Hand-Drawn Soccer Drawings III: MLB-As-Soccer Crossover (COMPLETED!)

TheGiantsFan

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha
On 3/7/2016 at 3:51 PM, coco1997 said:

The Mets are one of the best you've done so far. The shield, the stripes---everything works perfectly together.

Agreed.  This should exist in the real world today.  Great stuff.  Love watching you continually top yourself.  (still waiting for the glorious day when you decide to conquer Illustrator or Photoshop).  

On 3/6/2016 at 8:50 PM, RedfieldNick said:

Good lawdy, these have been terrific!!

On 3/6/2016 at 6:29 AM, rsaline said:

That shield:

latest?cb=20130306110059

On 3/6/2016 at 1:51 PM, coco1997 said:

The Mets are one of the best you've done so far. The shield, the stripes---everything works perfectly together.

Glad the Mets set was well-received on here; it was indeed a really cool and fun concept to do. :)

(That GIF brings back great memories of that chant that was brought to the Giants by Hunter Pence in that glorious 2014 season, by the way)

On 3/9/2016 at 4:18 PM, darkpiranha said:

Agreed.  This should exist in the real world today.  Great stuff.  Love watching you continually top yourself.  (still waiting for the glorious day when you decide to conquer Illustrator or Photoshop).  

Glad you liked it! :)

I have been using Photoshop for the past seven months or so, albeit for photo editing (mostly for the Yearbook) and some poster work. I haven't quite yet gotten to making original art on it yet, but I might try it out one day for you~

On 3/9/2016 at 5:49 PM, JosiahWVU said:

Looks awesome! For the Royals I suggest royal blue and maybe some gold. Maybe also make a World Series patch like in soccer. Can't wait to see the rest especially the Pirates. 

Thanks! :) 

I decided to take your advice on the championship patch (the colors I already had an idea on) for the Royals. Got any suggestions for Pittsburgh, though?

------------------------------------------------------------------

American League CENTRAL

Royal Kansas City

Kansas City, Missouri

Founded: 1969

Championships: 2 (1985, 2015)

Kansas City Royals Logos

25148778843_a968120453_c.jpg

The Royals' shield "KC" logo is simply a soccer logo waiting to happen, so I used it with very small changes (I got rid of the black dropshadow that's still there for some reason). That's all there it for the crest, and the royal blue/powder blue/white color scheme is what the Royals currently wear.

The home kit is a simple, all-royal blue kit. The clash kit is powder blue, as a nod to the road jersey color and trim from 1973 to 1991 (including the 1985 championship). Both kits feature a sublimated, simplified Kansas/Missouri boundary line, just like in Sporting Kansas City's logo and 2013 primary kit. To denote their recent 2015 championship, Kansas City wears a FIFA-style patch, albeit with the World Series trophy (suggested by JosiahWVU). The kits are supplied by Puma, and the sponsor is AMC, the Kansas City area-based movie theater chain.

Up next, Philadelphia!

~ Daryl

On 3/14/2016 at 9:35 AM, coco1997 said:

The Royals are solid. Simple but effective.

They've got a really classy look, and so I decided to keep 'em like that. Glad you liked it! :)

On 3/14/2016 at 0:27 PM, JosiahWVU said:

Royals look great. For the Pirates I would do something based off this.

andrew-mccutchen-021816-usnews-getty-ftr

Thanks! :) 

I'll certainly use that suggestion; the sleeve striping I could definitely use, and the cap design I could easily incorporate into the jersey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

National League EAST

Philly AC

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Founded: 1883

Championships: 2 (1980, 2008)

Philadelphia Phillies Logos

25640099200_c1d6d848ab_c.jpg

Firstly, the name "Philly Athletic Club" contains a nod to the Philadelphia Athletics, the city's old AL team that now resides in the East Bay. Other than the name, this identity is all Phillies. The shield in the crest is taken from the flag of Philadelphia, with the Phillies' Liberty Bell logo at front and center. Inside the shield is two tones of red: the red of today and the maroon of the past. To differentiate the Phillies from the league's red/white/blue teams, I decided to highlight powder blue instead of today's shade of blue. The "scroll" at the bottom is carefully shaped to resemble the curves of the 1970-1991 cap logo

The home kit is a combination of both the Phillies' current home jersey and the 1970-1991 home jerseys, with the brighter red pinstripes complemented by the maroon Adidas stripes. The clash kit is a maroon top with powder blue shorts, trim, and back number; I very almost used the infamous 1979 "Saturday Night Specials" jerseys, but I realized that they were bad luck and not something good as I expected, so I used powder blue shorts instead of maroon. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is Comcast.

I'm finally on spring break with no homework and with Yearbook almost entirely completed, so I hope to speed up this thread once again this week. Houston's next, and any suggestions in tackling the Astros' many design eras into one design is appreciated! :)

~ Daryl

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2016 at 1:58 PM, coco1997 said:

Phillies look sweet. Love the retro colors and pinstripes!

As far as how to incorporate the different Astros looks into one design, I like how this artist pulled it off.

Glad you liked the Phillies! :)

As for that concept idea, I decided to use a different concept (which I'll show on this post) for my inspiration for Houston...

On 3/20/2016 at 2:56 PM, JosiahWVU said:

Phillies look awesome. Love the current pinstripes and throwback maroon.

As for the Astros I would use the tequila sunrise. 

Thank you! :)

And the Tequila Sunrise was definitely in the books when I began this series, and it's coming right to you now! 

