Hand-Drawn Soccer Drawings III: MLB-As-Soccer Crossover (COMPLETED!)

TheGiantsFan

Detroit is very solid. Simple and tasteful, just as the Tigers have always looked.

You can go a million different directions with the Padres but my only request is that you use brown.

As for your question about the White Sox, their 1976 'softball' uniforms were basically soccer uniforms, complete with collars and shorts! I would combine that look with their '83 beach blanket unis but keep their current and now classic color scheme.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

The Tigers look beautiful and I love the reference to the former road uni on the clash, it's one of my favorite tigers uniforms. Can't wait for the Padres and white sox, keep it up man!

On 5/9/2016 at 11:52 AM, coco1997 said:

Detroit is very solid. Simple and tasteful, just as the Tigers have always looked.

You can go a million different directions with the Padres but my only request is that you use brown.

As for your question about the White Sox, their 1976 'softball' uniforms were basically soccer uniforms, complete with collars and shorts! I would combine that look with their '83 beach blanket unis but keep their current and now classic color scheme.

Glad you liked Detroit! :)

The Padres very definitely have brown, and I'll try to use your suggestions for the White Sox when I get there!

On 5/9/2016 at 0:29 PM, JosiahWVU said:

Looks great! For San Diego brown and yellow would be great and blue and yellow. Maybe something similar to this years All Star Game.

padres-home-run-derby-cap.jpg

I decided on going with both your suggested color schemes, but with blue and sand instead of blue and yellow. You'll see~

22 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I hope we haven't seen the end of this series!

This thread is not dead, my friend! :D I just came off of graduating high school and stuff, but now it's all back in order for summer vacation! :)

10 minutes ago, BenD said:

The Tigers look beautiful and I love the reference to the former road uni on the clash, it's one of my favorite tigers uniforms. Can't wait for the Padres and white sox, keep it up man!

Glad you liked the Tigers, my friend! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

National League WEST

Padres FC

San Diego, California

Founded: 1969

Championships: 0

San Diego Padres Logos

27169130740_c678ccb8f3_c.jpg

At first, the Padres' visual mess was hard to sort out for a soccer concept. But then you bring in the virtue of home/clash kits, allowing be to tackle two of the Padres' many color schemes, which I'll discuss more when I get to the kits. I named the team "Padres Football Club" as a nod to the heavy Spanish and Mexican influence in the area. The shape of the crest combines the "skyline" of the Mission San Diego de Alcalá (California's first Franciscan mission, as well as a nod to the actual Franciscan priests that the team is named after) and the bottom of the Padres' alternate logo with Petco Park. The "PFC" monogram logo is stylized like the 1968-1984 cap logo, with the "wave" motif at the bottom of the crest being a nod to the 2004-2011 primary logo.

The home kit is a simple brown/yellow jersey inspired by the 1978 yellow jersey. The clash kit is a hybrid of current navy blue alt and the new camo alt, with sand lettering and trim to hearken to the 2004-2011 sand identity. As a nod to the heavy Navy presence in San Diego, both kits have a sublimated camo design on the torso and on the back. The number font I used was the distinctive 2004-2011 number font. The kits are supplied by New Balance, and the sponsor is Qualcomm. 

Up next, Cleveland! Any suggestions for the Indians, and any of the remaining teams, are always appreciated! :)

~ Daryl

On 6/4/2016 at 10:56 PM, RedfieldNick said:

Too cool!! I'm gonna be in San Diego for the first week of July, I wonder how they would react.

I'm also gonna be in San Diego this summer, albeit next week. Glad you liked Padres FC! :)

On 6/5/2016 at 7:41 AM, Paul Lucas said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 6/5/2016 at 8:21 AM, coco1997 said:

The Padres look excellent. Well worth the wait!

And I agree with Paul Lucas above me--Those '70s Indians-styled unis are a must. 

Thanks for suggesting the 70s uniforms for Cleveland! I decided on going with these, with a twist on the blue one.

