College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Kennesaw SID is saying there's some fun news coming later in July, while the jerseys on the online store are now listed with '15 next to them. Considering how many people complained about the chrome, blobby numbers on our home jerseys I wouldn't be surprised if the team has either added to and/or revamped its uniforms after only one season. We'll see. The road unis are actually quite nice. 

As long as they don't mess with that helmet. 

12 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Yeah that's the armourgrid template.. New Mexico State's new jerseys are the Diablo template.. They aren't the same

i literally can't see any difference, even when looking them both up, they have the same seems in the side panels, belly, collarbones, sleeve caps etc. from what i can tell

Shoulder and sleeve inserts.. Armorgrid doesn't have them, Diablo does.. With the Diablo template, there's no space for  tv numbers (hence, no tv numbers for NM State).. Armourgrid is more plain and has no additional inserts or seams to interfere with tv numbers (hence auburn having them)

30 minutes ago, dont care said:

there is a sleeve insert on auburn though, I'm having a really hard time seeing what you are talking about

http://www.testudotimes.com/2015/8/3/9090821/under-armour-football-uniforms-maryland

This appears to be the same template and they are still calling it ArmourGrid so I really don't know where this "diablo" is coming from, nor how it is different.

They're calling the technology in the fabrics "ArmourGrid".. There is now a specific armourgrid template, along with the Diablo template worn by Maryland in the promo pics from that article.

34 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

They're calling the technology in the fabrics "ArmourGrid".. There is now a specific armourgrid template, along with the Diablo template worn by Maryland in the promo pics from that article.

but even still the only difference i see is one stripe on the shoulder which doesn't make it a completely different template. I've searched for this diablo template and can't find anything other than their cleats, everything else is referring to them as ArmourGrid and thats it.

http://m.campussports.net/armour-unveils-new-armourgrid-jersey/

It's not just a stripe, it's an entire insert.. NM State uses the  stripes within the insert, while Maryland does not.. Try the website I posted above.. Perhaps UA, like Adidas, markets it's proprietary fabrics rather than its various templates.. That would explain why it's tough to find anything other than the fabric technology

5 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

It's not just a stripe, it's an entire insert.. NM State uses the  stripes within the insert, while Maryland does not.. Try the website I posted above.. Perhaps UA, like Adidas, markets it's proprietary fabrics rather than its various templates.. That would explain why it's tough to find anything other than the fabric technology

i think you are getting to specific in what you are calling a template. A template is the base starting point, like the Nike Speed Machine Template, additional design elements can be added to the template like the insert over the shoulder like on UNC's old uniforms that was then copied by Rutgers and a few other schools. That didn't make it a new template though because it was still based off of the Speed Machine, UNC's jersey design might have had its own name so it would be easier to order from a catalog but thats it. Now fast forward to 2016, Under Armour has the base ArmourGrid template, Maryland then came out with an extra insert on the shoulder but based on the ArmourGrid Template like UNC did, they call it the Diablo so its easier to identify in a catalog, then New Mexico come around the next year and wants the same design, bada bing bada boom easy peasy. There simply isn't enough difference between the 2 jerseys to call them completely different templates.

2 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

Why can't they just make the pants stripes match everything else just why why why 

You mean the helmet stripes, right? The pants and jersey are consistent: white - blue - orange - blue - white. The pants have always been the vexatious outlier.

There are lots of things that aren't very different, but get called two different things.. Changing the pattern and adding seams changes the template.. I guess it's six of one, and half a dozen of the other, and we can agree to disagree, but to the highly trained eye of an under armour employee, these may be considered very different, especially given the many differences in decoration availabilities, or perhaps they view it as the same.. Either way, one would not order NM State's jersey if he had auburn's design in mind.. It's impossible to achieve it on that template (or on that version of the template)

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 11:33 PM, tron1013 said:

You mean the helmet stripes, right? The pants and jersey are consistent: white - blue - orange - blue - white. The pants have always been the vexatious outlier.

It depends on which jersey they are wearing as to which element doesn't match.  If they are wearing the blue jersey - stripes on the jersey and pants match but the helmet doesn't.  If they are wearing the white jersey, stripes on the helmet and jersey match but the pants don't.  Just pick one and make them all the same.

11 hours ago, butlerpilgrim said:

Albeit a very small change, it appears Notre Dame has tweaked their monogram.  I would assume this change will show up on the sleeves of the uniforms this upcoming season.

Old:

image.png 

New:

image.jpeg

Below is a link to Notre Dame's updated Athletics Branding page:

http://onmessage.nd.edu/athletics-branding/logos/monogram/

They've been slowly rolling it out over the past year, even using it on TV last season, but it's yet to show up on any uniforms, and only recently on apparel. It's basically just a more well-constructed version of the pre-Kelly Monogram (which never fully left anyway, which may be why this flew under the radar). I was never a fan of the version introduced in 2010 with all the weird, rounded corners. It looks like a bad auto-trace.

Here's the official athletics typeface. I like it more than what they've been using.

typeface_leahy_example_1.jpg

The new sideline hats have the new logo on them, so I would hope the uniforms will as well:

nd-hat_zpsnhsozijx.png

spacer.png

I think it really depends on size how the logo is applied to uniforms. That's a really small amount of white space/separation being added to a logo. It's an improvement when in print or digital but on a uniform it has to be big enough to even visually notice the difference. If you are doing screen printing (Holtz era) or embroidery I think it works, but for something like layered tackle twill for smaller sizes (current jerseys), you're probably better off keeping the logo as is.

Archived