On 3/21/2016 at 5:38 PM, RedfieldNick said:

:notworthy:

Glad you liked it! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I lied when I said that I was gonna make more concepts over my spring break, which was two weeks ago. GTA V is one addicting game, you know...? With that aside, here's the next concept!

American League WEST

Houston SC

Houston, Texas

Founded: 1962

Championships: 0

Houston Astros Logos

26283682895_a2a647e7df_c.jpg

The Astros were one hard to team to make a combination of eras out of, especially considering the plethora of color schemes and motifs they have used over their 50-year history. I struggled to come up with a cohesive logo for Houston, until I stumbled upon this Astros logo concept by Evan Hessler on Behance. I modified that planet motif and added the star "tail" from the Astros' 1965-1974 home wordmarks and the open star used in the 1990s blue/gold identity and again in the 2000s brick/sand identity; the curve of the "tail" is my very subtle nod to the Astros' first few seasons as the Colt .45s, with the curve loosely based on the "C" of the Colts' wordmark. The "H" is taken from the current Astros cap logo.

The Astros' [in]famous 1975-1986 Tequila Sunrise jerseys is easily translated into the home kit, with the rainbow removed on the sleeves for a cleaner look; the darkened red and the sand base color are tweaks to the original Tequila Sunrise to accommodate the 2000-2012 color scheme. The home kit is a navy blue jersey, the only nod to the 1994-1999 color scheme that I could come up with, that has a diagonal sash with the Tequila Sunrise pattern. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is Whataburger because 1) it's Texas and 2) I felt that an oil company would be too depressing a sponsor logo for the Astros.

Up next, Pittsburgh!

~ Daryl

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/7/2016 at 5:58 AM, RedfieldNick said:

Tequila Sunrise! I knew it! Makes terrific soccer kits!

It's certainly a soccer jersey-worth design!

On 4/7/2016 at 3:32 PM, JosiahWVU said:

Beautiful!!!!!! That logo is my favorite so far! 

Thank you! Glad you liked it! :)

On 4/7/2016 at 3:55 PM, coco1997 said:

The Astros are pretty much everything I hoped they'd be. Well worth the wait. 

2/3 of the way through the league!

Glad you liked Houston! :)

And we're almost to finishing this one~

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't had all that much time and motivation (Senioritis is real) the past month, but I finally got around to finishing Pittsburgh!

National League CENTRAL

Pittsburgh SC

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Founded: 1882

Championships: 5 (1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979)

Pittsburgh Pirates Logos

26775063781_4e28595e45_c.jpg

Although only the "P" primary/cap logo is taken from any of the Pirates' logo history, the crest combines both pirate imagery and Pittsburgh civic symbols.The rather-unusual shape of the crest I designed to look like the front of a pirate ship, with the "sail" containing the "P" and the "body" of the ship bearing the team's inception date of 1882. Two yellow swords adorn either side of the shield. As far a civic symbols go, a two-tone black checkered pattern (and the black/yellow color scheme) is an homage to the Pittsburgh city seal, featured on the Pittsburgh flag; there is also a very subtle steel beam hidden on the swords, as a nod to Pittsburgh's nickname as the "Steel City". 

The home kit is simply a soccerized version of the yellow 1979 jerseys (reincarnated as a 2016 alternate), with the stripes from the pillbox caps being featured on the upper torso; thanks to JosiahWVU for suggesting this jersey. The clash kit is basically a mixture of the checkers of the Columbus Crew 2016 home kit and the trim of the Pirates' current black alternate jersey. The kits are supplied by Puma, and the sponsor is Heinz.

Up next, Detroit!

~ Daryl

On 5/6/2016 at 7:44 PM, RedfieldNick said:

:notworthy: U Rock! Excellent work with Pittsburgh!

On 5/6/2016 at 9:05 AM, darkpiranha said:

Pittsburgh is amazing.  

Glad you guys liked Pittsburgh! :)

On 5/6/2016 at 8:40 PM, coco1997 said:

Pittsburgh looks wonderful! The crest with the swords is fantastic. 

We're getting pretty close to seeing the team I'm most excited for, the White Sox!

For a team called the Pirates, pirate swords were bound to make it into the identity somehow~

For the White Sox, I'm thinking of basing the soccer identity mostly out of the retro stuff, though any suggestions (especially from a Sox fan like you) would be pretty cool! :)

On 5/6/2016 at 1:03 PM, JosiahWVU said:

Awesome! For Detroit I would say classic for the home, blue or white, and orange for the clash.

Thanks! For the final look, I actually switched around your suggestions for the colors, which you'll see in just a bit...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American League CENTRAL

SC Detroit

Detroit, Michigan

Founded: 1901

Championships: 4 (1935, 1945, 1968, 1984)

Detroit Tigers Logos

26300044314_c809d2328b_c.jpg

The Tigers have maintained a very simply and classy look, so I decided to keep it that way for their soccer crossover. The crest is very simply the variant of the "D" jersey logo that the Tigers have continuously worn on their home jerseys since 1934. 

For a team called the "Tigers", a striped jersey would have been inevitable, and here it is; it's an orange/navy blue jersey based on the stripes on this super obscure 2000-2002 alternate logo. The clash kit is the classic home jersey with a Detroit twist: the addition of navy blue racing stripes as a nod to the Motor City; the trim is based on the 1972-1993 road jerseys. The kits are supplied by Umbro, and the sponsor is Ford.

Up next, San Diego! Any suggestions on how to tackle their identity mess into one would be greatly appreciated! :)

~ Daryl

Archived