Glad you liked San Diego, coco1997! :)

On 6/6/2016 at 6:39 PM, JosiahWVU said:

San Diego looks great. Agree with the previous posts about Cleveland. I would also include Chief Wahoo somewhere.

Thank you! :)

I decided to incorporate elements of Chief Wahoo in here, albeit in a much more tasteful way, which you'll see in just a bit...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

American League CENTRAL

Cleveland Chiefs SC

Cleveland, Ohio

Founded: 1901

Championships: 2 (1920, 1948)

Cleveland Indians Logos

27490576036_08541de6a4_c.jpg

The Cleveland Indians were quite a challenge for me to make a tasteful identity out of, since they have one of the more controversial mascots (Chief Wahoo) in American professional sports. I was originally gonna make a "headdress" logo out of the 1973-1977 cap logo, but then I stumbled upon the shield found on the flag of Cleveland: I decided to combine that shield with Chief Wahoo's feather for a more tasteful nod to Native Americans. Also, I decided to use the name "Chiefs" instead of "Indians" for a more honorable way to have the team name."Chiefs SC" on the crest is stylized like the current block "CLEVELAND" road wordmark, with navy blue lettering and red trim.

The home kit is basically a soccer version of the Indians' 1975 red jersey, as first suggested by Paul Lucas. The clash kit is more a combination of eras, however (because there are already too many solid navy blue jerseys): the navy blue sleeves are colored like the 2002-2007 sleveless alternate jerseys, the side stripes taken from the 1989-1993 jerseys, the cream base taken from the current cream alternate jersey, and the number coloration (as well as that on the home kit) taken from the road jerseys. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is Progressive.

Up next, your 2016 World Series champion San Francisco Giants! (It's an even year, after all~)

~ Daryl

Guest darkpiranha

Chiefs SC is another winner.  Love love love the thought process that goes into each one of these.  Thanks for sharing it.  

23 hours ago, JosiahWVU said:

Great job on Cleveland. I'm sure you have something for your team, but I suggest a logo similar to these:

San Francisco Giants (2014 - 2014)San Francisco Giants (2015 - Pres)

Glad you liked Cleveland, my friend! :)

As for the Giants, I went a completely different direction from your suggestion, but the Golden Gate Bridge is definitely in there! 

15 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

Chiefs SC is another winner.  Love love love the thought process that goes into each one of these.  Thanks for sharing it.  

Thank you! :)

I'm glad that you liked all my descriptions of the concepts! I tried my best to incorporate many different elements from teams' visual histories into their soccer look, with some original stuff (that I made up myself) added in there as well~

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

National League WEST
San Francisco SC

San Francisco, California

Founded: 1883

Championships: 8 (1905, 1921, 1922, 1933, 1954, 2010, 2012, 2014)

San Francisco Giants Logos

26937452973_d2532c8baa_c.jpg

From the beginnings of this series, I already had a basic idea for my team, and I wanted to give them a classy, imposing look. The crest itself is a classy, English-style soccer crest, with a miner's spade shield (alluding to the California Gold Rush of the 1850s) with the Golden Gate Bridge (a la 1970s San Francisco Warriors); the two seals that adorn either side of the shield are a nod to the minor league San Francisco Seals, which was the City's baseball team before the Giants moved in in 1958 (the Seals live on today in the Giants' mascot Lou Seal).

The home kit is basically the current cream home jerseys (with its number drop shadow motif as well) combined with the trim from the 1977-1982 uniforms. The black clash kit takes the number drop shadow from the Giants' new BP jerseys, and trim also from the aforementioned 1977-1982 uniform set. Both kits feature a sublimated pinstriped design as a nod to the cables of the Golden Gate Bridge; it can also be reeeeally stretched to be considered a nod to various pinstriped New York Giants jerseys from 1911 to 1932. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is Lyft, an Uber-like San Francisco startup that endorsed the Giants in 2015.

Up next, we go to Chicago's South Side!

