College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

On 6/15/2016 at 9:15 PM, mmejia said:

Texas equipment tweeted yesterday that the 2016 home jerseys had arrived. As expected, no changes for the Longhorns this season. 

image.jpeg

Is there a good reason why we can't get one consistent color for the entire jersey? It's 2016 - we have unmanned drones flying around and driverless cars on the road. So why does Texas need two different shades of burnt orange on their jersey? 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, ohryan said:

Is there a good reason why we can't get one consistent color for the entire jersey? It's 2016 - we have unmanned drones flying around and driverless cars on the road. So why does Texas need two different shades of burnt orange on their jersey? 

I think it's as close as they can get it.  Getting into color theory a bit - everything is really based on the amount and wavelengths of light that your eyeballs suck in.  Two different materials are inherently going to reflect and absorb light in different ways, especially under different lighting.  The two shades might not be noticeable in broad daylight or they might even look worse.  Add in the sweat factor and they might have FOUR shades of orange once parts of the fabric start absorbing moisture.

You're right about science in 2016 being very advanced, but it's also the reason the major outfitters are high on the idea of their MeshWireFlyKnitTreads.  We're gonna continue to get slight variations in color as they experiment with different fabrics.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

^ All good stuff. Color theory for the win.

Also have to consider the fact that the mesh panels are filled with holes so while the fabric has the same dye, their observed color will be affected by whatever is behind the mesh panel. In that photo, it looks darker because you see the shadow of the inside of the jersey. If you were to stick a white shirt behind it, the mesh would seem lighter.

4 minutes ago, JPDesign said:

^ All good stuff. Color theory for the win.

Also have to consider the fact that the mesh panels are filled with holes so while the fabric has the same dye, their observed color will be affected by whatever is behind the mesh panel. In that photo, it looks darker because you see the shadow of the inside of the jersey. If you were to stick a white shirt behind it, the mesh would seem lighter.

It's way simpler than that. You have mesh panels that are not 100% opaque and you have solid nylon/polyester panels in the exact same color. No matter what color you use the mesh will never look the same.

20 minutes ago, JPDesign said:

Isn't that what I said? The mesh panels are always affected by the color of what's behind it, whereas the other fabric is not.

I think we're saying the same thing in different ways.

Yeah I was in agreement.

3 hours ago, jsr862 said:

Or we can just all agree, the color of the jersey is orange and take it as is. plain simple. no science behind it. Its just an orange jersey. Just like the jerseys before them.

Next thing you're going to say is that the jets only use one shade of green in their uniforms...

13532068_286532858356633_315810560_n.jpg

haha good timing @djam2410

Pretty good effort at replicating these, but I'll take em. I was always under the impression State didn't own that logo, but here they are. Wonder if we'll get one or two more for some of the older teams in honor of this. Good job, Adidas & NCSU - now go burn those black uniforms and helmets please.

Those NC State throwbacks are great.  I wouldn't be upset if they wore those full time.  The shockweb still sucks (and the NOB still looks stupid with the stretching), but overall very cool.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

59 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

No earlier than July 1st.

This is true and I can't imagine scheduling a media event on a friday before a holiday weekend. From a marketing standpoint, this is a horrible time of year to do a full media unveiling as we are in peak vacation season and nobody is paying attention. The other problem is that if you wait until something like camp starting you run the risk of leaks and the news being stale but if anyone can keep things locked down in secrecy it's the swoosh. My guess is late July/early Aug.

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

This is true and I can't imagine scheduling a media event on a friday before a holiday weekend. From a marketing standpoint, this is a horrible time of year to do a full media unveiling as we are in peak vacation season and nobody is paying attention. The other problem is that if you wait until something like camp starting you run the risk of leaks and the news being stale but if anyone can keep things locked down in secrecy it's the swoosh. My guess is late July/early Aug.

Wisconsin is doing a late night event on June 30th with the release right after midnight...

Archived