NFL Changes - 2016

Bill0813

5 minutes ago, kroywen said:

That patch looked terrible last night. Ugly design, and way way too big. Also hate how monolithically white it is.

I'm hoping that the Vikings just wore that for the first game, and won't be wearing it the entire season - does anyone know?

I'm hoping that, too, but unfortunately it does say "season".

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kroywen said:

That patch looked terrible last night. Ugly design, and way way too big. Also hate how monolithically white it is.

I'm hoping that the Vikings just wore that for the first game, and won't be wearing it the entire season - does anyone know?

No, we don't know.   The patch was a surprise, not announced beforehand, and as mentioned they didn't wear it on the road last week.

4 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

Adrian Peterson has changed from the VSR4 to the revo speed. I wonder how many guys still wear the VSR4 or the Schutt Air...Also, do not know how guys who switch teams still wear the VSR4 like Anquan Boldin is it possible they get their helmets reconditioned? I've noticed when players wearing older helmets switch teams they typically get new helmets, like Steve McLendon changed from the VSR4 to the schutt vengence most likely due to the jets not having any VSR4's.

This is great. The reason why the NFL has the "one helmet rule" is because people are still wearing helmets like the VSR4. Riddell hasn't made new shells for those helmets in years. They just stopped making Revolution helmets before this season, so expect to see those fade away too.

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

So if I remember correctly the Titans and Rams, in that order, are the only two teams getting a redesign soon? As of now, anyway.

The Rams are a definite and will be getting theirs in 2019. The Titans are a totally different story; their owner said she was considering "refreshing" the uniforms in a couple years but we haven't had anything beyond that one offhand quote. 

26 minutes ago, VikWings said:

Aren't the Lions at least tweaking theirs in 2017 or 2018 too?

Not so much tweaking as they are adding a new uniform I believe.

Also, does anyone know what a satin silver/grey helmet would look like for the Raiders. Just a thought that popped in my head.

Not so much tweaking as they are adding a new uniform I believe.

Also, does anyone know what a satin silver/grey helmet would look like for the Raiders. Just a thought that popped in my head.

Not incredibly different, but definitely not better. 

IMG_3035.JPG

Fun little fact I just thought about, Sam Bradford has only played for teams whose helmets do not have the primary logo on them. Rams (horns), Eagles (wings), Vikings (horns). Next stop, Bengals?

Do the Browns fit this category? Otherwise he could take his talents to the arena league.

If there are these one helmet rules then why are players using one or more helmets....

I understand the rule and all but it just seems like they are ditching different colored helmets not limiting a player to one a year.

Below clearly shows LeSean McCoy with an xeinth and a revo speed.

Image result for LeSean McCoy week 1 2016

Image result for LeSean McCoy with revo speed

As I understand it, the rule doesn't limit the number of helmets a player can use in a season. You can switch styles, or even helmets within a style if necessary. The rule says that a team can't use two different helmets. This is because some players wear helmets that aren't made anymore, like the VSR4. For a team to wear multiple helmets, there are situations where a team doesn't have another old helmet, so a player is forced to wear a different helmet than they normally would. My assumption is that the NFL doesn't want to be in a position where a player gets injured being forced wearing a helmet that is not their normal helmet.

So what if a player uses a helmet that is no longer made, and then changes teams? At that point, the player has no choice but to switch helmets. So that's considered okay by the NFL, but having to use a different helmet despite not changing teams isn't. Oy.

Archived