Uniform / Logo Predictions For NFL's 100th Season in 2019

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was my idea for their 100th Anniversary, though I doubt anything so extreme would be attempted

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/89181-nfl-100th-anniversary-finished

NFL teams adopt defunct franchises for a series of fun throwback games, such as this example:

cincinnati-daytonatcleveland-canton2.png

WOW! Great concept! Now that you mention it, a throwback year where every team wears throwbacks (or fauxbacks) to the 1920's, the first decade of the NFL, would be absolutely awesome! And the 100th Season in 2019 would be the PERFECT year to do this!!!

I am loving your concept uniforms. I am a sucker for American football jerseys that have a big logo on the chest and then tiny numbers above it off to one side. I am loving your Dayton Triangles throwback, my only recommendation for possible improvement though would be to swap the chest numbers with the triangle logo, to make it more accurate to how the original uniforms looked. Plus the team they are playing in your matchup, the Canton Bulldogs, have a giant C on their chest so the two teams would then match stylistically.

As far as your other teams go, I am totally feeling your Duluth Eskimos, Providence Steamroller would be a great shout out to the tiny state of Rhode Island and all their loyal Pats fans, your Frankford Yellow Jackets concept is freakin' AMAZING, and even though the following uniform isn't from the 20's, I think the NFL making an exception and having a uniform from the 30's would be okay considering how UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME your 1936 Giants throwback is! Wow! (One question though: why does it have a yellow facemask?)

I also love the old English "B" on the chest of the Brecks uniforms.

Overall I am very impressed and wouldn't be surprised if the NFL actually did something like your concept if not exactly how you presented it! Good job man!

And if this concept DOES become a reality, there MUST BE a throwback for the uniform below:

3ebd57b496fefe4ad1769042f8ec64da.png

That jersey would sell like hotcakes!!!!

Now, would this be a color vs color, white vs color, or white vs white, depending on what the other team wore?

However, I would say that this would look interesting on a modern jersey. However, I expect never to be replicated as a throwback of sorts.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

I think you guys are all going a bit nuts on the throwback ideas. Yeah, it'd be nice, but this is the No Fun League. I like the ideas for different decades every week, but it would be much more realistic to go with a decade every OTHER week, with teams wearing their usual jerseys on the non-throwback weeks. Give the fans some time to digest, to know who is playing, etc.

And you make it so the teams pick a jersey from that decade-ish. If there's something just outside, or they need to fauxback it to make it apply to a modern uniform, so be it. Teams will pick something, just whatever they like, and that's fine. Allow newer teams to adopt defunct franchises like my project featured, or let them fauxback if they feel so inclined. Or they simply defer to let the other team wear whatever they want, and they'll adjust if they have to wear white at home or dark on the road or whatever.

That would be a realistic setup, something worthy of a concept series, but I don't think it could ever happen for real.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I think the Colts are the only team with the same uniforms from 1960 through 1969

art_donovan_1960_12_11.jpg

johnny_unitas_1969_09_21.jpg

Yes, they did have the same uniforms throughout the 60's, but as seen in your second photo, in 1969 they had to wear the "50th Anniversary of the NFL" shoulder patch on both their blue and white jerseys. So 1969 was the only year between 1960 and 1969 that a new element was added that made their uniforms unique that season (but not unique from the rest of the league because every team had to wear the patch as well).

That would be interesting for the 100th anniversary celebration: a throwback from the 50th anniversary complete with the 50th anniversary patch. Only question is, do you also put the 100th anniversary patch on the jersey? That might be a bit much, so if any patch is going to be worn it would be the 100th anniversary patch, to ensure no confusion in the future.

I think the Colts are the only team with the same uniforms from 1960 through 1969

Yes, they did have the same uniforms throughout the 60's, but as seen in your second photo, in 1969 they had to wear the "50th Anniversary of the NFL" shoulder patch on both their blue and white jerseys. So 1969 was the only year between 1960 and 1969 that a new element was added that made their uniforms unique that season (but not unique from the rest of the league because every team had to wear the patch as well).

