College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

14 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

One helmet?  I'll believe that when I see it.

I think these things are pretty damn expensive (>$500) so cost may be a legit factor here. Also since it's a completely new type of helmet that the equip staff has to learn it would make sense from a maintenance perspective to keep it simple in year one.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, burgundy said:

It'll be interesting to see how they apply the decalls to the VICIS helmet. There's not a whole lot of space on the sides:

vicis_zpsfjonyhvx.jpg

When i first stumbled across this helmet a little less than a year ago, that was exactly what went through my mind. I can't see anywhere on the helmet where you could put a logo without it looking  cluttered. Especially for teams with different-colored facemasks from the helmet.

6 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Looks so cheap when schools have different templates and fonts across their various jerseys.

They will always look cheap to me until they change out of our old template ; lots of teams still used those pants (Baylor, Montana, Idaho) but this is one of the few that copied the jersey as well 

1525007-jahvidbest.jpg

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

10 hours ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

When i first stumbled across this helmet a little less than a year ago, that was exactly what went through my mind. I can't see anywhere on the helmet where you could put a logo without it looking  cluttered. Especially for teams with different-colored facemasks from the helmet.

Probably similar to the Argos white helmet. Towards the back. Hopefully not as large.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, guest23 said:

I think these things are pretty damn expensive (>$500) so cost may be a legit factor here. Also since it's a completely new type of helmet that the equip staff has to learn it would make sense from a maintenance perspective to keep it simple in year one.

From the article in my initial post:

"The helmets cost an estimated $1,500 each, and the plan is for UW players to use only one helmet all season — for practices and games."

Pretty darn expensive.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

1 hour ago, LEWJ said:

"The helmets cost an estimated $1,500 each, and the plan is for UW players to use only one helmet all season — for practices and games."

Pretty darn expensive.

I suspect most of the P5's can afford something like this without too much trouble. The G5's? Not so much.

1 hour ago, LEWJ said:

Pretty darn expensive.

For comparison, the chrome frog skin helmets TCU has run $1,000 per.

1 hour ago, LEWJ said:

Pretty darn expensive.

Guess that means so long to one of the most unique recent changes ... for now

80fa70c4-dbe2-4c7f-a1e8-1fce82625003.jpg

wS7MJ6T.png

30 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

Guess that means so long to one of the most unique recent changes ... for now

80fa70c4-dbe2-4c7f-a1e8-1fce82625003.jpg

A chrome helmet is not unique. About 80 other FBS teams have a chrome helmet.

1 hour ago, gdu said:

For comparison, the chrome frog skin helmets TCU has run $1,000 per.

I'm assuming the $1500 is for the unfinished helmet or with basic color treatment. For an apt comparison, the $1,000 tcu includes the aftermarket finishing with the base helmet price hovering around $200-300 depending on model, which puts the treatment at around $700. To do a chrome version of this model you're looking at >$2000 per if it's even possible with the soft shell.

1 hour ago, JPDesign said:

If the helmet compresses as much as it seems it does, based on that video, it will be interesting to see how the decals hold up over the course of a game. I think we may see a lot of wardrobe malfunctions.

There was one video that showed their helmet with a wacky black and white design. The logo may have to be done as part of the manufacturing process.

Also, they're still a pretty small company. If they start manufacturing by the thousands instead of the dozens that they're probably doing now, the cost will come down somewhat.

1 hour ago, rickyISking said:

A chrome helmet is not unique. About 80 other FBS teams have a chrome helmet.

Like hell you say ..... got a link?

Here's an example of how far helmets have come in 30 years:  I worked in Denver Broncos PR in '84, and covered the team for radio and TV a couple more years. I recall - I think it was Ron Egloff - getting really ticked off when John Sawyer secretly swapped helmets with him after changing the little numbers on the back.  Second time it happened there was lotsa hollering about it, so Sawyer asked equip. mgr. Bill Harpole for a brand new helmet. Harpole said "Not unless you pay for it - those helmets cost $160 each, not including facemask." 

wS7MJ6T.png

7 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Egloff's last year with the Broncos was 1983.

Then-it-was-n't-Eg-loff.

It was somebody with a number in the 80's, cause Sawyer changed just the second digit.

And fine with "you" knowing the alternate-uni-playoff policy.  "You" are sophisticated on the topic, several others assumed that was why.

And it wasn't the West FINALS, it was the SEMI-finals. Oh, sorry.

Got that link yet ... cause there's what, 119 FBS schools?

wS7MJ6T.png

Archived