Bill81361

NFL Changes - 2016

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I think they wore white pants with both sets during the Fran Tarkenton era.

fran_tarkenton_1971_12_05.jpgTARKENTON0001_2010080862.gif

if we're going to include the details though, this shows how much the current white pants breaks the throwback design. those pants and road jersey stripes are not what they're wearing now, and currently, they're really mixing eras. you can make the case that this is now a new uniform or a faux-back, which is fine but i certainly dont prefer it. 

On 5/27/2016 at 8:34 AM, DiePerske said:

Yeah, my biggest problem are the sleeves. QB jerseys look fantastic, even with italics, but he rest are terrible  

3 hours ago, VikWings said:

There is no gray anywhere in the uniform though. The white pants match with the numbers and logos.

Exactly. Since there's no grey in the jersey or helmet, the grey pants look out of place. This looks much cleaner to me.

White pants on the Giants home uniforms is great. Was never a fan of the gray pants. 

BZX36LpCcAAG58D.png

and can they add some Blue to their away uniforms already?

nfl-2008-new-york-giants-jason-tuck.jpg

15 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Unpopular opinion, but I preferred the old gray pants (2000-11 on the blues, 2000-04 on the whites).

giantseli.jpg

I liked how they were consistent with the helmet stripe. A little cohesion wouldn't have hurt the vintage aesthetic that much.

I do like the blue/red/blue but for some reason I'd love to see just the red. I know it's surrounded by blue on the helmet but red is a strong enough color to stand on its own and I like the consistency of a single stripe motif.

Giants.jpg

giants.png

These uniforms represent pure, classic gridiron football. Huff, Robustelli, Connerly, Gifford, Grier, Webster. These were the uniforms coached by Jim Lee Howell, Tom Landry AND Vince Lombardi. Elements don't need to match 150% of the time to make a uniform good; look at the variations between primary logos/wordmarks in MLB and cap logos. They may not match individually, but as a whole they look better. I don't really get the hate for the red on the road considering how much red has been used in Giants history. I'm not adverse to the white pants as an occasional alternate, but I'm disappointed by this move even if it only lasts one year.

If I was forced to "update" the Giants (emphasis on forced), something like this would be the most I would do:

giants2.png

On July 11, 2016 at 1:16 PM, goforbroke said:

Giants just announced: white pants at home full time in 2016 regular season.  grey on the road, even if they wear blue on the road (at dallas).

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-to-wear-white-pants-for-all-home-games-view-uniform-schedule/c4f4d08e-14ca-446d-a570-55f9a63e7f6a

What about shoe color? In the past, they've worn white shoes with the white pants and black shoes with the gray pants. 

I think the white pants with blue jerseys are a good combo, and so are grey pants with white jerseys. I know there's not much grey elsewhere, but, hey, it's in the facemasks...

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:49 PM, Gothamite said:

The league does have Pantone values for all the colors of all of its teams.  Nike just couldn't manage to reproduce the Eagles' green even with that information until well into the season.  

You mean the Eagles' teal. "Midnight green" is actually more blue than green. Drives me nuts. The Eagles are supposed to be a green team.

On 7/12/2016 at 9:50 AM, BrandMooreArt said:

if we're going to include the details though, this shows how much the current white pants breaks the throwback design. those pants and road jersey stripes are not what they're wearing now, and currently, they're really mixing eras. you can make the case that this is now a new uniform or a faux-back, which is fine but i certainly dont prefer it. 

I really wish they would have the old school long sleeves back, It seems that the NFL is always in faux nostalgia mode, The current Giant uniforms kinda suck when sleeves are hiked up to the armpit. If you are going to embrace the history of the 50's/60's/70's go all the way or create new jersey designs for 2016.

giants.png.6e3da3c93cda33e89ba66378344de225.png

I personally loved the Giants grey pants when they came out in 2000, especially since it predated the fad. Definitely hit the nail on the head at that time for fan expectations of a vintage-inspired uniform... I would personally love to see a new set that nods to the 80s.

I personally think the 80's set was beyond bland. Nondescript navy shell with white mask, generic giants helmet script. The uniform was nearly identical to the bills from the neck to the knees which made it just a very plain rwb football uniform. I will give it points for being a clean design, but that was a uniform anyone could design/order from their local sporting goods store in the 1980's.

