NFL Changes - 2016

Bill0813

I personally don't see what the difference in the cost or production of teal vs aqua is & neither did the Jax beach est that I frequent. I don't foresee the Dolphins going away from aqua since their recent uniform change minimized the coral and they've changed from orange to aqua seats in the stadium.   

Also I don't wanna be a black & gold team ( even if our golds are unique) I want to be a black, teal & gold team because to me that's the most unique IMO option that can set us apart and it's a pretty good shade.  Miami's aqua shouldn't have any effect on it because the contrast of the other colors in our uniform compared to theirs are much different. 

Jaguars have wore the teal in this set just as much as the bold gold. Once vs SD in 2013 

I know I remember hearing stories of the players not liking teal because it a feminine color  and preferring the black alts back in the day, because they couldn't get as pumped with the teal. ( mid 00's 04/5 i wanna say)

#DTWD #GoJaguars

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm familiar with the first issue.  I'm a painter, and I'm constantly fiddling with the digital reproduction of my paintings.  I can usually get it to look perfect on the screen, but it rarely, if ever, will print the same way, without a ton of readjustments.  Also happens with my students.  Some have designed in exclusively digital mediums their whole lives, and when they turn in a project with jacked-up color, they think "it looks awesome on my computer" is a legitimate thing to say. (It's not.)

I just never thought of it that way with the uniforms, but that makes sense.  That Nike's fabrics make the colors seem different, not that they don't have access to the dye, or something. However, I still have to say, just giving up on a color based on a difficulty in reproducing it on this year's trendy fabric seems like a really lame decision.  Back to my example of my students, when they can't get the print to look like the screen, we don't say, oh, well, good enough.  Nor do we change the design to make it easier (OK... sometimes, but I'd discourage that).  They just have to work harder to make adjustments, because someday they'll have clients who are going to want their final product to look like they envision it.  

Even if Nike has difficulty with the Jags teal, I just have trouble believing that the best decision is too get rid of the color, instead of the Jags (the client) telling Nike (the manufacturer) to try harder. If the issue is Nike's proprietary fabrics (that are, after all, 2.0936% lighter!), then it's Nike's job to fix it, not Jacksonville's job to change their colors. 

I'm in agreement with you. I also think this JAGS rumor is nothing more than messageboard BS. The teal uniforms look fine right now and they've had teal merchandise since their inception.  The only thing that I can think of is that from a merch standpoint, nike and other licensees don't want to source textiles in unique colors that are smaller quantities like aqua and teal as they can outfit 80% of the league by procuring black, navy, royal, and red. I just can't imagine any reputable supplier pulling a stunt like that though.

With that being said I do think think there are four good examples of colors translating poorly and nike attempting to abandoning them: packers, eagles, bucs, and seahawks.  Packers are not satisfied with nike's product, eagles waited 2 seasons for a viable product that's close but looks drastically different on field, bucs initially kept the old pewter in the old fabric but have essentially redefined pewter to dark mean charcoal due to matching issues. Lastly the seahawks abandoned their own unique color altogether which is a pretty drastic move that I personally don't like as it has the stench of nike simply not even wanting to bother to reproduce a reebok designed color.

Bottom line in the commercial/business world it's always a bit of a give and take with your suppliers to get the final product right. It also helps to test the hell out of your designs to see if they can be applied effectively in various forms.

Guest, you mentioned before as an example one might start with a digital design then try to match the textile to that RGB value. but doesn't Nike work the opposite way? i would surely think when they re-did the colors for Miami, Jax, TB, etc they started with their own textiles then match a Pantone to it

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I find it hilarious that the Jags can be a teal team their entire existence without issue, but then Nike gets the contract and it's all "our super space-age fabrics can't do teal lol guess u need to drop ur signature colour."

I've never seen a bigger case of the tail wagging the dog than Nike with their clients when it comes to uniform design.

8 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Can someone who has knowledge of the production side of design explain to me this idea that Nike (or any manufacturer) would have "trouble" working with a color?  We kept hearing that about the Eagles, too. Why would a dye be available to one company but not another?  I get the concept that a particular hue could have a copywrite (weird, but makes sense) but how is it Nike "can't make" a color? 

And if it is an issue with the rights, why not just alter the hue the bare minimum for legal purposes and go with that?  I feel like this is just too stupid to be true.

Doesn't it have to deal with the material or something like that? The Nike jerseys weren't that shiny material Reebok used so maybe that was an issue.

YVRMUBj.png

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I find it hilarious that the Jags can be a teal team their entire existence without issue, but then Nike gets the contract and it's all "our super space-age fabrics can't do teal lol guess u need to drop ur signature colour."

I've never seen a bigger case of the tail wagging the dog than Nike with their clients when it comes to uniform design.

Weren't the Jaguars first uniforms made by Nike? And now Nike is supposedly saying they can't make teal anymore, but can make volt, and action green, and charcoal, and midnight green...

