NFL Changes - 2016

Bill0813

20 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Me, too.  It's one of my personal uniform rules.  A light-colored helmet must always match the pants, and a dark-colored helmet must match the home jersey.

Basically this. 

With a few exceptions: all white being uniforms being one, I'm also cool with like the Bengals and gold pants Rams, because of they're unique helmets having enough color in them to offset.

That is why I like the Giants better in white pants. The gray just felt so out of place and the white pants match the numbers.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that was an 80's thing...the plastic covered the screws that secured the plastic clips...in the late 80's schutt changed refined their cages to thinner metal bars which led to smaller fasteners that needed less protection...the new designs also allowed the fasteners on the sides to rotate 180 degrees where the screw sat on the inside of the metal...they still use those mask designs with schutt xp helmets.

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Disagree on the Giants; their gray pants better matched the helmets.  The colors, for one, and the old blue/red/blue stripe was lifted directly off the pants.

Agreed on the Rams and Bengals, though: those helmets were unique enough to work.

I agree. If they went with the white facemask that will be one thing..but the grey had a old school blue collar feel..had a nice touch to it...I love the white pants but we shall see

1962_NYGiants.png

1994_NYGiants.png

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

On 7/29/2016 at 1:26 PM, guest23 said:

that was an 80's thing...the plastic covered the screws that secured the plastic clips...in the late 80's schutt changed refined their cages to thinner metal bars which led to smaller fasteners that needed less protection...the new designs also allowed the fasteners on the sides to rotate 180 degrees where the screw sat on the inside of the metal...they still use those mask designs with schutt xp helmets.

I thought 1978. The Jets and Falcons change uniforms and started having the clips before 1980 when teams started having it all over.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee Titans controlling owner Amy Adams Strunk said she’s had a preliminary conversation with the league about altering the team's uniforms.

“We can refresh and they definitely could use a little updating, but it takes a while to get that done,” Strunk told ESPN.com at Tuesday’s training camp practice. “I kind of visited with the league office about it a little bit a couple months ago. But we got so busy that I didn’t go back to it.

As for the logo: Many fans call the primary logo the “flaming thumbtack” and have a strong preference for the secondary logo, a "T sword."

“They like the sword? Interesting,” she said. “That’s interesting. It’s a thought. I’d like to hear what the fans are saying.”

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

I'm honestly so over the NFL and its uniform policy. Stifles creativity and ruins the ability to refine a look that has some good elements but that's not yet great. Let them change yearly if they wish. Horrible.

They are allowed to make minor changes yearly.

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

I'm honestly so over the NFL and its uniform policy. Stifles creativity and ruins the ability to refine a look that has some good elements but that's not yet great. Let them change yearly if they wish. Horrible.

They are allowed to make minor changes yearly.

Here's why changing yearly is a bad move and why we wouldn't want it implemented in the NFL: College Football. Teams change their uniforms basically every year, and they'll adopt a random one-off uniform midseason for no reasons at all. You don't know who's who anymore and it's too much to keep up with. This also creates low stakes for a new uniform rollout. If it sucks then you know you won't have to look at it for very long so who cares? The flipside of that is it doesn't allow the good uniforms to truly take hold and prove they have staying power so even if you like a new uniform you can't trust it'll be around longer than a season. 

I like that if an NFL team adopts a new uniform they're more or less stuck with it for at least 5 years.

PvO6ZWJ.png

59 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Here's why changing yearly is a bad move and why we wouldn't want it implemented in the NFL: College Football. Teams change their uniforms basically every year, and they'll adopt a random one-off uniform midseason for no reasons at all. You don't know who's anymore and it's too much to keep up with. This also creates low stakes for a new uniform rollout. If it sucks then you know you won't have to look at it for very long so who cares? The flipside of that is it doesn't allow the good uniforms to truly take hold and prove they have staying power so even if you like a new uniform you can't trust it'll be around longer than a season. 

I like that if an NFL team adopts a new uniform they're more or less stuck with it for at least 5 years.

Yes, I get the dangers. But, I think it's ridiculous when teams like the Rams aren't allowed to change when it's so obvious that they should.

Not to over manage the situation but I think teams should be able to submit a change along with the reasoning behind the switch, and if the league agrees they make the switch. If it's denied, they wait and/or go back to the drawing board. That would hopefully prevent "change for change's sake" but would allow teams like the Bucs or Browns to fix horrible problems they currently have with their uniforms.

On July 28, 2016 at 11:28 AM, mjd77 said:

I actually think that black set looks pretty good.  The problem I have is if it's worn for color rush, there will be black socks as well, which I think would ruin it.  The black jersey and pants, paired with purple socks, or maybe even yellow socks would look much better. 

I have to agree.  I can't believe I don't hate the black for the Vikings.  Add some color to the socks and this works.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Archived