College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, VDizzle12 said:

This could be a good look if they used orange instead of blue. 

3185836.jpg

I'm hoping the change they're making to the Grey Ghost uniforms to change the striping on the helmet, jersey and pants to navy/orange/navy. This would fix the striping inconsistencies, allow them to wear the grey jerseys and pants with other color and give them more uniform combinations to choose from. I know most on here wouldn't be a fan of that, but I think it does at least help a little with recruiting. 

18 minutes ago, illini1 said:

3185836.jpg

I'm hoping the change they're making to the Grey Ghost uniforms to change the striping on the helmet, jersey and pants to navy/orange/navy. This would fix the striping inconsistencies, allow them to wear the grey jerseys and pants with other color and give them more uniform combinations to choose from. I know most on here wouldn't be a fan of that, but I think it does at least help a little with recruiting. 

I hope the change they make is donating them to a high school in need of uniforms...

5 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

How are these Penn States Uniforms?

3185836.jpg

All it just needs is a little orange in the middle helmet stripe, middle stripe of the jersey sleeve and in the middle pant stripe. That's all this combination lacks to make it a nice special uniform.

42 minutes ago, aerodynamix said:

All it just needs is a little orange in the middle helmet stripe, middle stripe of the jersey sleeve and in the middle pant stripe. That's all this combination lacks to make it a nice special uniform.

There is simply nothing special about a gray uniform. it's drab, and has no tie to the school. If they want to do something to invoke the Galloping Ghost, then I would suggest doing a Grange-era fauxback like aTm did a few years ago and tosu is doing this season.

50 minutes ago, guest23 said:

There is simply nothing special about a gray uniform. it's drab, and has no tie to the school. If they want to do something to invoke the Galloping Ghost, then I would suggest doing a Grange-era fauxback like aTm did a few years ago and tosu is doing this season.

if they want to invoke the Galloping Ghost, they should make the entire uniform Red

I was watching this cool clip on Auburn's short lived orange jerseys...

...and it led me to another discovery. Most of us are pretty familiar with teams now that do 3/4 helmet striping where it stops along a ridge on the body of the helmet. Well Auburn used to do something similar to accommodate merit decals.

image.jpeg

For comparison's sake, this is what I'm referring to. The helmet striping stops at the ridge in the helmet lines.

image.jpeg

59 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

...and it led me to another discovery. Most of us are pretty familiar with teams now that do 3/4 helmet striping where it stops along a ridge on the body of the helmet. Well Auburn used to do something similar to accommodate merit decals.

image.jpeg

It looks more to me like the merit decals were placed over the helmet stripe rather than it just being shortened

IowaWesternBanner.png

49 minutes ago, Hoover356 said:

It looks more to me like the merit decals were placed over the helmet stripe rather than it just being shortened

That at does seem to be the case as all three of those guys have varying helmet stripe lengths and widths in view. 

13 hours ago, Tracy MidGrady said:

That's a major reach

A major reach? Really?  Are you looking at a different photo than the rest of us?

So, when you look at that uniform, you automatically think its an Illinois alternate uniform, without hesitation, you KNOW that's Illinois?  Or do you look at it and think its a Penn State alternate, until you actually investigate the helmet logo and subtle stripes on the jersey and pants?

gg

22 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

A major reach? Really?  Are you looking at a different photo than the rest of us?

So, when you look at that uniform, you automatically think its an Illinois alternate uniform, without hesitation, you KNOW that's Illinois?  Or do you look at it and think its a Penn State alternate, until you actually investigate the helmet logo and subtle stripes on the jersey and pants?

gg

Never would Penn State come to mind when looking at those, IMO.

30 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

gg

I've never seen a Penn State alternate, so I know it's likely not Penn State.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, CLEstones said:

gg

It doesn't look like Illinois, but that doesn't mean it looks like penn state either, it looks further from pen state because as others have mentioned pen state does not wear alternates ever.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I've never seen a Penn State alternate, so I know it's likely not Penn State.

18 minutes ago, dont care said:

It doesn't look like Illinois, but that doesn't mean it looks like penn state either, it looks further from pen state because as others have mentioned pen state does not wear alternates ever.

So, in a world where alternate uniforms run rampant... its a safer assumption that a team wearing a white helmet, with a blue facemask, with a jersey that has thick blue stripes for the collar and sleeve cuffs, and where gray is an extremely popular concept color for Penn State, that its actually Illinois, who wears orange and blue, and historically wears orange helmets?

21 hours ago, CLEstones said:

They look way closer to Penn State than Illinois.  Also, I believe the first year they wore these, there was more blue and white.

Except for the fact that it has the same sleeve stripes that the rest of the Illinois jerseys have, the same number font, the same Block I and that they have grey pants and jerseys I could see how it could be confused for Penn State. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

29 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Except for the fact that it has the same sleeve stripes that the rest of the Illinois jerseys have, the same number font, the same Block I and that they have grey pants and jerseys I could see how it could be confused for Penn State. 

The Block is is white/silver, and can barely been seen when glancing at images.  The stripe on the sleeve is consistent with the rest of Illinois, but again, its primarily blue and white, and there is no orange.  Orange is their MAJOR color.  The location of the collar and stripes are reminiscent of Penn State and the white on the sleeves gets muddled on TV.  Sure, the font is consistent with Illinois, but again if you are watching it on TV, the detail isn't there from far away.  Not only that, the entire color pallet is way closer to Penn State than Illinois.

Archived