NFL Changes - 2016

Bill0813

The Saints screwed up when

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The Saints screwed up when they ditched this look on the road:

ArLhgDs.jpg

The only change needed was to make the pants stripe match the helmet stripe.

I agree. The only thing I'll add is to return to the original (now throwback), brassier shade of gold. The darker gold is more legible from a distance, which is why these jerseys were retired. The gold was too light to read the numbers. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Chawls said:

The Saints screwed up when

I agree. The only thing I'll add is to return to the original (now throwback), brassier shade of gold. The darker gold is more legible from a distance, which is why these jerseys were retired. The gold was too light to read the numbers. 

Three teams pull of the brassier gold with ease: Saints, Purdue, Army.   It's such a great color.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It's so much more vibrant than the washed-out color they wear now.

I know this photo isn't color-accurate to what they actually wore, but I love the rich bronze gold of this Sports Illustrated cover.  Works well with black, but also strong enough to support the road uniform as a primary color.

85617f1b237e68386449efadb43f101c.jpg

On 9/28/2016 at 8:58 PM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I like how the Chargers use powder blue for their backdrops in media sessions and the score bugs on CBS and FOX... yet navy blue is still their primary color.

This team really doesn't know where to go...

The powder blue jerseys are by far their best look. They really should just use those full time - preferably with numbers on the helmets as well (yes, it might look a little "college," but it'd be a unique look in the NFL, and would call back to their AFL days).

What's up with teams in San Diego not being able to figure out what their own colors are? Two major league teams, two scattered, disjointed identities. And two color schemes (brown and gold, and powder blue and gold, respectively) that their respective teams can own across the pro sports landscape, yet inexplicably choose not to.

3 hours ago, kroywen said:

The powder blue jerseys are by far their best look. They really should just use those full time - preferably with numbers on the helmets as well (yes, it might look a little "college," but it'd be a unique look in the NFL, and would call back to their AFL days).

What's up with teams in San Diego not being able to figure out what their own colors are? Two major league teams, two scattered, disjointed identities. And two color schemes (brown and gold, and powder blue and gold, respectively) that their respective teams can own across the pro sports landscape, yet inexplicably choose not to.

This is been a question so many of us long time San Diego fans have asked for YEARS. No brainer to do Padres: Brown/Yellow and Charger Powder/Yellow but somehow ownership group after ownership group screws it up.

And now we're seeing the same thing in LA with the Rams. LA Rams are royal/yellow end of story. Yet if recent reports are true, ownership chose navy/gold instead for this year. SoCal thing?

Well, there's a pretty big difference  between the Rams and the San Diego teams - the Rams are changing.  

They were reportedly given the choice of changing right away or changing in 2019 when they move into the new stadium.  They chose 2019.  Whether because they wanted to feed off the excitement of the new stadium, or their new design wasn't ready, or they intend to focus-test with the LA market, I don't know.  

But they're not stubbornly clinging to their old colors regardless of what the fans may want, as the Chargers and Padres are. 

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Well, there's a pretty big difference  between the Rams and the San Diego teams - the Rams are changing.  

They were reportedly given the choice of changing right away or changing in 2019 when they move into the new stadium.  They chose 2019.  Whether because they wanted to feed off the excitement of the new stadium, or their new design wasn't ready, or they intend to focus-test with the LA market, I don't know.  

But they're not stubbornly clinging to their old colors regardless of what the fans may want, as the Chargers and Padres are. 

I hope you're right about the Rams. I had just figured it was the NFL that wouldn't let them change this year until the report came out that the NFL would have allowed them to change. After hearing that, I became worried that LA ownership simply didn't want to use royal/yellow (just as San Diego teams' ownership have done).

On 9/30/2016 at 7:33 AM, Gothamite said:

It's so much more vibrant than the washed-out color they wear now.

I know this photo isn't color-accurate to what they actually wore, but I love the rich bronze gold of this Sports Illustrated cover.  Works well with black, but also strong enough to support the road uniform as a primary color.

85617f1b237e68386449efadb43f101c.jpg

Completely agree with everything you said, I've always felt the Saints looked better in the old gold. I'll also add that I felt their old gold had an almost brassy look to it, which worked well in my mind given New Orleans' musical history also. Likely not the intent they had, but a connection I've always made nonetheless.

BTW, this is one of my top 10 favorite uniforms of all time.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 9/29/2016 at 10:11 AM, Lights Out said:

The Saints screwed up when they ditched this look on the road:

ArLhgDs.jpg

The only change needed was to make the pants stripe match the helmet stripe.

At the risk of being that guy, this look really did feel dated at the time. It is definitely time to bring it back, though. That color rush uni might be the #1 best look in football right now.

45 minutes ago, SoxSteeler said:

Greg Lloyd wearing what he wore most of his career. 

No, this particular combination is new.  The logo patch was added by Nike in 1997, the same year they changed the Steelers to the spindly italic numbers.  

1996_Pittsburgh.png 1997_Pittsburgh.png

And holy :censored:, that current jersey looks a thousand times better with traditional block numbers.  

• 5 weeks later...

Thursday Night Football now has different graphics as the NBC Sports crew is working the second half.

First impressions: The look is very average, but the TD pop-up is beautiful. Some of the elements that are similar to SNF (player lineups, outro at the end of the intro video, city-specific "Football Night" pregame) make up for what I don't like. I prefer CBS at this point.

Capture4.PNG

CaptureTEMP.PNG

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

On 10/3/2016 at 9:40 PM, Gothamite said:

No, this particular combination is new.  The logo patch was added by Nike in 1997, the same year they changed the Steelers to the spindly italic numbers.  

1996_Pittsburgh.png 1997_Pittsburgh.png

And holy :censored:, that current jersey looks a thousand times better with traditional block numbers.  

Sorry for quoting a big pic.

I thought the difference that they made mid-year was to change the road NOB from black to the current yellow with black outline.  I can't tell from that image what change they made mid year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Sorry for quoting a big pic.

I thought the difference that they made mid-year was to change the road NOB from black to the current yellow with black outline.  I can't tell from that image what change they made mid year.

I think they went from the old block font for the nameplate, to the current Futura nameplate.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Archived