Portland Sawbucks NHL

sparkychewbarky

Portland is always at least mentioned when discussing NHL relocation.

It's a decent market in the desirable U.S. Pacific Northwest region.

It has an NHL-ready venue (the Moda Center).

NHL aspirations pretty much hinge on the whim of Moda and NBA Trailblazers' owner Paul Allen.

Although he's a "basketball guy", Mr. Allen reportedly put in a bid for the NHL's Coyotes in 2013, which never transpired.

So, in regards to an NHL franchise landing in Portland...you never know...maybe.

Based on the (slim) possibility, I gave a Portland concept a go.

The Inspiration

I built this identity around 3 elements of Portland culture/history...

- the quirky, iconic Portland "White Stag" sign, featuring a stylized deer/stag.

- Plaid. I think of plaid when I think of Portland.

I don't know why...perhaps because of the Grunge scene, or the lumberjack tradition.

- the lumber industry- an important part of Portland's history.

There's a large concrete statue of Paul Bunyan (looking more like Alley-Oop) somewhere in the city...

port01.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Portland Sawbucks

I decided to go with "Sawbucks" as a team name...

It's unique, crisp and of course can be shortened to "Bucks" when needed.

It combines the lumber and deer/stag/buck elements.

As far as I can tell, "Starbucks" has 3 meanings...

I went with #3...

port02.jpg

On the con side, "Sawbucks" (in some areas) is a slang term for a drug "package". (pretty obscure)

and... it may be a little too similar in sound to Seattle's finest coffee.

However, perhaps the Portland marketing folks can have a bit of fun with the coffee thing...

port21.jpg

Hooray, more Sparky Chewbarky! I love the name and mascot, it is extremely unique but still sounds "major league". My only complaint is that the colors seem too similar to your Ontario Beavers concept.

Colours and Wordmark

Green, yellow-gold and white is a classic (and personal fave) scheme that's still up for grabs in the NHL.

The "Wild" uses green/red/gold. The Stars have gone to green/black/silver.

So, I'm claiming the colours of such champions as the Packers, Athletics and the CFL's Eskimos, for Portland's NHL franchise.

The wordmark uses the "Portland" script (copied almost directly from the sign), combined with a more modern, "edgy" "Sawbucks"

port03.jpg

Hooray, more Sparky Chewbarky! I love the name and mascot, it is extremely unique but still sounds "major league". My only complaint is that the colors seem too similar to your Ontario Beavers concept.

Hi jmoe..

Yeah, you're right. Pretty much identical.

I guess first team in gets the colours :D

The Beevs could always go brown and yellow.

Thanks j.

The name and concept is interesting and this concept has potential. Not to mention its strong connection to Portland. But I think I would like to see a more flat vector of the logos rather than on a presentation graphic. It takes away from it if you ask me. I don't know if that makes sense?

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Finally! How long were you gonna keep us waiting for more of your work? Gosh, have some respect for us Sparky!

Sorry MrW...Family, kids, job, etc....

Hey, how 'bout you?

Haven't seen a lot of your good stuff lately....More in 2016??

Oooooh this has got me excited. If it is even half as well thought out and detailed as your Aces concept, it is going to be amazing!

I'm really looking forward to the jerseys. That stag is great.

Thanks guys. Probably won't be as detailed as the Vegas concepts. Those took a lot of time. This is just meant to be a quickie, although I'm gonna try to throw in a couple of new wrinkles.

I love the concept so far but I'm going to be distracted by the fact the team name is so close to a Pokemon.

Wow...wasn't aware of that, Boogie. Thanks.

Maybe there's a marketing opportunity here...

The name and concept is interesting and this concept has potential. Not to mention its strong connection to Portland. But I think I would like to see a more flat vector of the logos rather than on a presentation graphic. It takes away from it if you ask me. I don't know if that makes sense?

It does make sense WW. I have a tendency of overworking things.

I'll post up some clean wordmarks and logos on white later. Thank you.

Logos

I have to admit...I didn't like the new Ottawa CFL team name of "RedBlacks" to begin with (still not fussy on the name),

but I do like what they've done with the logo and how they incorporated the red-black plaid into unis and merchandise...

images.jpg

So, I've emulated (fancy word for copied) some of what they've done.

The circular saw blade is a popular shape right now. I've seen it in other places.

I guess with the roundel being popular, the blade is a variation....kind of a roundel with teeth!

I worked up some logos with the blade and some elements from that quirky "Portland" sign.

These could be some usable merch logos...

port05.jpg

I settled on a more detailed stag head, keeping the unique shape of the antlers.

For the secondary, I used a cross-cut saw shape for a shoulder patch...

port06.jpg

I'm a big fan of the "Other Logos" design in the lower left. I keep seeing a smiley face in it with one eye as the "o" and one as the "a".

As far as the marks go... I feel like the Primary is great, but missing something. I just can't put my finger on what it is. The Secondary is very good, nothing I'd change about that.

I like the way you rendered the deer's head, but I don't like it in the saw blade. The saw blade feels too detailed, like the teeth would get muddied at smaller resolution. The deer head also feels unbalanced inside the saw blade.

I think it'd be good to go another direction and work a saw more subtly into the antlers or legs or something of the deer.

I'm not sure how I feel about the overall name. Sawbucks is very cool and unique, but it really doesn't feel NHL. It'd fit into a minor league a lot better.

The Portland Sawbucks

I decided to go with "Sawbucks" as a team name...

It's unique, crisp and of course can be shortened to "Bucks" when needed.

It combines the lumber and deer/stag/buck elements.

As far as I can tell, "Starbucks" has 3 meanings...

I went with #3...

... it may be a little too similar in sound to Seattle's finest coffee.

However, perhaps the Portland marketing folks can have a bit of fun with the coffee thing...

So similar in sound it even crept into your writing when you meant sawbucks! You also may not be aware that a competing coffee brand calls itself "Seattle's Finest."

As usual, you show a lot of flair and talent with this concept, and I know you're just getting started! I'm thinking faux crossed suspenders on the uniform would be in keeping with the lumberjack theme, and would also tie in the X shape of a sawbuck...

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Archived