NFL Changes - 2016

Bill0813

Yeah if your team name specifically refers to a specific item that you wear, you kinda need to wear that item.  

Honestly I think white socks would look pretty stupid with white or gray pants (espeically with pinstripe pants) but that's what they need to do.  Or... go with black or navy pants just to show off the sock.

As for the Browns, I wouldn't care if they were purple and gold, but since they included some brown, they're kind of obligated to emphasize it, because for better or worse, people will associate their name with the color if it's there in any capacity.  So it's either no brown, or a lot of brown.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has NOBODY seen Field of Dreams? They DID wear white socks.... and then ironically got called the Black Sox after that WS. 

I wonder of that's how them WEARING black socks came about.... :P

I sure hope nobody mistakenly reads this and thinks I'm totally serious

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

12 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yeah if your team name specifically refers to a specific item that you wear, you kinda need to wear that item.  

Honestly I think white socks would look pretty stupid with white or gray pants (espeically with pinstripe pants) but that's what they need to do.  Or... go with black or navy pants just to show off the sock.

As for the Browns, I wouldn't care if they were purple and gold, but since they included some brown, they're kind of obligated to emphasize it, because for better or worse, people will associate their name with the color if it's there in any capacity.  So it's either no brown, or a lot of brown.

As long as the white socks have stripes at the top, they won't look bad, and as long as the Browns wear brown jerseys, they're okay too. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think an all white sock would look goofy on modern baseball players even if that's what the White Sox should do. They could make it work with some clever striping so their socks at least have some white somewhere. 

Think this, but make the orange parts white OR make the orange black and the black top of the sock white. 

bal-orioles-morning-notes-on-upcoming-in

EDIT: this is the NFL thread in which case I think most NFL teams uniforms would also be improved by sock stripes. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

To continue this tangent from NFL uniforms (:)) . . . .

The White Sox looked fine with pinstriped uniforms and white socks.

al_1914_chicago.gif

According to Dressed to the Nines, they wore solid white socks through 1945 and predominantly white socks through 1948 (see below).

al_1948_chicago.gif

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

6 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Think this, but make the orange parts white OR make the orange black and the black top of the sock white. 

Yep, that's pretty much what I had in mind for the Sox and their socks. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 4/12/2016 at 0:06 PM, joshey said:

I know who their named after, that wasn't what I meant before. If your name is the Browns, and you have brown in your scheme, why would you emphasize the orange the most? Just always grinded my gears 

Well, their color choices were determined by the man they're named after. So, probably best to defer to the namesake.

He chose a brown jersey to obscure the football and the orange shell (after originally white leather) to make it stand out for the quarterbacks looking downfield.

Paul Brown started at Massillon Washington HS in Ohio who were the Tigers in black and orange predominantly. He loved how it looked. So, when the Browns started, he wanted those colors, but liked the way Bowling Green's orange/brown looked better (because of the football) and went with them.

It's also why after he was fired and started the AFL team in Cincinnati that he took those original black/orange colors with him to Cincinnati and chose Bengals over Tigers for the name. He wanted, again, a plain orange shell but the NFL demanded something be on it, and decided on the plain block BENGALS print at first. He wanted to continue with his color choices even after no longer with the Browns.

As for him being fired by the Browns, just chalk that up to another stellar decision by Art Modell. Not only do we lose our best coach ever (10 championship games in our first 10 years, winning 6 of them) but he then goes and creates a team who is one of our chief rivals.

Probably not anything, but I've noticed the Browns players have been wearing orange jerseys when making public appearances recently. Not sure if it's common for teams to wear alternate uniforms off the field. I do believe they wore the awful brown jerseys for all events last season. Maybe a switch to orange as the primary? Maybe just wishful thinking on my part. I just can't say enough how much I dislike the brown with orange numbers. Needs to be fixed asap.

tempA36I0357--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

47 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Probably not anything, but I've noticed the Browns players have been wearing orange jerseys when making public appearances recently. Not sure if it's common for teams to wear alternate uniforms off the field. I do believe they wore the awful brown jerseys for all events last season. Maybe a switch to orange as the primary? Maybe just wishful thinking on my part. I just can't say enough how much I dislike the brown with orange numbers. Needs to be fixed asap.

tempA36I0357--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Over the last couple years it's looking like more teams are issuing players replicas when they do public work as opposed to the ill fitting on-field threads.

Not sure if someone might of pointed this out already since I'm pretty sure the Jets have been ding this since 2010 or so but since I just noticed this since last year, has anyone else noticed that the Jets name a small and odd tweak to their script logo?

This is the script that's on the main logo. The J is taller than all the other letters. 

New-York-Jets-Script-Logo.jpg

But since moving to the new stadium all those years ago the top of the J is cut to be on the same level as the other letters. 

Jets2.jpeg

and this script that you see in the endzone is the script logo they use for everything now except in the main logo since their move to the new stadium.

jets-sanchez.jpg

seems odd that the Jets are using this on everything except on the main logo. 

XM4KeeA.png

47 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That is a great catch.  And a downgrade for the team.

The Jets need to tear down and rebuild from the ground up. The stripes are awful and the "green" looks brown at times.

I'd love to see a simpler uniform design, and possibly Kelly green or slightly darker. Maybe even an updated of the 80/90s Jets logo. always loved that one. 

True2OB.png

Archived