NFL Changes - 2016

Bill0813

On Sunday, June 05, 2016 at 11:47 AM, mafiaman said:

226383_1419182767158_11534961_ver1.0_640

THESE are the Lions as I prefer to remember them.  Not as the Detroit Lanthers. 

I wish the get rid of black in their uni scheme except dominant shoe color

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is something I have known about for a bit but it's been brought again to me so when there's smoke there's fire.

I don't know how accurate it is but I've had conversations with local sporting merchandisers that i know fairly well & others that I trust. They're saying from everything they keep getting told by their reps and Nike that "Teal is all but gone so get it while you can because it's supposedly difficult for them to get right teal & a matching teal on merch and it's also more expensive to reproduce." Said "expect all teal to be gone but the logo in 2/3 years all apparel will be black, white & Bold Gold, grey. " 

I've also heard from a couple of people now that Shad's wife doesn't care for Teal because it's "tacky" but that could be just gossip. 

As a Jaguar fan who really loves teal and the fact it sets us apart, I really do hope this is wrong. 

#DTWD #GoJaguars

The solution is to find a manufacturer that can handle your colors, not tailor your colors for the manufacturer. 

If the jerseys are a problem then just go back to the Ripon set and put the swoosh advertisement on them like some other teams do.

If other gear is an issue then why hasn't it been until now? Seems that real used to be the "hot color" and everyone put it on shirts and jackets and caps without issue. I'm sure the color matching is difficult between materials and there's bound to be variations, but it's never been a big deal until now. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah I agree. It used to be a hot color and in fact I am starting to see it have a renaissance in general so I personally don't see what the problem is. 

Only thing I can say that I've noticed a lot more variations or shades of teal in my apparel since Nike & New Era/47 have taken over. ( Which I thought would be better than reebok) I have a shirt that is almost aqua and a grey & teal new era cap that's about the Hornets shade of teal. 

So I didn't think it was that difficult to do, also something that's odd since we've rebranded we hardly have any white shirts anymore which is weird for florida.    

#DTWD #GoJaguars

3 hours ago, Claystation360 said:

Yeah I agree. It used to be a hot color and in fact I am starting to see it have a renaissance in general so I personally don't see what the problem is. 

Only thing I can say that I've noticed a lot more variations or shades of teal in my apparel since Nike & New Era/47 have taken over. ( Which I thought would be better than reebok) I have a shirt that is almost aqua and a grey & teal new era cap that's about the Hornets shade of teal. 

So I didn't think it was that difficult to do, also something that's odd since we've rebranded we hardly have any white shirts anymore which is weird for florida.    

The problem with teal and aqua is that it's one of the hardest colors for the human eye to discern between shades. This is documented and you can even take online color recognition tests which prove that out. While color standardization processes exist, I have to assume that there's still a human element on the apparel side where a supplier uses their eyes to confirm that they have a matching swatch and too frequently close enough ends up being a match.

You also have the sales aspect where black/white/any shade of gray are so ubiquitous in the fashion world manufacturers will stray away from bold colors.

7 hours ago, Claystation360 said:

This is something I have known about for a bit but it's been brought again to me so when there's smoke there's fire.

I don't know how accurate it is but I've had conversations with local sporting merchandisers that i know fairly well & others that I trust. They're saying from everything they keep getting told by their reps and Nike that "Teal is all but gone so get it while you can because it's supposedly difficult for them to get right teal & a matching teal on merch and it's also more expensive to reproduce." Said "expect all teal to be gone but the logo in 2/3 years all apparel will be black, white & Bold Gold, grey. " 

I've also heard from a couple of people now that Shad's wife doesn't care for Teal because it's "tacky" but that could be just gossip. 

As a Jaguar fan who really loves teal and the fact it sets us apart, I really do hope this is wrong. 

I would guess that the Dolphins' aqua is just as expensive to produce, and I don't see them dropping that.  I could well be wrong, but I don't see the Jaguars dropping teal because of manufacturing issues.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

34 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I would guess that the Dolphins' aqua is just as expensive to produce, and I don't see them dropping that.  I could well be wrong, but I don't see the Jaguars dropping teal because of manufacturing issues.

we've already seen issues that they continue to have with the jets greens and don't correct, idk why they would drop jags teal if that was the case.  

If you ask me, the Jags wouldn't be wrong to drop teal. Its a dated color and its too close to the Dolphins.  They have minimal history and its far too close to Miami's aqua, which they own. Its a different market, but its worth making your own mark.

They'd be best served in a total rebrand, but short of that or a move, they should maximize the gold and black.  Yes, New Orleans kind of has that market cornered, but only recently, and their cap numbers point to another decade of futility coming up after Brees.

If you don't totally rebrand, minimize the teal and be the AFC gold and black team.  Its a crummy substitute, but thats kinda what the NFL does. Most of the people here would hate it, but it'd sell a lot better.

im not sure if Jax would ever drop teal, but that is kind of what happened with Seattle. their 'seahawk blue' i think it was called, came from Reebok. if i recall correctly, Nike couldn't reproduce it accurately (or maybe it was even a rights thing), but that color played a part in that rebranding so its not out of the realm of possibility that another team would change their branding based on color/color reproduction. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On 5/27/2016 at 8:34 AM, DiePerske said:

Yeah, my biggest problem are the sleeves. QB jerseys look fantastic, even with italics, but he rest are terrible  

The easiest fix for the Steelers is to have the swoosh placed in the middle of the stripes. They did this with Starter, why not with Nike? The Bengals lowered the swoosh when they switched over to Nike so there's precedence that it can be done.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, tajmccall said:

If you ask me, the Jags wouldn't be wrong to drop teal. Its a dated color and its too close to the Dolphins.  They have minimal history and its far too close to Miami's aqua, which they own. Its a different market, but its worth making your own mark.

