OnWis97

Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I would expect the Rams to do what the Giants did; lighten the helmet a little, maybe give it some metallic sparkle to make it a better match to the jersey.  It doesn't match exactly in all conditions - few helmets do - but it's much closer to the spirit of the thing.

I hope that's what they would do... I just don't have a ton of faith in the organization that ham-fisted this look into existence to think that a royal blue helmet is the right move:

gurley(2)

5 hours ago, GFB said:

If Royal Blue and Gold are indeed the primary colors, the Rams need to ditch the navy helmets. 

Mv7HEgE.png

And yet the navy helmet's been a Rams thing for decades.

RAly78d.jpg

16 minutes ago, LMU said:

RAly78d.jpg

Which, to be honest, I don't think looks all that bad.  Maybe darken the jersey a touch (think Dodger blue rather than Cubs blue) and the difference wouldn't be terrible.

35 minutes ago, GFB said:

gettyimages-859135102.jpg?w=1000&h=600&c

Either blue works, but IMO they should pick one. And yellow is definitely the way to go. Blue/white is boring and pointless, blue and metallic gold still feels like St. Louis.

The helmet matching the jersey is one of those things that makes perfect sense, but seeing the mock-up rendered in royal blue just looks wrong. I guess that’s because the Rams throwback helmets have always been darker blue. I could see the Giants solution being a good option so that under certain lighting they appear to match but also can appear deep and dark like the classic lids. I hope that’s what they go with.

It’s also tricky because you can’t get different materials to match under all conditions: sunlight, artificial light, in person, on television, in still photos, and more.

The metallic flake gives the Giants some variation, ensuring that some part of it will match the jersey closely enough. 

The giants helmet is beautiful, and would work for the rams, but I also like the navy for both teams. The navy giants helmet with the royal jerseys looked so bad ass. Like they were bruises or something. The helmet being darker than the jersey is almost never a bad thing. Just put some navy somewhere in the logo so as to appease the “but it’s not one of our colores!!” crowd. 

23 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The giants helmet is beautiful, and would work for the rams, but I also like the navy for both teams. The navy giants helmet with the royal jerseys looked so bad ass. Like they were bruises or something. The helmet being darker than the jersey is almost never a bad thing. Just put some navy somewhere in the logo so as to appease the “but it’s not one of our colores!!” crowd. 

Related image

Helmets not correctly matching the jerseys will always look ate up. The Giants corrected it, and no doubt the LA Rams would've done so had they not moved. The Rams in St Louis did, just while going in their own direction with navy and gold. The royal blue and yellow helmets will look stunning in that California sun.

While looking for this photo of what I consider a pretty bad-ass look, I discovered that David Meggett is a serial rapist.  Gods I hated him as a kid, and now I get to hate him as an adult too!

807043aad97f839b6d4b89dcebd8f3ec.jpg  

9 hours ago, LMU said:

RAly78d.jpg

The question is, were the navy helmets by choice or necessity? Because it’s well established that the helmet manufactures couldn’t produce royal blue helmets in the 70s and 80s:

gettyimages-2368313.jpg?w=1000&h=600&cro

Phil-Simms-throws-Michael-Breeding-MEDIA

elwayweb5s-2-web.jpg

Then, when the technology finally allowed for true royal/medium blue helmets (around mid-late 90s), around the same time the Giants jumped at the chance to finally match their uniforms, the Rams avoided the question entirely by commiting to the GSoT navy and Vegas gold look. Hypothetically, if they decided to stick with the royal blue uniforms after the Super Bowl win, do you believe they change the helmets sometime in the early 00s? I think there’s a good chance they do.

I will say, the current navy helmets allow them to both get around the NFL’s one helmet rule for the throwbacks AND to be historically accurate... It also looks “right,” as many others have pointed out. But if the Rams are getting ready to commit back to royal blue and athletic gold on a full-time basis, shouldn’t they update the helmets now that the option is available to them? 

(Also, I think it’s interesting to note that the athletic gold “color rush” uniforms don’t have any royal blue at the moment... Do those get updated from navy to royal blue as well?)

The Rams ARE going to go Royal and Yellow when they rebrand, they've basically acknowledged it.

The only question is what the new uniforms will look like with that color scheme.

23 hours ago, GFB said:

I hope that's what they would do... I just don't have a ton of faith in the organization that ham-fisted this look into existence to think that a royal blue helmet is the right move:

gurley(2)

I can’t hold that look against them. 

Yes, they should have taken the option of going throwbacks full time once they moved to LA, but once they realized their mistake? They did all they could to LA-ify their navy and old gold look, and this was acknowledged as an imperfect solution. 

I don’t expect something so mismatched to be unveiled once the new look is ready.

That said? I can see the above look getting really popular in 15-20 years, the same way people like the Islanders’ fisherman look or the White Sox’ shorts look.

30 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I can see the above look getting really popular in 15-20 years, the same way people like the Islanders’ fisherman look or the White Sox’ shorts look.

People like to like the looks.   They don’t actually want the teams to adopt them. 

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

People like to like the looks.   They don’t actually want the teams to adopt them. 

Yeah I’m not saying people will be clamouring for the mismatched navy Rams look. Just that it’ll acquire some hipster cache in due time due to how ridiculous it is :D 

9 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yeah I’m not saying people will be clamouring for the mismatched navy Rams look. Just that it’ll acquire some hipster cache in due time due to how ridiculous it is :D 

On 11/21/2018 at 6:59 AM, GFB said:

If Royal Blue and Gold are indeed the primary colors, the Rams need to ditch the navy helmets. 

Mv7HEgE.png

Please please please. 

Regarding the navy helmets: Just because a certain look or color has been around for decades doesn’t mean it’s good (see the Cowboys’ green pants)

18 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Please please please. 

Regarding the navy helmets: Just because a certain look or color has been around for decades doesn’t mean it’s good (see the Cowboys’ green pants)

I was going to make the same point. "We've always done it that way" doesn't make a lot of sense when there are valid alternatives to make it look better.

51 minutes ago, Matito said:

I was going to make the same point. "We've always done it that way" doesn't make a lot of sense when there are valid alternatives to make it look better.

Possibly, but judging from that photoshop? I’m not sure matching the helmet to the jersey makes it look better. 

I would suggest finding a medium between royal and navy for both components if matching is the goal here. 

On 11/21/2018 at 11:39 PM, GFB said:

Then, when the technology finally allowed for true royal/medium blue helmets (around mid-late 90s)

We could kill the Kennedys but we couldn't make three shades of blue plastic.

I honestly think the Rams will just go navy and yellow. The Rams have always had a navy helmet (except 1949 when it was red) and I don't think they would randomly break that tradition but who knows? I mean the navy survived the St. Louis redesign, so I think it will survive the move to Los Angeles.

I'm more concerned with what the jersey and pants will look like than the helmet. We know the helmet is off limits for any major changes but the jersey and pants? Anything goes with that.