Throwball Club Cup: 2016 Japan

jmoe12

The final African team

R0ecziv.png

Club Cup Appearances: (2016, 2010, 2002)

Best Finish: Group Stage (2010, 2002)

2015 Season Result: 95 points (1st in Throwball League of West Africa)

The Spearmen tore through the TLWA in 2015, with a physical and free-flowing style that created quite the highlight reel. While lacking some of the prestige of their Club Cup competitors, Abidjan has made the most of their opportunities, seemingly making the Cup every time they reach qualifying. However, wins at the Cup have been few and far between, collecting only 4 points through six games. These Spearmen could be the ones to change that. Romaric Igbinedion has been positively dominant since the middle of September, and he will create matchup problems most of the world has never seen.

The colors are from Ivory Coast's flag, seeing as they are Cote de Ivoire's only team. I made a sort of "tribal pattern" for the back of the shield to fill some empty space. This pattern carries onto the home kit. Clash is just something I thought Puma might do.

C&C appreciated!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two Puma teams today.

JY3sXKY.png

Club Cup Appearances: 4 (2016, 2014, 2006, 2004)

Best Finish: Quarterfinals (2004)

2015 Season Result: 87 points (2nd in English Championship Throwball)

Years ending in 6 and 4 have been kind to the Reapers. Leeds had a sensational second half of the season to move from fifth all the way up to second, and posing quite the threat for Crusaders down the stretch. Finishing second was monumental in helping Reapers qualify, as they received a first round bye and a fairly easy second round match against Paris. Make no mistake, though, Leeds is a great team. Though many criticize the slow and defensive minded style of play, it has worked perfectly for them, as they allowed the fewest goals in the ECT this season. If the defense can continue to perform, Leeds should make it at least to the Knockout Round..

Name comes from the Leeds Corn exchange, and the fact that I really wanted to try my hand at a Grim Reaper logo. Logo on the uniforms also has an L made out of a scythe. Kits are fairly simple, with the scythe pattern on the sleeves.

C&C appreciated, only 8 concepts to go!

This is so cool! Loving Abidjan! Keep up the great work.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Your 2000 World Champions, and yet another Puma team.

072gPdx.png

Club Cup Appearances: 4 (2016, 2006, 2000, 1996)

Best Finish: Champions (2000)

2015 Season Result: 93 points (2nd in ACPBU League)

Perhaps the strangest case in Club Cup history, Mendoza has reached the Cup 3 times, failing to win a single game in 2006 and 1996, but winning the whole thing with their “Los Increíbles” of 2000. Sadly, a repeat of ‘06 and ‘96 seems far more likely than another miracle run to the title. While United has built a strong side around players like Oscar Herrera and Dani Prieto, they lack the experience and world-class talent of their competition. Mendoza is definitely a threat to steal a point or two through the Group Stage, and cause some chaos at the top of the Group, but advancing to the Knockout Round seems to be a stretch.

Crest is based off of the flag of the Army of the Andes, which formed near Mendoza and fought for the liberation of Chile from Spain. Leaves around the outside represent the olive oil production of the city. Home kit is based off of the crest, with a light/blue white split. I tried to resist going all red on the clash, but that color is just so nice, I couldn't help myself.

C&C appreciated!

America's last team, and one of my favorite designs.

aptQGxk.png

Club Cup Appearances: 1 (2016)

Best Finish: N/A

2015 Season Result: 91 points (3rd in American Throwball Association)

Considered the worst franchise in America for decades, Portland has used their youth system to perfection. Bringing talent like Ezekiel Solomon, Garrett McLocklen, has vaulted this team to a Club Cup contender. Some questionable transfer decisions, however, like a $20 million transfer to bring in young star Jaeron Meeks from Cleveland, has perhaps stopped the Pioneers from experiencing even more success. Though lacking the glamour of Empire New York or TC Azteca, Portland has a well balanced and dynamic squad that will be tough to eliminate. They should be able to challenge for the top spot in their group.

Like I said, one of my favorite designs. The logo is a stylized pioneer facing west, towards the Pacific. Home kit features a simple plaid pattern, which is carried in stripe form to the clash.

C&C appreciated!

St. Petersburg!

4bPAQTP.png

Club Cup Appearances: 3 (2016, 2010, 2004)

Best Finish: Round of 16 (2004)

2015 Season Result: 87 points (3rd in Russian Throwball Federation)

Often overshadowed by their cross-town rivals St. Petersburg City, Czars have burst onto the scene, finishing near the top of the table for the last 5 years, including 2nd last year. Talented acquisitions like Alexander Dvoynev, Stasya Kokolov, and Valeri Krupin have formed a formidable perimeter attack that was a headache for league-mates to defend. The Czars will need this outside attack to remain potent if they want to reach the Knockout Round. A glaring weakness has been post play, where Zakhar Filipov has been consistently manhandled. If Filipov can’t hold his own down low, St. Petersburg will struggle to compete.

