Report: Premier League Lion Going Away

dfwabel

Daily Mail

The Premier League’s logo of a crowned lion is going to be replaced as part of their major rebranding exercise.

Despite having a successful image globally, they are planning an overhaul to maximise having a clean brand with no title sponsor next season. Instead of long-time backers Barclays, the richest league in the world can afford to have a roster of secondary rights partners.

A creative agency will be appointed after a tender this month, with the brief to link all the PL’s various work under the new branding. And the dated logo, based on the original tie-up with the FA’s three lions, is going to be culled.

However the PL’s name will not change in the wake of the Football League’s brainwave, which resulted in their rebranding as the English Football League.

Boo! I really like the lion; I thought it was very well-rendered and tied things back to England nicely. I'm surprised, though, that work has not already started on a project of this magnitude, which they'll want to have ready by the start of the 2016-17 season in August at the latest. And I hope this doesn't become a sweeping rebrand that also gets rid of the number font the PL uses; that font is beautiful.

I am so glad to read about a league dropping a sponsor in order to have "a clean brand". Now if only some teams would follow suit, and would realise that the only logo that belongs on a uniform is that of the team itself.

But it will be terribly unfortunate if they stop using the lion. They should just stay with the sponsor-free lion logo that they already have.

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

What a silly idea! I love the lion - it has a presence.

Sydney Swans / Newcastle Knights / Newcastle United Jets / Sydney Thunder / Sydney Kings / NSW Waratahs / NSW Pride / Australia

Manchester United / Montreal Canadiens / Green Bay Packers / New York Yankees / Bayern Munich / Ajax Amsterdam / Glasgow Rangers

Damn that is a beautiful graphic Crosby, is it still up for sale anywhere? I remember right about the time you posted this on the boards I also stumbled across a design where someone imagined all of the Premier League stadiums as a map. I.e. Anfield was an open plain, White Hart Lane was a road, St. James Park was a park etc. Haven't been able to find it again since though...

Damn that is a beautiful graphic Crosby, is it still up for sale anywhere? I remember right about the time you posted this on the boards I also stumbled across a design where someone imagined all of the Premier League stadiums as a map. I.e. Anfield was an open plain, White Hart Lane was a road, St. James Park was a park etc. Haven't been able to find it again since though...

It is, if you click on the image it'll take you there.

If you find that stadium map I'd love to see it.

It really doesn't make much sense. It's not like it's a merchandising move. A team might rebrand to cash in on the fans, but nobody buys gear with league logos on it. Maybe they assume it'll drive team apparel sales from fans who feel they need shirts with the new patch. But most fans like that would buy new gear anyway since the clubs upgrade each year anyway.

I've become so cynical.

R.I.P. Cecil.

I have to agree with everyone else here. To me, the lion logo on it's own represents the Premier League enough that you don't need any text with it for people to instantly recognise what it is. It is pretty much the perfect symbol and is a great modernisation of the original logo below. What are they going to change it to? A bunch of £££ symbols?

FA_Premier_League.png

It no make sense at all, like Cesarano said use clean version of logo, use it as a sleeve badge, recolor it to gold for champ and call it a day or if you really need to do a rebrand, kept the Lion in his place.

I'm guessing you probably already know this but for anybody who doesn't, the champions do already wear a gold version of the sleeve patch like so:

sleeve-patch.jpg

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

It's a shame, I rather like the lion.

If they're doing away with lion-related stuff I wonder if we'll see a modification of the Premier League trophy, having as it does a pair of the beasts atop its handles.

Archived