Uniform / Logo Predictions For NFL's 100th Season in 2019

Considering the NFL had it's first major throwback uniform season in 1994 to celebrate the league's 75th season, I've been wondering for years how the NFL's 100th season in 2019 would look as far as uniforms are concerned. Since it is now only three years away I thought I would make a post about it so we can see who was right when 2019 does finally get here.

If the 75th season can give us any ideas, they would be that every team will wear a 100th season jersey patch (every team wore a diamond-shaped 75th Season jersey patch in 1994, even on the throwback uniforms) but I think that's where the similarities between the two seasons will end. I do think special uniforms will be worn in 2019, but I don't think they will be throwbacks. The throwback trend seems to be dead for multiple reasons (played out / losing popularity, pretty much run out of interesting old uniforms to bring back, players must wear the same helmet throughout the season now so that eliminates a lot of options, etc.) so I'm guessing in 2019 to celebrate the 100th Season of the league they will do a throw forward year, with every single team having Color Rush (or some other gimmick) games or having Nike design "Pro Combat" style one-off uniforms designed to be worn with each team's normal helmet.

If you don't count Super Bowl XXIX, when the league let the 49ers wear their 1994 throwbacks longer than teams were initially allowed and throwout the playoffs and Super Bowl, I believe Super Bowl LIV, played at the end of the 2019 season, could be the first year we see alternate jerseys or special one-off "Pro Combat" uniforms in the Super Bowl, if it doesn't happen this year for Super Bowl 50 (could be a nice game day or game time surprise for the 50th celebration.)

In addition to "throw forward" and "Pro Combat" uniforms I'm sure the NFL will make an exception and let the two teams that played in the very first season of the NFL and are still around have a throwback year like they did for the original AFL teams in 2009 for the 50th Anniversary of the AFL. That means the Bears would throwback as the Decatur Staleys and the Cardinals would throwback as the Chicago Cardinals (that would be an interesting game: Chicago vs Chicago! With 1920 throwbacks!!!)

So what do you guys think? What do you think is going to happen three years from now during the 100th Season of the NFL as far as team uniforms and logos are concerned?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1994 was really cool. Every team in Week 3 wore throwbacks. Too bad I was only 3 years old at the time, it would've been great to see some footage. I've come across a little bit on Youtube.

http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/weekly/1994/1994wk3.shtml

I really enjoyed the AFL 50th Anniversary in 2009 too and based on that I'm really hoping they do it again for the 100th Season.

bSLCtu2.png

Don't be surprised if the "Black and Gold" NFL shield (which the league has been using all this season in commemoration of the Super Bowl's 50th anniversary) resurfaces for the league's 100th anniversary season.

YOZXkBG.png?1

As far as a 100th anniversary -- I expect a diamond logo of some sorts again. You'll probably see a throwback game for the Canton Hall of Fame Game. As far as throwbacks go -- I sure hope by 2019 we're able to see throwback helmets, etc. That would definitely complete the look.

Personally, I would like to see era appropriate throwback games -- like the Bears and Cardinals from 1947 or Buccaneers and Seahawks from 1977 -- no mix of time eras. It just ruins it.

1994 was really cool. Every team in Week 3 wore throwbacks.

Actually the Browns were the only team to not have throwback uniforms in 1994. I don't know why, I guess because their regular uniforms never really changed throughout their history, but they did have all-white helmets in the 40's and early 50's so that would have been an interesting look. Maybe because the plain orange helmet acts as the logo of the team they didn't want to mess with it for marketing purposes? But come on, have a little fun, the throwbacks are only for two or three games tops!

This was my idea for their 100th Anniversary, though I doubt anything so extreme would be attempted

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/89181-nfl-100th-anniversary-finished

NFL teams adopt defunct franchises for a series of fun throwback games, such as this example:

cincinnati-daytonatcleveland-canton2.png

WOW! Great concept! Now that you mention it, a throwback year where every team wears throwbacks (or fauxbacks) to the 1920's, the first decade of the NFL, would be absolutely awesome! And the 100th Season in 2019 would be the PERFECT year to do this!!!

I am loving your concept uniforms. I am a sucker for American football jerseys that have a big logo on the chest and then tiny numbers above it off to one side. I am loving your Dayton Triangles throwback, my only recommendation for possible improvement though would be to swap the chest numbers with the triangle logo, to make it more accurate to how the original uniforms looked. Plus the team they are playing in your matchup, the Canton Bulldogs, have a giant C on their chest so the two teams would then match stylistically.

As far as your other teams go, I am totally feeling your Duluth Eskimos, Providence Steamroller would be a great shout out to the tiny state of Rhode Island and all their loyal Pats fans, your Frankford Yellow Jackets concept is freakin' AMAZING, and even though the following uniform isn't from the 20's, I think the NFL making an exception and having a uniform from the 30's would be okay considering how UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME your 1936 Giants throwback is! Wow! (One question though: why does it have a yellow facemask?)

I also love the old English "B" on the chest of the Brecks uniforms.

Overall I am very impressed and wouldn't be surprised if the NFL actually did something like your concept if not exactly how you presented it! Good job man!

And if this concept DOES become a reality, there MUST BE a throwback for the uniform below:

3ebd57b496fefe4ad1769042f8ec64da.png

That jersey would sell like hotcakes!!!!

Don't be surprised if the "Black and Gold" NFL shield (which the league has been using all this season in commemoration of the Super Bowl's 50th anniversary) resurfaces for the league's 100th anniversary season.

I don't know about that, the 50th anniversary of the Super Bowl is pretty special, and the reason the shield is gold this year is because gold is the symbol of 50th anniversaries, so I don't think the NFL would want to reuse it for the 100th anniversary of the league because then in the future there would be confusion about which season it was used in. Even though 100th anniversaries don't have an official symbol I think reusing the black and gold NFL shield wouldn't be smart. They'll probably go all chrome or all crystal or just simply add the number 100 to the inside of the logo or beneath it. The NFL likes to use traditional symbols of specific anniversary years. In 1994, the 75th season of the league, all teams wore a special diamond shaped patch on their jerseys (the diamond is the symbol of 75th anniversaries, commonly known as "diamond anniversaries"). I don't know why 100th anniversaries don't have a traditional symbol; they should because they are important and impressive occasions. However, after some Googling it seems like the modern-day symbol for 100th anniversaries is the 10 carat diamond, so if the NFL is going to reuse any logo for the 100th season, the most appropriate would be the diamond-shaped 75th season logo but obviously with a 100 replacing the 75. My Googling also told me that apparently most people use purple as the color for 100th anniversary celebrations, so as of right now I'm predicting some kind of purple diamond logo is what the 100th season jersey patch will look like!

As far as a 100th anniversary -- I expect a diamond logo of some sorts again. You'll probably see a throwback game for the Canton Hall of Fame Game. As far as throwbacks go -- I sure hope by 2019 we're able to see throwback helmets, etc. That would definitely complete the look.

Personally, I would like to see era appropriate throwback games -- like the Bears and Cardinals from 1947 or Buccaneers and Seahawks from 1977 -- no mix of time eras. It just ruins it.

Yes, I expect a diamond logo again too, as explained in my previous post above.

Yes, the fact that players must wear the same helmet for an entire season definitely throws a wrench in everyone's throwback fantasies.

Era correct throwback games would have been cool this year for each game that was a Super Bowl rematch. Think about it: Super Bowl rematches in the same uniforms that were worn in each Super Bowl game. That would be pretty cool!

How about this idea: for the 2019 season, each week honors a different decade with uniforms throwing back to that decade.

It would breakdown like this:

Week 1: 1920's

Week 2: 1930's

Week 3: 1940's

Week 4: 1950's

Week 5: 1960's

Week 6: 1970's

Week 7: 1980's

Week 8: 1990's

Week 9: 2000's

Week 10: 2010's

Obviously after week 10 there is a problem of what to do now. Do you continue with this timeline, going into future decades with futuristic "throw forward" uniforms? If so it would breakdown like this:

Week 11: 2020's

Week 12: 2030's

Week 13: 2040's

Week 14: 2050's

Week 15: 2060's

Week 16: 2070's

Week 17: 2080's

Obviously the concept uniforms shown through these weeks would be either insanely cool or insanely stupid.

So maybe after week 10 it should just be Color Rush uniforms for the rest of the year?

What do you guys think of this idea?

Yes, the fact that players must wear the same helmet for an entire season definitely throws a wrench in everyone's throwback fantasies.

Era correct throwback games would have been cool this year for each game that was a Super Bowl rematch. Think about it: Super Bowl rematches in the same uniforms that were worn in each Super Bowl game. That would be pretty cool!

