So the vote to change the '12 teams for a conference championship' is going to take place on January 15. If the vote does not pass, there is a very good chance that the Big XII expands. Even if it does pass, I'd still like to see the Big XII get back to 12.

So my question to everyone is: would you like to see the Big XII expand back to 12, who should they go get, and why?

My personal opinion:

As much as I'd love to steal other Power 5 teams such as Iowa, Arkansas, or Northwestern, I don't think that any of those schools would leave their conferences for a less-prosperous Big XII. So, I would have to go with Cincinnati and Memphis for the following reasons:

The markets in those cities is large and ready for the taking.

You can steal the recruiting market from Ohio State with Cincy and from Tennessee and Vandy in Memphis.

Breaking into Big 10 and SEC territory with each pickup respectively.

Geographical hole-filler between West Virginia and the rest of the conference.

Both schools have strong up-and-coming football programs.

Incredible basketball history, especially in recent years.

The ability to fill the old divisions: North--Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, West Virginia, Memphis, Cincy

South--Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech

Any other thoughts? Anyone agree? Let me hear your opinions!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this belongs in the Sports in General forum ...

But ... I'll chime in.

The biggest thing I see is there needs to be a geographic (or close to it) rival for West Virginia. A few that come to mind are Cincinnati, Memphis or maybe ... Louisville? I don't know what the terms are of buyout with the ACC? If that's even wanted?

I could see Cincinnati and Louisville added if it's not that big of a buyout.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if they chose a Cincinnati and then somewhere relatively close to Texas/Oklahoma -- like a Houston or Memphis maybe?

I know BYU will be hopeful to get an invite along with Boise State, but I don't see much of a westward expansion considering West Virginia.

So ... yeah ... should be fun to watch unfold to see what it does to the Power 5.

If the Big 12 has to expand, target number 1 has to be BYU. Plain and simple.

It's not so much about westward expansion as it is a chance for BYU to get into the CFP on a yearly basis. Right now, the Cougars are in no man's land in terms of getting into the playoff, leaving them with trips to Las Vegas and Miami should they do well... now, it's nice to think about that, but I think they want to be in a conference again for football. Yeah, just football. No need to tip the apple cart that is the WCC.

As for the other school... well, this is where it gets tricky. I would love to see Houston make the move up, but Texas would probably block it. Memphis... eh. They might be happy where they are. Same with Louisville.

So the vote to change the '12 teams for a conference championship' is going to take place on January 15. If the vote does not pass, there is a very good chance that the Big XII expands. Even if it does pass, I'd still like to see the Big XII get back to 12.

So my question to everyone is: would you like to see the Big XII expand back to 12, who should they go get, and why?

My personal opinion:

As much as I'd love to steal other Power 5 teams such as Iowa, Arkansas, or Northwestern, I don't think that any of those schools would leave their conferences for a less-prosperous Big XII. So, I would have to go with Cincinnati and Memphis for the following reasons:

The markets in those cities is large and ready for the taking.

You can steal the recruiting market from Ohio State with Cincy and from Tennessee and Vandy in Memphis.

Breaking into Big 10 and SEC territory with each pickup respectively.

Geographical hole-filler between West Virginia and the rest of the conference.

Both schools have strong up-and-coming football programs.

Incredible basketball history, especially in recent years.

The ability to fill the old divisions: North--Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, West Virginia, Memphis, Cincy

South--Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech

Any other thoughts? Anyone agree? Let me hear your opinions!

They are also towns which kinda don't care about either school in regards to football. UC is 4th in its own city behind the Bengals, Reds, and even the Buckeyes. Memphis has TN, Arky and Ole Miss fans within the metro area and they draw at the Liberty Bowl unless it is a night game because they're busy watching SEC on CBS.

Taking recruits from the Ohio/Kentucky border and from the state of Tennessee as a whole means little since B1G can use satellite camps in both SEC and Big XII territory. Plus, the state of Tennessee is in the bottom half of where SEC signees come from and the Vols sign only 26% of their players inside the state. Vandy is only at 17%. That Memphis roster has lots of Dallas and Tampa kids.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/print?id=102510

Boren is on their committee with Ken Starr and Gordon Gee. He wants 12 and visited both Memphis and UC in December 2014. Even at 0-12, UCF is the school to pick in terms of future growt, growing alumni base and academics with new medical school.

My guess is BYU (Market and fan base is national) and Cincinnati (to link w/ WVU, plus is a gateway to Ohio's recruiting.)

I do think UCF makes a lot of sense, but I doubt it will happen.

0-12 helped them a lot. (Yes, I know KU went 0-12, but they have basketball)

Ok I'm a USF fan and this discussion has been talked about for a long time on USF forums. The candidates all seem to point towards and eastern presence.

- USF

- UCF

- Cincinnati

- Memphis

All have their perks, but I'd have to think the pairing of the Florida schools is best because it allows for the Big 12 to tap the Florida market by guaranteeing a trip to Florida at least every other year...potentially every yeAr

Be reminded of a few things.

1. The Big XII proposal (NCAA 2015-81) is also supported by the ACC, who would rather have their two highest ranked teams in a title game over division winners.

2. The B1G made an amended proposal (2015-81-1) in which a 10 team conference CAN have a title game, but it must split into divisions.

For both amendments, the Power 5 conferences have double the voting power of the Group of 5, who do get to vote too, thus the SEC is most likely the swing vote for both.

As for expansion, the playoff/tournament shares will be distributed over 12 teams as opposed to 10. Plus, cord cutting is going to play a major role as the Big XII is going to ask for a combined $50M more from FOX/ESPN. ESPN has lost 7 million subscribers since the two signed their last contract in 2012. The broadcasters will return to the table to adjust the pro-rated figure to reflect the smaller number of households.

I think Houston and Byu make the most sense. At this point it'd be best for the Big 12 to lock down the last big market in the state of Texas (besides A&m) and Houston could easily compete with alot of the mid level teams in the conference. Unless BYU has plans to move wesr to the Pac 12, which I think is a possibility, next logical choice would be the big 12. If one doesn't work out then probably Memphis.

I'm biased but I'd like to see San Diego State get consideration given the turnaround that their program has had in recent years. Would give the Big XII some west coast relevance they currently lack and give them a rival for BYU who would be another tempting target for addition given the history the two schools had with each other when both were in the Mountain West.

Archived