Los Angeles Rams COO Confirms New Color Scheme, Uniforms and Logos In 2020

January 3, 2020 - 18:29 PM

In a letter to fans on Thursday morning, Los Angeles Rams chief operating officer Kevin Demoff announced the team will unveil a new color scheme, uniforms and logos ahead of their move to SoFi Stadium next fall. “This exciting time […]

Read More...

18 hours ago, colortv said:

Has anyone confirmed that the Chargers are in fact getting new uniforms/logo?

I don't expect any changes to the Chargers, the only change they needed to make (besides moving back to San Diego) was making the powder blue their main home unis. 

1 hour ago, RayFinkle said:

New color scheme??? 

I wouldn't read too much into it. They went from gold, navy to white, navy since their move back to LA. Odds are they're just going back to yellow and navy or royal blue.

1 hour ago, RayFinkle said:

New color scheme??? 

Royal blue and gold would technically be a new color scheme.

People are losing their minds over this on Twitter, obviously without knowing any details.  People act like it's as simple as just making the throwbacks  primaries, but they would need a tweak or two.  The pants striping is out-of-place and doesn't go with anything else on the uniform, the helmet and jersey colors need to match, and the horns on the sleeves don't work as well with the new jerseys as they did in the past.  I do agree that they should serve as the basis of what comes next, though.

The Jets worked out fine (except for a miss on the helmet logo), so I'll remain hopeful.  As for the horns, I wouldn't be opposed to a revision along the lines of what the Vikings did, to give it more of a 3D effect.  The key would be to not go too far with that, though, as most of the concepts I've seen do.  It would also be fine to leave it as-is and just match the color to the jersey.

886.gif3h3txqip3324d6gtwpk2.gif

May be an unpopular opinion, but I never liked the horns on the sleeve. Even when they were in St. Louis. Rams don't have horns on their shoulders, only on their heads so it doesn't make any sense. The helmets make sense. Sleeves are just overkill and, as mentioned, don't work with today's jersey cut. The shoulder stripe from the current navy and white jerseys would probably make for a good compromise in updated colors.

1 hour ago, McCall said:

May be an unpopular opinion, but I never liked the horns on the sleeve. Even when they were in St. Louis. Rams don't have horns on their shoulders, only on their heads so it doesn't make any sense. The helmets make sense. Sleeves are just overkill and, as mentioned, don't work with today's jersey cut. The shoulder stripe from the current navy and white jerseys would probably make for a good compromise in updated colors.

I don't think getting rid of the shoulder horns is all that unpopular of an opinion.  I don't think they should be on there either as the helmet horns are good enough.

I would like to think it’s not an unpopular opinion at all. 

Horns on the helmet are inspired.  But once you’ve gone that literal with the helmet, horns on the shoulders are beyond stupid. 

If they do something like this (except on the collar of course) I’ll be good. A good mesh of all eras.spacer.png

Yes...basically University of California Berkeley colors. A slightly lighter shade of navy though.

spacer.png

I don’t object to an interpolation of these.

Yeah I love the retro shoulder hoop when it started at the rib cage/under the arm

spacer.png

I hope that not liking the ram horns on the sleeve is an unpopular opinion, its a reasonably iconic jersey.  Spare me the semantics on the horns not being on the shoulders of the animal, its a design element, and it's very effective.  Did you know they're also not actually Rams playing on the field? 😆 

But I will say, I get the malaise when it comes the current throwbacks. If you half-ass em, they look kinda stupid.  Like little curly cues.

spacer.png

Either do 'em right, or don't do 'em at all. (Although that would still be a mistake.)

3 hours ago, colortv said:

I always hesitate to read too much into social media graphics because they don’t always mean anything (example, the Twins have used a few brighter colors on social media that aren’t used anywhere else). The timing of their rollout is interesting, though, so I could potentially see it being something.

IF it is, then I’m a bit lukewarm. The right uniform design could make it look good, but the throwback royal blue just looks right. I’d rather them stick with that. 

I've been thinking that a shade in between royal and navy would be ideal. Mostly because the helmet doesn't look right to me in royal blue, it just doesn't. But then again, there's already too many navy blue teams out there. My true wish is medium dark blue and athletic gold only, cut out the white(except for away, obviously)

5 hours ago, McCall said:

Rams don't have horns on their shoulders, only on their heads so it doesn't make any sense.

Rams also aren't royal blue and yellow, so they've already failed the "realism" test.

As for modern jersey cuts, I think they've made it work just fine.

spacer.png

12 hours ago, McCall said:

Rams don't have horns on their shoulders, only on their heads so it doesn't make any sense.

8106_philadelphia_eagles-home-2012.pngForeverEagle.jpg

Philadelphia has really screwed it up--eagles don't have wings on their head.  Additionally, eagles only have one head attached at the distal end of their spine, not two heads mounted at the shoulder.  It's as if the team aren't even trying to go full cosplay.

Hate to burst that lovely straw man, but nobody’s looking for outright realism. The beauty of Gehrke’s design, however, is the hint of literalism.  It’s inspired.

It’s very possible to have too much of a good thing.  The impact is blunted through repetition. The 49ers didn’t need their primary logo on uniforms six times. And the Rams don’t need an extra set of horns.  Just a step too far.

The Iowa Barnstormers have a similarly clever look.  Goggles on the helmet is wonderful; extra pairs of googles on the shoulders would be just stupid.  As are the shoulder horns. 

spacer.png

I agree with the camp that says the horns should only be on the helmet. And I think the old "bears aren't blue, falcons aren't red, eagles don't have wings on their heads" argument doesn't apply. The painting of horns on the Rams' helmets was the first helmet design. And it wasn't a logo, or a marketed design element. It was an equipment manager thinking how it would look good if, because real rams have horns on their heads, the players could have horns on their heads, too. 

It's innovative and clever on the helmet.  Much less so on the shoulder.  More is not better. I've seen Vikings concepts where they put the horn from the helmet on the sleeves.  Dopey.

Edit - while I was typing this @Gothamite wrote basically the same thing, with a much better example. The Iowa Barnstormers with goggles on the sleeves is a perfect example of why it doesn't work.

Very much like the Brewers, if the Rams go with navy and athletic gold, it will be a great improvement over the current look. However, just like the Brewers, and maybe even more so, going with navy over royal is the wrong choice. I'm not sure how the southern California sunshine will look in the new stadium but royal looks better in sunlight than navy.

44 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Hate to burst that lovely straw man, but nobody’s looking for outright realism. The beauty of Gehrke’s design, however, is the hint of literalism.  It’s inspired.

It’s very possible to have too much of a good thing.  The impact is blunted through repetition. The 49ers didn’t need their primary logo on uniforms six times. And the Rams don’t need an extra set of horns.  Just a step too far.

Not to pick on McCall, but if the argument is that "rams don't have horns on their shoulders," then someone is looking for realism.

Your stance (the underlined portion above) makes total sense.