How about this idea: for the 2019 season, each week honors a different decade with uniforms throwing back to that decade.

Obviously after week 10 there is a problem of what to do now. Do you continue with this timeline, going into future decades with futuristic "throw forward" uniforms? If so it would breakdown like this:

Obviously the concept uniforms shown through these weeks would be either insanely cool or insanely stupid.

So maybe after week 10 it should just be Color Rush uniforms for the rest of the year?

How would they make different uniforms for 7 different decades that haven't happened yet. I get that "throwing it forward" has been tried in sports, but how would a 2060 uniform be different from a 2070 uniform? Would they just make each one uglier and uglier as the season goes? And Color Rush for 7 straight weeks?! Are you out of your mind?

How would they make different uniforms for 7 different decades that haven't happened yet. I get that "throwing it forward" has been tried in sports, but how would a 2060 uniform be different from a 2070 uniform? Would they just make each one uglier and uglier as the season goes? And Color Rush for 7 straight weeks?! Are you out of your mind?

How a 2060 uniform would differ from a 2070 uniform would be up to the designer.

Color Rush for 7 straight weeks is totally possible. Think about it: most teams have at least three colors in their color scheme: white, primary, and secondary. For teams like the Colts and Jets, you could have white, primary, and gray. So that's at least three monochrome uniform sets per team, some with more like the Ravens (all black, all purple, all white, all gold) and Jaguars (all black, all teal, all white, all gold) and Seahawks (all navy, all neon green, all white, all gray). Hell, you could add gray to every team as a neutral color and then most teams would have at least four different monochrome uniforms to choose from.

I've been wanting to see the Steelers in all white for a while now, ever since I saw old footage of them wearing white pants with their white jerseys in the early 70's.

I'm not out of my mind, I think Color Rush is pretty cool and gives us a nice preview as to the direction both Nike and the league are taking us as far as uniforms are concerned. I like new and different ideas that make life interesting. What's wrong with that?

I've adjusted my schedule. If you dedicate *two* weeks per decade, week 17 ends up being dedicated to the 2000's and it works out perfectly.

Take a look:

Week 2: 1920's

Week 3: 1930's

Week 4: 1930's

Week 5: 1940's

Week 6: 1940's

Week 7: 1950's

Week 8: 1950's

Week 9: 1960's

Week 10: 1960's

Week 11: 1970's

Week 12: 1970's

Week 13: 1980's

Week 14: 1980's

Week 15: 1990's

Week 16: 1990's

Week 17: 2000's

Playoffs / Super Bowl: normal 2010's uniforms

I actually like this idea a million times better than my original idea. Thoughts?

I've adjusted my schedule. If you dedicate *two* weeks per decade, week 17 ends up being dedicated to the 2000's and it works out perfectly.

Take a look:

I actually like this idea a million times better than my original idea. Thoughts?

I would actually love this

Take a look:

Since they have 2 weeks for each decade they could have a home and away so you see both unis for that decade, that would be an awesome season.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Take a look:

I love that idea too.

I would also love to see fauxbacks from teams not founded in those eras yet. That'd be cool.

Take a look:

Since they have 2 weeks for each decade they could have a home and away so you see both unis for that decade, that would be an awesome season.

Only if no team ever played any back to back games as either the home or road team.

Which, you know, has never happened.

Only if no team ever played any back to back games as either the home or road team.

I didnt say it was realistic, just that it would be nice :P.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Take a look:

Yes, it isn't guaranteed that a team would be able to show its home uniform for that decade one week and its road uniform for that decade the other week, but some teams have worn two or more completely different style uniform sets within the same decade so this would give teams the opportunity to show off at least two of them. I mean, how often are the, say, 1960 uniforms of one team exactly the same as their 1969 uniforms? Do this with any decade and any team and chances are you'll find some big differences between the two uniform sets. Some teams would have to go color jersey one week and white jersey the next week because their uni's were the same for the entire decade but other teams that made a lot of changes would get to choose two different years from the same decade with two distinct uniform sets.

For example, the Denver Broncos could wear their 1960 yellow and brown throwbacks with the vertically striped socks in Week 9, and then wear their orange helmet with the crazy cartoon white horse throwbacks in Week 10. A home jersey from one year one week and an away jersey from the same year the next week is just the tip of the iceberg.

Archived