~ Daryl

SF looks great, great job on the logo. For the White Sox, I would use the current color scheme for the home. And this was just made to be a soccer kit:

ws-13-throwback-1-675x380.jpg

Or maybe that as the first, and these as your clash:

WhiteSoxUnis082715.jpg

I know you don't do thirds, but maybe current(home), chest stripe(clash), and shorts as the third.

IxkieML.png

Giants set looks awesome, can't wait for the white sox, I hope you do something kinda crazy for them. That SF crest is something else, my only complaint is that the orange shorts look a little too bright.

The crests for the last two teams are nothing short of brilliant. Seriously, some of your best work, especially for the Giants!

As I (and others) have suggested previously, I hope you go with some combination of the mid-80s and late '70s White Sox uniforms. There's an infinite number of directions you could take with the Sox because they've had so many wildly different looks over the years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2016 at 0:16 PM, JosiahWVU said:

SF looks great, great job on the logo. For the White Sox, I would use the current color scheme for the home. And this was just made to be a soccer kit:

ws-13-throwback-1-675x380.jpg

Or maybe that as the first, and these as your clash:

WhiteSoxUnis082715.jpg

I know you don't do thirds, but maybe current(home), chest stripe(clash), and shorts as the third.

I actually combined these two suggestions into a single design, which you'll see in just a little bit~ :)

On 6/8/2016 at 4:31 PM, BenD said:

Giants set looks awesome, can't wait for the white sox, I hope you do something kinda crazy for them. That SF crest is something else, my only complaint is that the orange shorts look a little too bright.

I'm glad you liked San Francisco! :) As for the orange, I actually used the normal orange colored pencil for those shorts; I think the scanner made it look brighter than it actually is.

As for Chicago, I combined a traditional look with something a little outlandish...

On 6/8/2016 at 7:06 PM, Silence of the Rams said:

Hmm. as an idea. What about something based on the attire of a Chicago native eRc9IN0E34Q.jpg

Black, white, and red is definitely in the White Sox concept, with the Chicago flag stars used for championships...

On 6/8/2016 at 8:03 PM, rsaline said:

Oh man the seals are great on SF!

On 6/8/2016 at 7:38 PM, coco1997 said:

The crests for the last two teams are nothing short of brilliant. Seriously, some of your best work, especially for the Giants!

As I (and others) have suggested previously, I hope you go with some combination of the mid-80s and late '70s White Sox uniforms. There's an infinite number of directions you could take with the Sox because they've had so many wildly different looks over the years. 

The San Francisco crest is personally one of the better logos I have made, and I'm glad that y'all liked it! :) From the very beginning, I knew I wanted to add seals in there somehow...

I've actually taken all these White Sox suggestions (yours and everyone else's) into consideration for this upcoming concept. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took some time off as we went to southern California this past week, but now I'm back and at it again at the final leg of this series!

American League CENTRAL

Chicago City SC

Chicago, Illinois

Founded: 1901

Championships: 3 (1906, 1917, 2005)

Chicago White Sox Logos

27250012194_7d209a4108_c.jpg

My soccerized White Sox concept is a combination of eras concept all around. Before I get into the crest, however, I shall go into the name first: being closer to downtown Chicago than the crosstown rival Chicago North SC, I decided to name the Sox "Chicago City". As far as the crest goes, it's basically a "CCSC" monogram in the stylings of the 1936-1938 primary logo with the black and red color scheme of the 1951-1963 alternate logo. Just like Chicago North, the stars from the flag of Chicago are used for championship stars.

The home kit is basically a black/white/red version of the Sox's throwback "Beach Blanket" jerseys, used regularly between 1982 and 1986. The clash kit is basically the same as the home kit, albeit with the Sox's current black/white/gray color scheme. Both kits use the collar from the 1976-1981 jerseys and the number font from this 2006 throwback uniform to 1906 (I couldn't find the font set nor pictures of this jersey anywhere, and it just conveniently turned out that Jose Abreu's number is Chris Creamer's "97" reversed). The kits are supplied by Puma, and the sponsor is Chicago-based United Airlines.

Up next, St. Louis! As always, any suggestions are welcomed! :)

~ Daryl

Archived