I've been attending as many of Michigan's women's volleyball home games as I can this season, for the first time ever, because one of my sisters likes to go and my dad bought her season tickets. Thanks to that chaperoning, I've become more interested in the sport, as well as (of course) the uniforms. NCAA women's volleyball already has its own design language—or at least its own templates provided by major manufacturers—and I wanted to create a concept series where I can engage with that language, adding in some outside influences that are more familiar to me.

And so, with Jordan Brand making the unprecedented move of not only outfitting Michigan basketball but also football next season, I started imagining a future where Jordan Brand decided to outfit women's volleyball, starting at Michigan, but then extending to all the other schools who have Jordan Brand contract. I believe that this wouldn't be as much of a stretch as Jordan Brand in football, since volleyball is a court sport just like basketball, and the first "volleyball-specific" Nike shoes were just renamed Nike basketball shoes. Accordingly, I'm going to take design cues from these schools' men's basketball teams and reappropriate them for women's volleyball uniforms. (I'm using men's basketball uniforms and not women's because, as women's volleyball is exceedingly more relevant than men's, men's basketball is more relevant than women's.)

Even though Michigan basketball has never previously been outfitted by Jordan Brand, I imagine that JB will take full advantage of the ability for Michigan to once-again acknowledge the Fab Five, who pioneered a couple Nike shoes on their own, as well as introducing the baggy shorts and black socks to the college basketball crowd (which Jordan did for the NBA). Thus, I decided to carry over the trim and mismatching outlined numbers from those Fab Five-era uniforms (all 3 maize, blue, and white variations). I used the updated block Ms, though instead of including large ones on each leg of the shorts, I just stuck them on their current shorts and chest locations. Like I said, using design cues from past Jordan Brand or Jordan-esque men's basketball uniforms and reappropriating them for current Jordan Brand schools' women's volleyball unis. Here's how my first draft turned out:

Yq3Yq7w.png

I have a few questions for C&C:

• I decided to go without a similarly-trimmed collar because it didn't look right connected to the Nike piping, but do you think I could use one?
  • I don't know any Jordan Brand fonts besides the one for the Charlotte Hornets (which I used for this template). Any tips for one I could use for the jersey numbers and NOB?
  • I'm just using the official color values off Michigan's brand guidelines page, but do you think I should use a more neon maize or darker blue?
  • I'm not very scientific with my outlines (I just go with what looks right), but I feel like the blue jersey could use some thicker maize outlines for the trim. Or should I copy the Fab Five's trim completely and go maize-white-blue-white-maize?

Oh, and shoutout to Lafarge for the original women's volleyball concept thread on CCSLC, from which I acquired a women's volleyball uniforms template and who also alerted me to the "solid jersey" rule passed by the NCAA in 2013.

hey finally seeing a volleyball concept!

Not a bad start to the series! A few nitpick a though.

First, the name on back. I'm not a fan of how thin and rounded the font is compared to the number font. I'd use one that's a bit beefier to better match. Also, from what I've seen, college teams generally don't go with player NOBs. If there is one, it's generally the school or mascot name.

The B1G logo is team colored on all B1G uniform applications that I have seen.

The outlines could be slightly bigger, and I'd stick with b-w-b as you have it on the yellow.

I'm looking forward to see the direction this goes in!

First, the name on back. I'm not a fan of how thin and rounded the font is compared to the number font. I'd use one that's a bit beefier to better match. Also, from what I've seen, college teams generally don't go with player NOBs. If there is one, it's generally the school or mascot name.

I thought this was the case too, but in the National Championship, Texas became the first team I saw to have player NOBs, probably because of all the $$$ that university has and their dedication to branding through sports. Either way, I'd want NOBs, since they just help so much for the average viewer. I'll definitely look into finding a better font though.

The B1G logo is team colored on all B1G uniform applications that I have seen.

Yeah, I know conferences usually provide those team-specific conference logos in .pdf style guides, but I could only find that basic logo in .svg. I'll try and recolor it if I can find the B1G style guide and pull the colors from there.

The outlines could be slightly bigger, and I'd stick with b-w-b as you have it on the yellow.

I'll go ahead and beef up those outlines. Thanks for the C&C; I'll post my results tonight most likely.

Didn't check if the new forums were up until the 1st of this month, so I'm just now getting to posting my revised Michigan concept. Here yall go.

Michigan_2.0.png

As a mens volleyball player and a fan of women's and men's volleyball, I am super excited someone did a volleyball post. 

As for the concepts, the jersey design is pretty good and something I could definetly see a team wearing. I would kind of like seeing a solid white stripe between the maize stripes on the blue jersey. The numbers and fonts are my only gripe. It seems like Michigan did wear a number font similar to yours but I think a block number (like their football and basketball uniforms) and NOB font would look better. Overall a great start and hope to see more.

2 hours ago, natolian10 said:

As a mens volleyball player and a fan of women's and men's volleyball, I am super excited someone did a volleyball post. 

As for the concepts, the jersey design is pretty good and something I could definetly see a team wearing. I would kind of like seeing a solid white stripe between the maize stripes on the blue jersey. The numbers and fonts are my only gripe. It seems like Michigan did wear a number font similar to yours but I think a block number (like their football and basketball uniforms) and NOB font would look better. Overall a great start and hope to see more.

Thanks for the feedback. Especially appreciate it from someone who's been around the sport. 

I'm struggling on the font tbh. I wanted to use a Jordan font to stay in line with this concept series, but the only ones released by Conrad are the Hornets', UNC's 2015, and Cal's, which I decided to use for this draft of the Michigan unis, since UNC's are pretty blocky and I felt that Cal's curvier lines fit a women's uniform more. I soon realized that it was a sort of blocky font for many of the numbers, though, which threw a wrench in that plan. And I should probably adjust the kerning and size of the NOBs, but I'm not great with font design.

I can experiment with a standard block font like Michigan's iconic football uniforms, but I also might just hold off on revising this concept's font until Jordan Brand finally releases the new identity package for Michigan football and basketball in 2016. Cincinnati is next in my series and I should get started on that.

17 hours ago, seattlesonicsofsacramento said:

Thanks for the feedback. Especially appreciate it from someone who's been around the sport. 

I'm struggling on the font tbh. I wanted to use a Jordan font to stay in line with this concept series, but the only ones released by Conrad are the Hornets', UNC's 2015, and Cal's, which I decided to use for this draft of the Michigan unis, since UNC's are pretty blocky and I felt that Cal's curvier lines fit a women's uniform more. I soon realized that it was a sort of blocky font for many of the numbers, though, which threw a wrench in that plan. And I should probably adjust the kerning and size of the NOBs, but I'm not great with font design.

I can experiment with a standard block font like Michigan's iconic football uniforms, but I also might just hold off on revising this concept's font until Jordan Brand finally releases the new identity package for Michigan football and basketball in 2016. Cincinnati is next in my series and I should get started on that.

Ok yeah I understand now for the font. Maybe a block font wouldn't look better because it doesn't flow well with the line curviness. I'd still like to see it but that's up to you. And can't wait for Cincinnati. 

Just wondering are you going to make a new template for Under Armour or just use the same one?