College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

Did anyone post this a little while back? apologies if so. rumor around these parts is that Kirby Smart is going to be much more open minded when it comes to wearing alternate uniforms compared to Richt. UGA hasn't worn black uniforms since getting destroyed by Alabama I want to sayyyyy ... 8 years ago. before then, we beat auburn in a blackout game and also beat Hawaii in the sugar bowl wearing black. Recruits appear to be told that they are going to be a more regular part of the set. I wouldnt be surprised seeing these one or two times this year, potentially against Tennessee in possibly the dawgs biggest home game this season.

Cnc8tl7WEAQRg_-.jpg

Cnc2bVLWAAA74sg.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jvelleu said:

It's a great design.  Essentially the traditional sets they've always worn.

Their recruits are and will continue to eat up that jumpman logo for sure.  It carries major cache.

But I think the rest of us in the fandom will continue to find it fascinating (or amusing, confusing?) that there's a small basketball stitched on a football uniform.

26 minutes ago, Derek94 said:

It's a great design.  Essentially the traditional sets they've always worn.

Their recruits are and will continue to eat up that jumpman logo for sure.  It carries major cache.

But I think the rest of us in the fandom will continue to find it fascinating (or amusing, confusing?) that there's a small basketball stitched on a football uniform.

Ah yes the massive recruiting advantage. I'm sure a nike football uniform with a jordan logo is going to sway a top recruit from tosu to um despite the gear ending up being essentially identical to nike elite product. Then as others have said the buckeyes roll with the lebron logo and you've negated that massive advantage. Lastly nike has been doing jordan gear for the ducks for quite some time so in reality there's very little to be gained other than some press early in the season. Harbaugh still has to out-recruit Meyer for the same players using almost the exact same swag.

Not gonna argue whether it will work, but have to believe that's why Harbaugh/UM allowed the logo.

Look we know Jordan brand probably wishes it could put that jumpman on the other blueblood teams, but most likely they got a flat-out 'no' from them.

So here's a scenario where they found a willing partner, and for UM's part in it they expect to get some movement on the recruitment front.

42 minutes ago, Derek94 said:

Not gonna argue whether it will work, but have to believe that's why Harbaugh/UM allowed the logo.

Look we know Jordan brand probably wishes it could put that jumpman on the other blueblood teams, but most likely they got a flat-out 'no' from them.

So here's a scenario where they found a willing partner, and for UM's part in it they hope to get some movement on the recruitment front.

FTFY

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

Ah yes the massive recruiting advantage. I'm sure a nike football uniform with a jordan logo is going to sway a top recruit from tosu to um despite the gear ending up being essentially identical to nike elite product. Then as others have said the buckeyes roll with the lebron logo and you've negated that massive advantage. Lastly nike has been doing jordan gear for the ducks for quite some time so in reality there's very little to be gained other than some press early in the season. Harbaugh still has to out-recruit Meyer for the same players using almost the exact same swag.

I mean, you have several recruits explicitly quoted as saying it does matter to them (and to be clear, the advantage is around all the swag, not just the uniforms).  You also have the fact that Jordan does 10x the shoe sales that LeBron does, even though he retired over 10 years ago.  But sure, tell us more about how you think this should work, rather than how it actually does.

Taking the snark down a level...of course OSU is going to recruit well.  You have to think about Michigan's "advantage" being relative to Michigan adidas, not relative to OSU Nike.  In other words, wherever Michigan's overall package used to be in the last 8-9 years, they are now that plus something.  That's the "advantage" you need to think about, not specifically relative to other schools.  

15 minutes ago, Voltron_Blue said:

I mean, you have several recruits explicitly quoted as saying it does matter to them (and to be clear, the advantage is around all the swag, not just the uniforms).  You also have the fact that Jordan does 10x the shoe sales that LeBron does, even though he retired over 10 years ago.  But sure, tell us more about how you think this should work, rather than how it actually does.

Taking the snark down a level...of course OSU is going to recruit well.  You have to think about Michigan's "advantage" being relative to Michigan adidas, not relative to OSU Nike.  In other words, wherever Michigan's overall package used to be in the last 8-9 years, they are now that plus something.  That's the "advantage" you need to think about, not specifically relative to other schools.  

no when you are directly competing with those schools for recruits it does matter. sure lebrun doesn't create as much in sales but that is because all of his shoes have a higher price point, thus showing a more valuable brand, Lebrons signature shoes are going for $300 and even his soldier line go for <100 currently. Jordan's sell at lower price points and thus sell more. also there are only 2 lebrun shoe lines (maybe 4 if you count the lows) vs. jordans which have upwards of 50 different shoes selling at any one time.

7 minutes ago, dont care said:

no when you are directly competing with those schools for recruits it does matter. sure lebrun doesn't create as much in sales but that is because all of his shoes have a higher price point, thus showing a more valuable brand, Lebrons signature shoes are going for $300 and even his soldier line go for <100 currently. Jordan's sell at lower price points and thus sell more. also there are only 2 lebrun shoe lines (maybe 4 if you count the lows) vs. jordans which have upwards of 10-20 different shoes selling at any one time.

There is nobody that will agree with you that Lebron's "brand" is more valuable.  Your reasons account for something but we're talking 10x.  TEN.  

But again, OSU is gonna recruit.  It doesn't matter in that regard.  But scoffing at the impact at Michigan comes across as denial or insecurity.

4 hours ago, elliott said:

Did anyone post this a little while back? apologies if so. rumor around these parts is that Kirby Smart is going to be much more open minded when it comes to wearing alternate uniforms compared to Richt. UGA hasn't worn black uniforms since getting destroyed by Alabama I want to sayyyyy ... 8 years ago. before then, we beat auburn in a blackout game and also beat Hawaii in the sugar bowl wearing black. Recruits appear to be told that they are going to be a more regular part of the set. I wouldnt be surprised seeing these one or two times this year, potentially against Tennessee in possibly the dawgs biggest home game this season.

Cnc8tl7WEAQRg_-.jpg

Cnc2bVLWAAA74sg.jpg

I honestly don't "get" the love for these giant collars. I guess I shouldn't characterize it as "love" but it simply doesn't make sense why they continue to be in use otherwise. When the collar is a wider than the arm and/or pant stripe, you know your design is out of balance.

5 hours ago, Derek94 said:

So here's a scenario where they found a willing partner, and for UM's part in it they expect to get some movement on the recruitment front.

Sorry but your premise is just not valid. Jordan brand has been branding nike teams since the late 90'sJudging by empirical evidence, generic old stodgy nike elite programs  like duke, uk, uconn etc. have fared fairly well against the jordan branded cohort of unc, cal, cincy (back in the day) and others.  It's a nice conversation piece to say we have jordan branded nike gear but the elite programs all have the same stuff...it simply is not a factor.

For shoe consumers jordan has some serious cache, but for team sports the difference is negligible.

New look for the Apps this year. 

image.jpeg

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

2 hours ago, guest23 said:

Sorry but your premise is just not valid. Jordan brand has been branding nike teams since the late 90'sJudging by empirical evidence, generic old stodgy nike elite programs  like duke, uk, uconn etc. have fared fairly well against the jordan branded cohort of unc, cal, cincy (back in the day) and others.  It's a nice conversation piece to say we have jordan branded nike gear but the elite programs all have the same stuff...it simply is not a factor.

For shoe consumers jordan has some serious cache, but for team sports the difference is negligible.

Anecdotally, this is the only time I've cared about an NCAA uniform in ages, or at least enough to post in this thread. It was because of the Jordan brand. It matters.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

13 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Is it possible these are mockups and the final version will have the sleeve numbers? There's no reason for these not to have them.

The bar seems to cover up the shoulder numbers. 

Archived