That would be interesting for the 100th anniversary celebration: a throwback from the 50th anniversary complete with the 50th anniversary patch. Only question is, do you also put the 100th anniversary patch on the jersey? That might be a bit much, so if any patch is going to be worn it would be the 100th anniversary patch, to ensure no confusion in the future.

Patch or no patch, it's the same uniform

And if this concept DOES become a reality, there MUST BE a throwback for the uniform below:

3ebd57b496fefe4ad1769042f8ec64da.png

That jersey would sell like hotcakes!!!!

Now, would this be a color vs color, white vs color, or white vs white, depending on what the other team wore?

However, I would say that this would look interesting on a modern jersey. However, I expect never to be replicated as a throwback of sorts.

I would consider a game featuring that jersey to be color vs color, because half of it is white (a neutral color) and pitting it against a team wearing all-white jerseys would be too visually confusing. The only colors with enough contrast against the dark blue half AND the white half would be orange or red, so I could totally see a game played between teams wearing the above two-tone jersey and a team wearing an all-orange or all-red jersey.

Obviously the jersey would need numbers on the front before it could be worn in today's NFL. I think adding them the same way they appear on the back would be really cool, but how would you treat single numbers? Would you need special two tone numerals, split down the middle into two halves (one dark blue and one white) made just for players who wear single numbers? That's what I would do. However that would probably be hard to read from a distance so either white numbers with dark blue outlines or dark blue numbers with white outlines would also work for single numbered jerseys.

The 1969 Colts uniform is not the same as the 1960 through 1968 Colts uniform. The 50th Anniversary of the NFL patch was worn in 1969, giving the uniform a unique design element for that year. How does that make it the same uniform worn from 1960 to 1968 when the patch wasn't worn from 1960 to 1968?

Yes, without the patch it's the same uniform as 1960 to 1968, but the fact the patch was worn in 1969 makes the uniform completely stand out in my mind that year. It makes it unique for that season so that's why I don't consider it to be the same exact uniform.

The 1969 Colts uniform is not the same as the 1960 through 1968 Colts uniform. The 50th Anniversary of the NFL patch was worn in 1969, giving the uniform a unique design element for that year. How does that make it the same uniform worn from 1960 to 1968 when the patch wasn't worn from 1960 to 1968?

I dont consider patches to be uniform changes

I think you guys are all going a bit nuts on the throwback ideas. Yeah, it'd be nice, but this is the No Fun League. I like the ideas for different decades every week, but it would be much more realistic to go with a decade every OTHER week, with teams wearing their usual jerseys on the non-throwback weeks. Give the fans some time to digest, to know who is playing, etc.

And you make it so the teams pick a jersey from that decade-ish. If there's something just outside, or they need to fauxback it to make it apply to a modern uniform, so be it. Teams will pick something, just whatever they like, and that's fine. Allow newer teams to adopt defunct franchises like my project featured, or let them fauxback if they feel so inclined. Or they simply defer to let the other team wear whatever they want, and they'll adjust if they have to wear white at home or dark on the road or whatever.

That would be a realistic setup, something worthy of a concept series, but I don't think it could ever happen for real.

I like your every other week idea because dedicating two weeks per decade for the entire season might be a little too ambitious, considering it is, like you said, the No Fun League. Plus for marketing purposes the NFL would still want the teams to wear their "present day" uniforms throughout the year so I think alternating throwback weeks solves the problem nicely. I really like the idea of either fauxbacks or adopt-a-defunct-franchise uniforms for the teams that didn't exist in certain decades.

I'm surprised you don't think this could happen for real though. Keep in mind the 75th season in 1994 was a major step forward for the NFL as far as how it treated anniversary seasons and throwback uniforms (the first ever league-wide throwback year) so if an organization as conservative as the NFL could go forward with such an out-of-character and progressive season as 1994, I'm sure they won't hold anything back for 2019, whether it be with throwbacks, fauxbacks, throw forwards, season-long Color Rush games on Thursday nights, or whatever. If 1994 taught us anything, it is to expect some wild uniforms, and a 100th anniversary only happens once and is more important and more impressive than a 75th anniversary, so the league will make certain it will be a season to remember, and a major way of doing that will be with memorable uniforms.