They'd be best served in a total rebrand, but short of that or a move, they should maximize the gold and black.  Yes, New Orleans kind of has that market cornered, but only recently, and their cap numbers point to another decade of futility coming up after Brees.

If you don't totally rebrand, minimize the teal and be the AFC gold and black team.  Its a crummy substitute, but thats kinda what the NFL does. Most of the people here would hate it, but it'd sell a lot better.

The Jaguars' use of teal when paired with gold and black isn't even close to how Miami uses aqua. They're farther from the Dolphins than they'd be from the Saints if they became a black/gold team. I'm fine with two teams in a league of 32 wearing some shade of that color. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

My problem is that they have a teal alt and they didn't even touch it last year (and did they do it the year before?). The teal is much less and less part of their identity and that's a shame. 

12755328.jpg

The biggest problem with that jersey is the black numbers.. Switch those to white and you have a much better jersey

Can someone who has knowledge of the production side of design explain to me this idea that Nike (or any manufacturer) would have "trouble" working with a color?  We kept hearing that about the Eagles, too. Why would a dye be available to one company but not another?  I get the concept that a particular hue could have a copywrite (weird, but makes sense) but how is it Nike "can't make" a color? 

And if it is an issue with the rights, why not just alter the hue the bare minimum for legal purposes and go with that?  I feel like this is just too stupid to be true.

36 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

My problem is that they have a teal alt and they didn't even touch it last year (and did they do it the year before?). The teal is much less and less part of their identity and that's a shame. 

12755328.jpg

Switch the numbers to white, go with an all black, non matte helmet, and this is a serviceable uniform.  Still too much unnecessary embellishments for my tastes, but at least it wouldn't be in the bottom 3 or 4 league-wide.  

18 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Can someone who has knowledge of the production side of design explain to me this idea that Nike (or any manufacturer) would have "trouble" working with a color?  We kept hearing that about the Eagles, too. Why would a dye be available to one company but not another?  I get the concept that a particular hue could have a copywrite (weird, but makes sense) but how is it Nike "can't make" a color? 

And if it is an issue with the rights, why not just alter the hue the bare minimum for legal purposes and go with that?  I feel like this is just too stupid to be true.

Whether paints, fabric dye, or other colorization processes, there's always an issue as to the whether the color treatment will work well with a particular medium/material. This becomes especially difficult when you have a color selection in a digital design format that is then replicated into physical media. For instance, you may think you've selected a sweet neon green for your website logo and when you take that artwork to be made into a vinyl banner the logo comes out 5 shades darker because the printer can't physically translate that color properly. This happens pretty frequently in the commercial world, some businesses are able to get it right others settle for a close enough product.

The uniform aspect has to do with the matching process and the fact they are attempting to recreate/re-engineer a custom created color onto a different medium than previously used (nike proprietary polyester fabric vs. generic nylon/spandex fabric). There's no copyright/patent on the color per se but the process of creating a custom color can definitely be a trade secret so when a new vendor takes over they are starting from scratch. 

2 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Whether paints, fabric dye, or other colorization processes, there's always an issue as to the whether the color treatment will work well with a particular medium/material. This becomes especially difficult when you have a color selection in a digital design format that is then replicated into physical media. For instance, you may think you've selected a sweet neon green for your website logo and when you take that artwork to be made into a vinyl banner the logo comes out 5 shades darker because the printer can't physically translate that color properly. This happens pretty frequently in the commercial world, some businesses are able to get it right others settle for a close enough product.

The uniform aspect has to do with the matching process and the fact they are attempting to recreate/re-engineer a custom created color onto a different medium than previously used (nike proprietary polyester fabric vs. generic nylon/spandex fabric). There's no copyright/patent on the color per se but the process of creating a custom color can definitely be a trade secret so when a new vendor takes over they are starting from scratch. 

I'm familiar with the first issue.  I'm a painter, and I'm constantly fiddling with the digital reproduction of my paintings.  I can usually get it to look perfect on the screen, but it rarely, if ever, will print the same way, without a ton of readjustments.  Also happens with my students.  Some have designed in exclusively digital mediums their whole lives, and when they turn in a project with jacked-up color, they think "it looks awesome on my computer" is a legitimate thing to say. (It's not.)

I just never thought of it that way with the uniforms, but that makes sense.  That Nike's fabrics make the colors seem different, not that they don't have access to the dye, or something. However, I still have to say, just giving up on a color based on a difficulty in reproducing it on this year's trendy fabric seems like a really lame decision.  Back to my example of my students, when they can't get the print to look like the screen, we don't say, oh, well, good enough.  Nor do we change the design to make it easier (OK... sometimes, but I'd discourage that).  They just have to work harder to make adjustments, because someday they'll have clients who are going to want their final product to look like they envision it.  

Even if Nike has difficulty with the Jags teal, I just have trouble believing that the best decision is too get rid of the color, instead of the Jags (the client) telling Nike (the manufacturer) to try harder. If the issue is Nike's proprietary fabrics (that are, after all, 2.0936% lighter!), then it's Nike's job to fix it, not Jacksonville's job to change their colors. 

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

The biggest problem with that jersey is the black numbers.. Switch those to white and you have a much better jersey

Their entire identity is a shame right now but especially that awful helmet. At least we are talking about Jax I guess that is what they want.

Archived