Crest is a silhouette of the Bronze Horseman statue, a monument to Czar Peter the great. The statue sits on top of the Thunder Rock, the heaviest rock ever moved by humans. The text reads "St. Petersburg" in Cyrillic. Kits are fairly simple, with an asymmetrical stripe running across the chest.
C&C appreciated!

The capital of Brazil

YNB45tJ.png

Club Cup Appearances: 2 (2016, 2010)

Best Finish: Round of 16 (2010)

2015 Season Result: 90 points (2nd in Brazilian Federation of Throwball)

The Macaws don’t make the Cup often, but when they do, they make a splash. Their only trip resulted in a group win, and a Knockout Round bid, which resulted in a tragic loss to Phoenix. These Macaws can easily do the same, and likely will be able to top it. Brasilia was surprisingly able to hang with league giants Salvador for most of the season, finishing just five points back of the Saints. Leonardo Ortiz and Ezequiel Pienhiero form a potent inside-outside combo that combined for 53 goals throughout the season, and 4 more in two qualifying games. This duo, combined with support from Deodato, and Rufinio Rosario, will be difficult to contain.

This was a fun one to make. I tried to avoid the "fierce" look, opting instead for a more devious or smirking look. The kits are different. I wanted to use a sleeve stripe like that for the entire series, and this seemed like as good a shirt as any. The clash features a design kinda similar to the city flag, but I'm not sure it's working.

C&C appreciated, both good and bad

Dusseldorf

pyb8Vas.png

Club Cup Appearances: 6 (2016, 2014, 2012, 2010, 2002, 1994)

Best Finish: 4th (2012)

2015 Season Result: 91 points (3rd in Deutschland Throwball Association)

Even though they had a disappointing season in 2015, Dusseldorf is a team that should never be taken lightly. A woeful start to the season saw them in 6th at the mid-season transfer window, and even though they didn’t buy anything, the short break gave them time to clear their heads. They returned with a renewed focus that saw them fly up to the top into a tie with Amsterdam, but they ran out of gas in November and fell down to third. This team is one that no one will want to see drawn into their group in February. They have experience, chemistry, and world-class talent like Kaleb Schreiber that will be near impossible to top.

This one needs a bit of explanation. Inside the roundel are two boys cartwheeling. Cartwheeling is a tradition in Dusseldorf, and they have a festival every year where they see who can cartwheel the best. Don't believe me? Click here. The crest underneath the roundel is the city seal, and the six bands represent the six championships Dusseldorf have won.

First post on the updated CCSLC!

ZzSud31.png

Club Cup Appearances: 2 (2016, 2014)

Best Finish: Group Stage (2014)

2015 Season Result: 93 points (2nd in Baltic Throwball League)

Despite a large amount of success in the BTL over the years, Helsinki missed the first 10 playings of the Club Cup. But some huge purchases of young superstars from across Europe has reinvigorated a static franchise, and lifted them to a title in 2014, and, if not for a late-season collapse, would have led them to another last year. The millions and millions poured into the transfer market to sign Mikhail Robinson, Xander Kempe, and Andris Tevarde have appeared to be well worth it, as Voyageurs have a young core of stars that should remain in top form for years to come.

Logo is basically just the city seal of Helsinki, which I love. Home kit is pretty basic, clash has a weird split thing on the top.

C&C appreciated!

The last day!

E5zPsAK.png

2015 Season Result: 92 points (3rd in Canadian Throwball Premiership)

Ottawa had been near the bottom of the CTP for years, with stingy owners claiming the team was “rebuilding”. The supporters grew more and more angry as each year they finished out of the Canadian Cup and in the bottom half of the standings. But new ownership, installed in in 2013, implemented a high-spending style to bring in some fantastic players like Jalen Miller from the United States and Lionel Gint from England. These stars, joined in 2014 by Colby Beauford and Amir Anthony, have lifted the Force from the laughingstock of Canada to a contender for years to come. This Cup will be their first chance to prove themselves on the international stage.

I struggled with this one. I made several renditions of the logo, but none of them turned out quite the way I wanted. As you can see, the identity is based on the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The home kits are based on a Mountie uniform. The clash is just a modified version of the home.

C&C appreciated, and concept #32 will be up this afternoon.

The last team!!

DuL9co8.png

Version 1

Spoiler

SCDQgSQ.png

2015 Season Result: 91 points (2nd in South Pacific Super League)

The highest-rated neutral zone press in the world wreaked havoc on the SPSL, nearly leading Death Adders to the title. But long periods of offensive ineptitude plagued the Adders all season. There is plenty of talent on the roster, with Tupai Kaeaea, Jayden Ross, and Ahmed Nguyen leading a deadly counter-attack. Unfortunately, when the turnover well runs dry, Adders have struggled to score off of the set offense. If the offense cannot consistently find the back of the net, and Wollongong runs into a team that can handle the ball, they will have a tough time claiming any points.

Let's just say this was not the direction I originally intended this concept to go. I was trying for a more sleek and modern logo, but nothing I did looked quite right, and I fell in love with the crest shape. Uniforms are pretty classic, with hoops on the home, and a "black venom" clash.

C&C appreciated, the draw for the groups will be up tomorrow!

