062thwomp.gif

The St. Louis Rams of Los Angeles

Sorry, I meant the "Cleveland Rams of Inglewood, CA, fairly close to Los Angeles, but also once part of St. Louis, Missouri, but now back to Inglewood, CA, also fairly close to Anaheim, home of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, once known as the Los Angeles Angels, then the California Angels, before reverting to the Los Angeles Angels, but legally required to tack on the 'of Anaheim' moniker."

What I think would be the perfect compromise for the Rams would be to return to the Royal blue &yellow home jerseys but with white numbers so that the pants stripe doesn't come out of nowhere, and then for the road uniform try to make it as similar to the Fearsome Foursome uniform as possible, while keeping the yellow horns helmet and horns on the jersey,

5 minutes of paint.net modifications later:

la_rams.jpg

The return of the Rams is a huge deal for the NFL and all the more reason for them to push a fresh look for their newest market with only half assed connections to the identity of old because Nike. Seriously, we've faced this "keeping in line with our roots" rhetoric before in the Browns' recent revamp and look how that turned out. We can only hope they'll actually nail this one.

Does not compute. It's a big deal for the NFL, but what the hell does that have to do with them using a "fresh" look? If they return to LA and wear the colors and jerseys the fans loved already, it's no longer a big deal? The people of LA will shun the team because they want design elements that highlight Nike's newest technology? The League will be viewed as a failure for not wearing some instantly-dated Nike design?

Also, the Browns design is a cluster:censored: because they're run by imbeciles, but mostly specifically because they let Nike do whatever it wanted. The idea of keeping in line with their roots was always BS. They told Nike anything could change but the helmet (and obviously primary logo), and it all did. Nike gave them orange numbers on the home and road jersey, added a shadow to the numbers, reversed their traditional striping pattern on the white pants, cut off the stripes on the pants to put a wordmark, dropped their iconic sleeve stripes in favor of new striping, had said striping run across the chest, ORANGE STITCHING on the brown jersey, and then for good measure, added a big chest wordmark to make them look even more like a high school team.

The problem is, that was Nike trying to "keep in line with their roots" while updating a look that didn't need updating. It wasn't Nike trying to be "experimental" as with the Seahawks and Buccaneers, but it ended up being worse than both of those. This *was* Nike's attempt to modernize, and it's a flaming pile of crap. They are going to do something unnecessarily different, add nonsensical sublimated patterns and superfluous details, then come up with BS marketing speak about them paying homage to history by looking differently than they ever looked before. Sure, that's probably what is in store for the Rams, but it's not a good thing.

They'll come out with some "anthracite" garbage that Nike Fanboys will love and justify it by saying something like "LA is Hollywood. Hollywood is the silver screen. The Rams will play a special brand of football. A cinematic struggle each gameday. The "Hollywood Silver" represents Los Angeles' glamorous past and the gridiron movie magic the Rams will create in the future."

Dumb people will eat this :censored: up.

And now I want them to look like the Lakers of the NFL instead.

This is an old photoshop from a few years ago, but since we're on the subject. I tinkered with some of what I thought were issues with their original uniforms - namely the white stripe on the pants sticks out too much, and you get the same effect out of a shoulder stripe as you do the Rams old sleeve horn, but it can be more easily tailored to changing uniforms cuts and also because rams don't have 4 horns or horns coming out of their shoulders. The sleeve horn is almost too clever.

MarshallHome_zpsyk1ymrdy.jpg

I agree with the pant stripe. For years I couldn't figure out why the white jersey looked great while the blue looked off. White stripe works with the white jersey but not with the blue. Wonder if they'd use the white stripe version with white jersey only? Or, just go full solid blue stripe for all since it does match all else.

RamPant.jpg

Does anybody know why the Rams made the switch to metallic gold in 2000? Seemed like an odd change to make seeing as how metallic gold is associated with the 49ers, who are arguably the Rams oldest rival in the league. Always thought yellow would have looked good with the navy blue millennium Ram uniforms.

They'll come out with some "anthracite" garbage that Nike Fanboys will love and justify it by saying something like "LA is Hollywood. Hollywood is the silver screen. The Rams will play a special brand of football. A cinematic struggle each gameday. The "Hollywood Silver" represents Los Angeles' glamorous past and the gridiron movie magic the Rams will create in the future."