1 hour ago, C-Squared said:

I personally loved the Giants grey pants when they came out in 2000, especially since it predated the fad. Definitely hit the nail on the head at that time for fan expectations of a vintage-inspired uniform... I would personally love to see a new set that nods to the 80s.

Eh I wouldn't. The current Giants' look, even the white pants, just says "old time football" to me. The 80s look? It looks generic and off the rack.

12 hours ago, guest23 said:

I personally think the 80's set was beyond bland. Nondescript navy shell with white mask, generic giants helmet script. The uniform was nearly identical to the bills from the neck to the knees which made it just a very plain rwb football uniform. I will give it points for being a clean design, but that was a uniform anyone could design/order from their local sporting goods store in the 1980's.

perfectly said. i think its unpopular opinion here, but that Giants and Bills set were perfectly generic. IMO, 2 of the worst uniforms ever for that reason. 

12 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Eh I wouldn't. The current Giants' look, even the white pants, just says "old time football" to me. The 80s look? It looks generic and off the rack.

Objectively, a plain blue jersey with white block numbers is generic in its own right. Left unchanged, the 2000-current set is feels drab in 2016. The white pants ruin the delicate balance of the uniform. The balance of grey pants and a grey facemask make the white of the home and away unis pop. Without grey pants, the facemask enters GFGS territory, and the grey within the striping of the white pants feels like a heavy-handed attempt to salvage that balance, which falls short and muddies the striping. The final product is a clumsy mix of eras with pants too crisp to feel vintage and a helmet/jersey too purposefully basic to be modern. This is the type of problem typical for teams who want to freshen up their look without making major changes - they lose the careful balance that made their uniforms work by playing cut-and-paste with the colors (see Denver in orange, Tennessee in baby blue, Philly and Baltimore in black, etc)

Its driving me crazy that I can't find it, but someone made a great 80s-inspired G-Men concept here a few months back. I will add it if I find it.

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

perfectly said. i think its unpopular opinion here, but that Giants and Bills set were perfectly generic. IMO, 2 of the worst uniforms ever for that reason. 

Mad atcha I'm not, but if there was ever an example of overstating a point for emphasis, this is it.

On July 13, 2016 at 9:29 AM, MCM0313 said:

You mean the Eagles' teal. "Midnight green" is actually more blue than green. Drives me nuts. The Eagles are supposed to be a green team.

eagles_jerseys.jpg

They are a green team.  This is green.  It has a bluish tint to it, but it's most definitely green.  There's no way anyone would call this blue unless they were colorblind.

2 hours ago, rxmc89 said:

eagles_jerseys.jpg

They are a green team.  This is green.  It has a bluish tint to it, but it's most definitely green.  There's no way anyone would call this blue unless they were colorblind.

Look up the RGB values.

10 hours ago, C-Squared said:

Objectively, a plain blue jersey with white block numbers is generic in its own right. Left unchanged, the 2000-current set is feels drab in 2016. The white pants ruin the delicate balance of the uniform. The balance of grey pants and a grey facemask make the white of the home and away unis pop. Without grey pants, the facemask enters GFGS territory, and the grey within the striping of the white pants feels like a heavy-handed attempt to salvage that balance, which falls short and muddies the striping. The final product is a clumsy mix of eras with pants too crisp to feel vintage and a helmet/jersey too purposefully basic to be modern. This is the type of problem typical for teams who want to freshen up their look without making major changes - they lose the careful balance that made their uniforms work by playing cut-and-paste with the colors (see Denver in orange, Tennessee in baby blue, Philly and Baltimore in black, etc)

i think thats a well written critique and a fine position to hold, but allow me to make a counter point. 

i don't see the current jersey as being generic, because generic things lack specificity; they're hard to recognize from another thing because of shared similarities. I say dont confuse simplicity for being generic. There's only 1 other current jersey like it (Raiders) and it has different colors, where the Simms era jersey checked all the boxes for the standard football uniform. if you laid out all the NFL jerseys together, i bet we could easily pick the Giants out

51 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Look up the RGB values.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_green

You're right, but it's only slightly more blue than it is green (I'd argue it's almost equal). That's not really enough to go by IMO; it's classified as green and it looks green.

Nah, I think "teal" sums it up well. Blue-green.   This one just has a lot of black thrown in, making it a a gloomy teal. 

31 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Nah, I think "teal" sums it up well. Blue-green.   This one just has a lot of black thrown in, making it a a gloomy teal. 

Yes, gloomy teal, plus black, plus an equally gloomy charcoal gray.  What a mushy mess.