3 minutes ago, jmoe12 said:

The last team!!

SCDQgSQ.png

2015 Season Result: 91 points (2nd in South Pacific Super League)

The highest-rated neutral zone press in the world wreaked havoc on the SPSL, nearly leading Death Adders to the title. But long periods of offensive ineptitude plagued the Adders all season. There is plenty of talent on the roster, with Tupai Kaeaea, Jayden Ross, and Ahmed Nguyen leading a deadly counter-attack. Unfortunately, when the turnover well runs dry, Adders have struggled to score off of the set offense. If the offense cannot consistently find the back of the net, and Wollongong runs into a team that can handle the ball, they will have a tough time claiming any points.

Let's just say this was not the direction I originally intended this concept to go. I was trying for a more sleek and modern logo, but nothing I did looked quite right, and I fell in love with the crest shape. Uniforms are pretty classic, with hoops on the home, and a "black venom" clash.

C&C appreciated, the draw for the groups will be up tomorrow!

Death Adders are stunning! A perfect colour combination.

However, maybe add some "Blood Red" on the alternate as striping or something.

I'm also a big fan of the crest. At the moment though that 'W' isn't really working for me. Maybe widen it a tad, I'm not sure.

Just now, Spanna65 said:

Death Adders are stunning! A perfect colour combination.

However, maybe add some "Blood Red" on the alternate as striping or something.

I'm also a big fan of the crest. At the moment though that 'W' isn't really working for me. Maybe widen it a tad, I'm not sure.

Liking the red idea, I'll give that a shot, and I'll widen the W, I think that should fix it.

On 06/01/2016 at 7:09 PM, jmoe12 said:

9jeR8BN.png

Being a brazilian, I'll start commenting the brazilian teams. I'm not getting the thing with S in Salvador, since this isn't appearing in the uniform, but I like the idea of Saints as a tribute to All-Saints bay. The home uniform is too much plain to my taste. Maybe some sublimation would improve this.

On 15/01/2016 at 10:15 AM, jmoe12 said:

42SFlSk.png

I believe you tried to get something with São Paulo FC (Uniforms currently provided by Under Armour and my beloved football team), but I feel the red sash don't need black outline. It looks something kinda heavy with that outline. Alternate is just plain away. I think something could improve it.

On 18/01/2016 at 7:35 PM, jmoe12 said:

YNB45tJ.png

I don't get any connection between Brasilia and Macaws at all. Brasilia's environment is more interesting for nicknames like Anteaters or Wolves. Brasilia is the national capital and also a city planned in form of an airplane, and this could give some ideas. The scheme is good. The colors are good. But this team is mislocated, IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback, Spanna and Johnny!

I've updated the teams in their original posts, but here is an outline of the changes.

Wollongong: Widened the W on the badge, and added some red detail to the clash. Gives it sort of an Arizona Diamondbacks feel.

Salvador: I'll admit, Johnny, the S is not that obvious. It was originally just supposed to be a pattern evoking the rolling waves of the beach, but I looked at it after I was done, saw an S, kinda, and went with it. I've updated the home kits with a sublimated diagonal stripe pattern.

Sao Paulo: It's true, I did base it off of the football team. I updated the kits and badge by removing the black outline on the sash, and added a SPFC inspired stripe to the chest of the clash.

Brasilia: My inspiration for the name was that Brasilia is the capital, and the Macaw is the national bird. If it really doesn't fit, I'll relocate them, but for now, I'll keep them in the capital.

The first half of the draw is complete, the second half will be up this afternoon

ovV88Xc.png

Group A

Definitely one of the toughest groups, Group A features 2 champions and the 2014 runners-up. Three of these teams, Toronto, Legion, and Helsinki were three of the top contenders to win the competition before the draw, and it is a shame that one of them will be missing the Knockout Round. Mendoza seems highly overmatched against these world heavyweights, but they could steal a point or two and turn the group standings on its head.

Group B

Another loaded group, Group B contains 4 teams that had expected to reach the Round of 16. Even though they were in the top pot, Sydney Kookaburras are probably the least likely to make it through. All of these teams have exploitable weaknesses, Dusseldorf’s lack of speed, Ottawa’s inexperience, Stockholm’s poor wing play, and Sydney’s lack of depth. The teams that can best compensate for their weaknesses will be the two that advance.

Group C

This group is incredibly weak, especially when compared to the two above it. Empire should breeze through to the top spot, but the second bid is up for grabs. Bordeaux is the solid favorite, but Abidjan, with Romeric Igbinedion, is a darkhorse, and Sapporo could make some noise. The race for second will come down to who, if anyone, can take points off of New York, and who can find ways to scrape out points in tough situations.

Group D

This group features three prolific, high-flying offenses, and Wollongong. Turin, Azteca, and Salvador all average north of 5.5 goals per game, while Death Adders allow just 3.6 gpg. If the Death Adders can hold their own against these prolific attacks, they will be in a great position to advance. But if they can’t contain the firepower of Salvador and Azteca, the two Latin American sides should be through easily. Turin could cause an upset, but the Bulls are unlikely to advance.

Archived