What if they go with gold chrome horns on the helmet to represent award-winning celebrities?

Oscar_statue_2.jpg

Grammy-psd10995.png

emmyAward.jpg

*snip*

Does not compute. It's a big deal for the NFL, but what the hell does that have to do with them using a "fresh" look?

*snip*

I'm not sure where you were going with all that. I think we all know that regardless of what we or the LA Rams fans want, we can anticipate new merch based on the NikeFL's recent track record instead of all this wanting speculation that they'll just settle for something we've already seen. I think the writing is on the wall, and the royal and yellow LA Rams are about to get Browns-ed.

Does anybody know why the Rams made the switch to metallic gold in 2000? Seemed like an odd change to make seeing as how metallic gold is associated with the 49ers, who are arguably the Rams oldest rival in the league. Always thought yellow would have looked good with the navy blue millennium Ram uniforms.

It happened in 2000, the same year the Patriots darkened their colors, right? Seems the 2000s trend was to go for darker, more muted colors. Plus, the Rams had just won the Super Bowl and thus a lot of attention, so it seemed like a good time to change their uniforms up a bit.

The darker colors were a trend. Rams, Patriots, Eagles, Texans, all went with darker colors. Also, you had the Bills going the weird uniform with two-tone blue. Seattle went darker blue. Denver had made the switch with Nike, etc.

The darker colors were a trend. Rams, Patriots, Eagles, Texans, all went with darker colors. Also, you had the Bills going the weird uniform with two-tone blue. Seattle went darker blue. Denver had made the switch with Nike, etc.

Jets went Namath

7-curtis-martin-1998-new-york-jets_pg_60

I'd like to see the Rams keep the same number font.

I agree. I looks fine to me. The last thing I want to see is another awful "custom" font. Either keep what they've got, or go back to a more traditional block font. I actually really like giant block numbers without any outlines or extras.

Just use this as a general idea of what the rams in yellow-blue could look like. Im not saying exactly this design wise, but it give you some visual proof.

AR-140909289.jpg

Beautiful. Of course, I just got ridiculed for suggesting this yesterday.

That is not what you suggested. You suggested adding dark grey, or worse, black to the Rams blue and yellow. I can't picture either looking good.

Edit: Here's what happens when you use black with those colors

pg2_g_carlson1_sw_600.jpgncf_g_sanjose12_600.jpg

PUKE

No, I suggested first that they keep the Navy from the current St. Louis sets and update it with the Athletic Gold from the previous sets as a way to combine both histories. I then speculated that Black or Grey might be added.

Additionally, that's a terrible set of photos used to try to illustrate your point. It's not that adding Black or Grey to either doesn't work, it's just that some of you don't like/want it, and thus you are trying to discredit it as non-workable.

Just use this as a general idea of what the rams in yellow-blue could look like. Im not saying exactly this design wise, but it give you some visual proof.

AR-140909289.jpg

That is not what you suggested. You suggested adding dark grey, or worse, black to the Rams blue and yellow. I can't picture either looking good.

PUKE

No, I suggested first that they keep the Navy from the current St. Louis sets and update it with the Athletic Gold from the previous sets as a way to combine both histories. I then speculated that Black or Grey might be added.

Additionally, that's a terrible set of photos used to try to illustrate your point. It's not that adding Black or Grey to either doesn't work, it's just that some of you don't like/want it, and thus you are trying to discredit it as non-workable.

agreed. that uniform design is horrible, but i actually dig the color palette. do i like enough that i think it should be the Rams colors? im not sure. but those colors work fine.

Red and Black for the Rams. bring it on

Problem:

Fordham football hasn't been relevant since World War Two.

AR-140909289.jpg

PUKE

agreed. that uniform design is horrible, but i actually dig the color palette. do i like enough that i think it should be the Rams colors? im not sure. but those colors work fine.

This would've been a better example

20130918__0910parry2~3.JPG

Red and Black for the Rams. bring it on

Problem:

Fordham football hasn't been relevant since World War Two.

Really pissed off Vince Lombardi, too.

What if they go with gold chrome horns on the helmet to represent award-winning celebrities?

Oscar_statue_2.jpg

This is a good point. I didn't chrome was an option before, but now I absolutely do.