8 hours ago, dont care said:

Weren't the Jaguars first uniforms made by Nike? And now Nike is supposedly saying they can't make teal anymore, but can make volt, and action green, and charcoal, and midnight green...

no, someone on the boards is saying he heard someone say Nike can't do it

GRAPHIC ARTIST

10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Jags have been moving away from teal since Khan took over. They even made the black alts the primary in the final year of the previous set. So it's not just Nike.

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

The Jags have been moving away from teal since Khan took over. They even made the black alts the primary in the final year of the previous set. So it's not just Nike.

Yeah, we didn't even have a black alt in the last set but he had one made ASAP with teal getting the bump. 

#DTWD #GoJaguars

I don't understand the difficulties with reproducing Teal we've had it for years, and as mentioned above with Nike even doing the uniforms  before ( 97- 01 I think ) 

I know there have been issues like the ones I've mention & with the Jaguar tilting the wrong way and or getting the Jets hunter green string w/ the black bucket hats. 

I wish I had a link or prove instead of just word of mouth to back up what I have heard.  Just saying I am not trying to blow smoke, I've never stated anything like this before and I am not a Reddit special as we've seen before, I just don't post often.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

16 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

1382563155000-USP-NFL-San-Diego-Chargers

It can't be that Nike struggles to reproduce the color. They've already done that. While the jersey design leaves much to be desired, this sure as heck looks teal to me.

I agree, whoever started the rumor is full of BS. There are colors that nike does poorly in matte/dri-fit but teal is not one of them.

16 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Guest, you mentioned before as an example one might start with a digital design then try to match the textile to that RGB value. but doesn't Nike work the opposite way? i would surely think when they re-did the colors for Miami, Jax, TB, etc they started with their own textiles then match a Pantone to it

You would think that either the league or team would own their uniform specs and have pantone textiles already assigned (pretty sure the style guides do this) but that may not be the case in some instances where teams have simply relied upon vendors. In the case of a transition to a new supplier, it would be on nike to gather all of the specs and work with their textile suppliers to produce samples. While the new supplier likely has a pantone value to work with, their dyes, equipment, and materials may in fact produce different results despite using a standardized colorization system which would mean that it would likely take several or even many iterations to achieve a suitable match, and in some cases no suitable match can be achieved.

On 6/10/2016 at 10:54 AM, Claystation360 said:

I don't understand the difficulties with reproducing Teal we've had it for years, and as mentioned above with Nike even doing the uniforms  before ( 97- 01 I think ) 

I know there have been issues like the ones I've mention & with the Jaguar tilting the wrong way and or getting the Jets hunter green string w/ the black bucket hats. 

I wish I had a link or prove instead of just word of mouth to back up what I have heard.  Just saying I am not trying to blow smoke, I've never stated anything like this before and I am not a Reddit special as we've seen before, I just don't post often.

Nike didn't do the uniforms.  Ripon Athletic made them.  Nike, like the other licensees, simply had their logo applied.  I believe Ripon still makes the jerseys for a couple of the teams that have resisted Nike's templates.

Nike probably made the retail versions though - not sure about that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On June 10, 2016 at 1:23 PM, guest23 said:

You would think that either the league or team would own their uniform specs and have pantone textiles already assigned (pretty sure the style guides do this) but that may not be the case in some instances where teams have simply relied upon vendors. In the case of a transition to a new supplier, it would be on nike to gather all of the specs and work with their textile suppliers to produce samples. While the new supplier likely has a pantone value to work with, their dyes, equipment, and materials may in fact produce different results despite using a standardized colorization system which would mean that it would likely take several or even many iterations to achieve a suitable match, and in some cases no suitable match can be achieved.

The league does have Pantone values for all the colors of all of its teams.  Nike just couldn't manage to reproduce the Eagles' green even with that information until well into the season.  

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The league does have Pantone values for all the colors of all of its teams.  Nike just couldn't manage to reproduce the Eagles' green even with that information until well into the season.  

this reminds me, ive heard of some instances (dont ask for details :P ) where teams have tried to fill in the Pantone gaps to better match their/Nikes uniform textiles but were not willing to spend the money to do so. for instance, PMS 319 C is very different than 320 C and theres no perfect print match for what Nike (and this could happen with any manufacturer) supplies. Pantone offers a process of creating a custom color, but what it takes to do so is outrageous. even for an NFL budget. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Nike didn't do the uniforms.  Ripon Athletic made them.  Nike, like the other licensees, simply had their logo applied.  I believe Ripon still makes the jerseys for a couple of the teams that have resisted Nike's templates.

Nike probably made the retail versions though - not sure about that.

Doesn't change the fact that Nike made all apparel for the jags during this time and had no problem making teal apparel.

and again, there is no confirmation of any actual issues with Nike and the Jaguars as hard as it might be to match pantone to old textiles to new textiles. this was speculation by a member here who heard it from someone else, who heard it from someone else. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Archived