College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

The two teams use similar color pallets as far as the navy but I've never know Penn State to even consider doing an alternate uniform except for a fauxback. I think that's why most people here would dismiss these as being anything ties to Penn State. Granted if I was flipping through the channels and wasn't paying attention I might go,"WTH Penn State!" But after stopping to examine them it's pretty easy to see the difference. I know the main idea behind these is to mimic the black and white pictures in which you would have seen Grange play, but I think if they did them in the actual colors they are afraid that people would think they are copying the Bears throwback when the Bears actually got those uniforms from Illinois!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The two teams use similar color pallets as far as the navy but I've never know Penn State to even consider doing an alternate uniform except for a fauxback. I think that's why most people here would dismiss these as being anything ties to Penn State. Granted if I was flipping through the channels and wasn't paying attention I might go,"WTH Penn State!" But after stopping to examine them it's pretty easy to see the difference. I know the main idea behind these is to mimic the black and white pictures in which you would have seen Grange play, but I think if they did them in the actual colors they are afraid that people would think they are copying the Bears throwback when the Bears actually got those uniforms from Illinois!

I don't think these look anything like vintage football uniforms on b&w film. These are modern gray/white football uniforms for a team that has a long standing history of wearing navy/orange. Any "ghost" reference is a cheap attempt to give them legitimacy.

6 hours ago, CLEstones said:

A major reach? Really?  Are you looking at a different photo than the rest of us?

So, when you look at that uniform, you automatically think its an Illinois alternate uniform, without hesitation, you KNOW that's Illinois?  Or do you look at it and think its a Penn State alternate, until you actually investigate the helmet logo and subtle stripes on the jersey and pants?

gg

If you have to break it down that much to explain yourself, then it's quite a reach.

Edit- Oops, quoted wrong post.

3 hours ago, CLEstones said:

The Block is is white/silver, and can barely been seen when glancing at images.  The stripe on the sleeve is consistent with the rest of Illinois, but again, its primarily blue and white, and there is no orange.  Orange is their MAJOR color.  The location of the collar and stripes are reminiscent of Penn State and the white on the sleeves gets muddled on TV.  Sure, the font is consistent with Illinois, but again if you are watching it on TV, the detail isn't there from far away.  Not only that, the entire color pallet is way closer to Penn State than Illinois.

(meant to quote this one)

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

I don't think these look anything like vintage football uniforms on b&w film. These are modern gray/white football uniforms for a team that has a long standing history of wearing navy/orange. Any "ghost" reference is a cheap attempt to give them legitimacy.

Pretty much! They do have sublimated stripes down the front similar to when Grange played, but they're hard to make out unless you're looking for them. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

32 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Wow, this is a lot of dissection of a relatively small comment.  How about this?  No, it doesn't look like Penn State because Penn State's uniform is morbidly dull and flatly ugly.  Happy?

In case you're not posting in jest, I for one hope they never change their set.

We've got plenty of teams that offer the cutting edge designs every year, some of them even lasting only a couple seasons.

We can, alternatively,  in contrast appreciate PSU for staying the course.

10397766-large.jpg

1 hour ago, Derek94 said:

We've got plenty of teams that offer the cutting edge designs every year, some of them even lasting only a couple seasons.

10397766-large.jpg

Penn State's in a strange place right now. Before the scandal, that uniform(and the Lion logo associated with the football program), symbolized winning, honor, and integrity. Since

the scandal, we've seen many countless video clips of both Sandusky and Paterno wearing PSU gear. Penn State's now in a tougher Big Ten Conference, and we don't know when they'll be contenders again, if ever. If the struggles continue, I definitely could see a subtle change in the uniform set. When legendary NFL linebacker Jack Ham was at PSU, the Nittany Lions not only had uniform numbers on the helmet, but a single stripe on the pants.          

4 hours ago, Derek94 said:

10397766-large.jpg

Yikes.  Anybody who has ever read any of my post before must assume my account has been hacked.  I wrote the word "is" when I meant "isn't".  Believe me, when it comes to Penn State's uniform, I'm a thin pants stripe away from being a huge fan.

Whew!  Grumpy old man status restored.

2 hours ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

Penn State's in a strange place right now. Before the scandal, that uniform(and the Lion logo associated with the football program), symbolized winning, honor, and integrity. Since

the scandal, we've seen many countless video clips of both Sandusky and Paterno wearing PSU gear. Penn State's now in a tougher Big Ten Conference, and we don't know when they'll be contenders again, if ever. If the struggles continue, I definitely could see a subtle change in the uniform set. When legendary NFL linebacker Jack Ham was at PSU, the Nittany Lions not only had uniform numbers on the helmet, but a single stripe on the pants.          

Yeah at one point these uniforms represented a brand of football that was old school with integrity. That era ended up being a massive fraud perpetuated over at least three decades that put a winning above all else and actually perpetuated a culture of ignorance and criminality. If there was a time to reposition a tarnished brand and forget the past, it's the present.

5 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Yeah at one point these uniforms represented a brand of football that was old school with integrity. That era ended up being a massive fraud perpetuated over at least three decades that put a winning above all else and actually perpetuated a culture of ignorance and criminality. If there was a time to reposition a tarnished brand and forget the past, it's the present.

While this is all basically true, it's also true the the present is full of awful awful awful awful college football uniforms. 

11 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Texas has way too much going on between the number in the collar. I wouldn't mind if the conference logo was raised onto the shoulder plate and the longhorn was removed completely. 

I agree. If they could just move the conference and manufacture logos out some it would be better, but those seams run right where you would want to place a conference logo patch

Archived