infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL Week 17

infrared41

Apologies for being late with the lists again this week. Week 17 gave us a solid finish to the 2015 regular season. We had a clear cut winner for the top spot on the best list - it's another contender for match up of the year - there were some really good match ups, and just mild train wreck for the worst list. Let's put 60 seconds on the clock and play the regular season finale of our game. As always, the lists are just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Best:

1. Raiders - Chiefs: Two of the very best uniforms in the NFL. In my opinion, the Raiders have the best road uniforms in the league. The Chiefs home uniform is in my top five. This one is a contender for match up of the year. Every game should look this good.

Chiefs.jpg

2. Lions - Bears: I don't know if it's "improvement through attrition", a scheduling quirk, or that I just like their uniforms more than I used to, but the Lions have spent quite a few more weeks on the best list this season than they did last season. Then again, it's not hard to make the best list when you're matched up against the Bears who have the best home uniforms in the NFL.

bears1.jpg

3. Vikings - Packers: All season, I've been harping on games where all white would have provided a better color balance than going with white over dark pants. This game is another example of that. I like everything about this Vikings look, but I think the purple pants don't work against certain teams - like the Packers for example. Still a great looking game.

Packers.jpg

4. Eagles - Giants: This is a game where I think the dark pants work well. Like the Lions, I'm not sure why the Eagles seem to be showing up on the best list more often this year, but they are. As usual, the Giants look great.

Giants1.jpg

5. Washington - Dallas: Great helmet match up. Good looking game. At the start of the season, did anyone think Dallas would be the team with the 4-12 record and Washington would be NFC East champions?

Cowboys1.jpg

Honorable Mention:

Titans - Colts: The Titans in all white could work, but it needs some work. As it is, it looks incomplete like a color was left out or something. As usual, the Colts look great.

Colts.jpg

Thanks for ruining a great match up:

This week's winners - the Buffalo Bills. If the Bills had stayed away from the monochrome blue and the Jets had gone all white, this game would have been in the running for the top spot on the best list.

Bills.jpg

Worst:

Ravens - Bengals: The Ravens need to ditch the black pants. The Bengals need to stay away from monochrome black. Not a good looking game.

Bengals.jpg

At some point during the playoffs, I'm going to do best and worst of the season lists. If anyone is interested, post your picks for the best and worst of the year and we can try to come up with some sort of "reader's poll" to go along with my picks.

And that's it for this week and this season. Thanks for taking the time to drop by all season. It's truly appreciated.

BB52Big.jpg

3. Vikings - Packers: All season, I've been harping on games where all white would have provided a better color balance than going with white over dark pants. This game is another example of that. I like everything about this Vikings look, but I think the purple pants don't work against certain teams - like the Packers for example. Still a great looking game.

Packers.jpg

I am just the opposite as I believe the purple pants makes this the best looking game of the week. In fact, I would say it was the best looking game of the year.

spacer.png

I was curious if the mono aqua Dolphins would make a list this week.. Guess not.

If the Dolphins had been playing against a team that also has a bad uniform, they definitely would have made the worst list. Because they were playing the Patriots, only half of the match up looked bad. That eliminates the game from the worst list. The Dolphins primary look is really boring. That eliminates them from the "Thanks for ruining..." category with the mono aqua. Finally, it's no secret that the only monochrome look I like is all white so this game never had a chance at making the best list. The Dolphins are stuck in the dreaded middle. They don't look bad enough to make the worst list and they don't look good enough to make the best list.

Packers.jpg

I am just the opposite as I believe the purple pants makes this the best looking game of the week. In fact, I would say it was the best looking game of the year.

Your vote is duly noted.

BB52Big.jpg

The reason the Titans all white doesn't work is because the pants stripe is navy-light blue-navy while the shoulder yoke is light blue butting up against white. That inconsistency is why they look incomplete.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The reason the Titans all white doesn't work is because the pants stripe is navy-light blue-navy while the shoulder yoke is light blue butting up against white. That inconsistency is why they look incomplete.

Oh... :oh:

I've seen the Titans multiple times in white over white and never noticed that...

Packers.jpg

I agree with nuordr about the purple pants; I think this is the best this matchup can look, regardless of who is home/away.

Edit: Game of the year:

Chiefs%20.jpg

Packers.jpg

This would be true if the Vikings had an actual pair of road socks... in other words, white socks with stripes that match the jersey. As is, this look is a significant downgrade from the home uniform.

Packers.jpg

I agree with nuordr about the purple pants; I think this is the best this matchup can look, regardless of who is home/away.

Edit: Game of the year:

Chiefs%20.jpg

Close... But i think that goes to the chargers raiders game when they wore the Powder's. But damn I do like the matchup above.

a2BRS8U.png

Packers.jpg

This would be true if the Vikings had an actual pair of road socks... in other words, white socks with stripes that match the jersey. As is, this look is a significant downgrade from the home uniform.

I absolutely agree, the Vikings need a pair of striped white socks. However, their purple pants/socks combo isn't that bad because their are large stripes that break up the "yoga pants" look. 7/10 with purple socks, 9/10 with white, striped socks that match the pants stripe.

I was at the game Sunday, but I have to say that Denver-San Diego should be on the worst list. Every time these teams play it looks bad, especially when San Diego wears navy pants. Too much navy blue, when it used to look so beautiful.

temp1981SanDiego1--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JP

The Vikings aren't getting striped socks, so some of you continue to waste your breath. They don't need them and they aren't in. Simple as that.

Best matchup of the year was Browns (with the gorgeous brown jerseys/orange pants/brown socks combo that many of us have been wanting to see for years) against the Ravens (with the now classic white/black/black combo that won the Harbaugh Brothers Super Bowl). The color contrast, at night, made the game between two horsecrap teams, enjoyable. And the finish of the game one of the most memorable of the year.

And Miami looked great in all teal last week too. Mainly because they look so dull and drab most weeks. Would it look great 10 weeks a year? No. But once or twice a year really does make it work. Maybe in 2016, the suits in Miami will finally get with the 21st century and the Fish will wear dark jersey's at home for day games. Its time.

Infrared, are there any matchups that stand out to you this year, for good or bad? maybe you should do a best/worst of 2015 list??

off the top of my head, i'll go with the matchups i look forward to every year - Raiders/Chiefs, Packers/Bears, and ill throw in Colts/Jets and Dolphins (throwback)/Giants

worst, lets just say all the Color Rush games

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived