around half moving forward.. That's just my two cents 

adidas problem is that they are a german company that has a massive US presence but they won't consistently commit the necessary budget and design resources to compete effectively. Much like their nba deal, they have a terrible time properly monetizing american assets so when the deals show low ROI, they reallocate funds back to global football sponsorship which is their main source of profit on the licensing side. UA is firmly locked in as #2 in the US now, they get the american market and don't have to answer to a foreign boss.

Archived