I like the idea of a "Throwback Thursday" promotion. Have every team play one Thursday game against a division rival, starting with the oldest teams wearing the oldest throwbacks and ending with the newest teams in the newest throwbacks. So the first game would be Bears v Packers in 1920s unis and the last would be Texans v Jaguars in late 90s-early 2000s throwbacks. This way you don't have to worry about getting 8 new unis for every team and creating a ton of fauxbacks (though that would be pretty cool to see).

Yes, without the patch it's the same uniform as 1960 to 1968, but the fact the patch was worn in 1969 makes the uniform completely stand out in my mind that year. It makes it unique for that season so that's why I don't consider it to be the same exact uniform.

A patch doesn't make it a new or different uniform.

I like the idea of a "Throwback Thursday" promotion. Have every team play one Thursday game against a division rival, starting with the oldest teams wearing the oldest throwbacks and ending with the newest teams in the newest throwbacks. So the first game would be Bears v Packers in 1920s unis and the last would be Texans v Jaguars in late 90s-early 2000s throwbacks. This way you don't have to worry about getting 8 new unis for every team and creating a ton of fauxbacks (though that would be pretty cool to see).

I like that...Except I wouldn't limit it to current division rivals. Each game should be two rivals from that decade...

I call Steelers-Raiders (with Steelers in block numbers) for the 1970's

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/9/2016 at 8:29 AM, mbannon92 said:

So the first game would be Bears v Packers in 1920s unis and the last would be Texans v Jaguars in late 90s-early 2000s throwbacks.

Actually, the Jaguars first uniform started in the mid 90s and ended in the late 2000s.

On 1/17/2016 at 2:01 PM, MCH925 said:

Just a question on the throwback idea...what would the Texans, Ravens, and Panthers wear?

The Panthers and Texans don't have anything to throw back to. The Panthers prior to 2012 had a different look in their logo, but that's not major enough. The Ravens could use their 1996-1998 uniforms where the team logo had wings.

3 hours ago, gothedistance said:

Actually, the Jaguars first uniform started in the mid 90s and ended in the late 2000s.

The Panthers and Texans don't have anything to throw back to. The Panthers prior to 2012 had a different look in their logo, but that's not major enough. The Ravens could use their 1996-1998 uniforms where the team logo had wings.

The Jags first uniform technically lasted two years...then they changed the number font.

The Ravens can't wear the winged logo.  They lost the lawsuit.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 1/7/2016 at 8:26 PM, ForwardProgress said:

By this logic, than every week every player on a team is wearing a different uniform.

They all have a nameplate on the back with a name different than anyone else on the team.

So each player has a "unique" uniform.

I don't consider the Uniforms worn in the SuperBowl to be "different" than the uniform worn throughout the season just because they added a patch to commemorate their involvement.

On 1/17/2016 at 4:01 PM, MCH925 said:

Just a question on the throwback idea...what would the Texans, Ravens, and Panthers wear?

On 8/8/2016 at 2:58 AM, gothedistance said:

I guess it just be Battle Red for the Texans. One surreal idea I had was the Texans vs. Titans with the latter in their... predecessor's jerseys.

12 minutes ago, insert name said:

have the Ravens wears Browns uniforms.

NO! The Ravens are considered an expansion team by the NFL, not a continuation of the Browns. 

19 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Since Fauxbacks are used more frequently, maybe we'll see the Texans, Panthers, and Ravens go that route.

Maybe the NFL reaches back through the previous seasons and assigns them a team to represent, like the Canton Bulldogs or Pottsville Maroons. In reality, they'd probably only wear their regular uniforms.  It's what happens in baseball and basketball sometimes. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived