NFL Fields - 2023 Wild Card Playoffs

pitt6pack

1 hour ago, simtek34 said:

Falcons possibly teasing Throwback End Zones for tomorrow?

https://twitter.com/atlantafalcons/status/1199455155437154304?s=21

(Huh, weird. The tweet didn’t embed.)

Confirmed.

edit: sigh...that is most certainly not what i wanted to link to. I don't even know how that happened.

Here's the real link:

• Like 2

image-2023-06-05-005249976.png

Finally got around to the Falcons field from Thanksgiving, and was also able to do the Dolphins field from this weekend (very similar to their throwback field from last year)

Falcons

ATL_2019%5E2.png

Dolphins

MIA_2019%5E4.png

I gotta say, these throwback field designs are one of the best trends sparking up in the NFL right now.

• Like 8

Really what I am noticing is there is a helmet paint template somewhere inside Hard Rock Stadium. The helmet Super Bowl Fields aren't my favorite because the secondary colors get used....but it's 100x better than what they have used the last couple of years. Although I guess last years field had one helmet on it. 

iq5b7nF.png

18 hours ago, Silence of the Rams said:

Isn't Miami hosting the super bowl this year.

Could this mean a return

From what I remember from last years Super Bowl, the NFL has its own crew, that does the Super Bowl each year. The home crew helps out, but the NFL is in charge of the design decisions, to a certain extent. When it comes to the endzones, they do allow the teams playing to approve the final endzone designs. Last year the Rams wanted to go with the helmet and gold text to match their uniforms, but the overall endzone layout, of a logo and wordmark was all that was going to be in the endzone (along with a ton of empty space).

22 hours ago, jc... said:

Really what I am noticing is there is a helmet paint template somewhere inside Hard Rock Stadium. The helmet Super Bowl Fields aren't my favorite because the secondary colors get used....but it's 100x better than what they have used the last couple of years. Although I guess last years field had one helmet on it. 

This year, many of the front runner teams have helmets contrasting their primary color, which could help the cause:

AFC:

Baltimore (Purple) - Black helmet

New England (Navy) - Silver helmet

Houston (Navy) - Navy helmet , so red endzone to contrast

Chiefs (Red) - Red helmet, so gold endzone to contrast (what they've done in both Super Bowl appearances)

Bills (Blue) - White helmet

Steelers (Gold) - Black helmet

NFC:

Saints (Gold) - Black helmet

Seahawks (Navy) - Navy helmet , so silver endzone

Packers (Green) - Gold helmet

Cowboys (Navy) - Silver helmet

49ers (Red) - Gold helmet

Vikings (Purple) - Purple helmet , so gold endzone (which they've done in 3 Super Bowls)

The Texans and Vikings would probably be the most out of place. The Seahawks for a time did use silver endzones on their home field, but they would not match their current look well. The Chiefs went with a gold endzone earlier this year, so that wouldn't seem too off. 

• Like 2

A couple of Los Angeles teams, to get me caught up on all the 2019 fields

NFL International Series Mexico 2019

Chiefs vs Chargers

INT_2019%5E5.png

I'm hoping to see more well painted fields from Mexico in the future. Not sure which teams will be next in line for playing international games as the home teams, since most teams with stadium troubles will have new stadiums by next year. The Jaguars already give up a home game to London. I believe the Chiefs will not have the oldest stadium in the league without any major renovations. The Chargers may still be a good candidate, since they have few fans in LA.

LA Rams Week 14

LAR_2019%5E4.png

The Rams came out with a new look. I think this is a product of new turf, and not being able to paint the entire endzones, or just not wanting to. I'm more of a fan of the fully painted endzones, but this isn't too bad.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 9:43 PM, scraw28 said:

The 1994 field is when the converted to grass the same field design at the previous but also with the 75th season logo on the 30 yard lines each side's 

In 1973, Arrowhead's second year of service, they added those little arrows by the numeric yard markers to indicate the closer goal line; early on, they resembled little Indian arrowheads, and were marked in either yellow or red. :)

• Like 1

UBwef0L.png

10 hours ago, johnnysama said:

In 1973, Arrowhead's second year of service, they added those little arrows by the numeric yard markers to indicate the closer goal line; early on, they resembled little Indian arrowheads, and were marked in either yellow or red. :)

They actually may have had them in 1972, at least by my research.

KC_1972%5E1.png

The first team with the directional arrows. The grounds crew at Arrow Head was also in charge of the Super Bowls for years, and in Super Bowl XII (1977 season) the same style of directional arrows made it on the Super Bowl field for the first time:

12.png

Directional arrows were required by rule the following season, in 1978.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pitt6pack said:

They actually may have had them in 1972, at least by my research.

KC_1972%5E1.png

The first team with the directional arrows. The grounds crew at Arrow Head was also in charge of the Super Bowls for years, and in Super Bowl XII (1977 season) the same style of directional arrows made it on the Super Bowl field for the first time:

12.png

Directional arrows were required by rule the following season, in 1978.

Some of the arrows @ Arrowhead stadium were colored yellow, I should mention. Today, the arrows on the yard markers are purely triangular shaped.

UBwef0L.png

11 hours ago, johnnysama said:

Some of the arrows @ Arrowhead stadium were colored yellow, I should mention. Today, the arrows on the yard markers are purely triangular shaped.

Do you have some references? I'll have to make some updates

13 hours ago, pitt6pack said:

Do you have some references? I'll have to make some updates

He's right.  Arrowhead did not have the direction markers on the field until 1973.  Actually that was the first year for anyone to have them and I read they were mandatory by 1978.  Anyways, here's some photos from '72 with the Chiefs against the Dolphins and their home finale against Baltimore:

fC8C5VM.png

iO89tp2.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, johnnysama said:

^

I don't know whether it's a case of the Mandela effect, but the directional arrows were all red! However, the top and bottom hashmarks alternated between red and yellow, as you can see in this video. XD

Maybe there was a different game where they alternated yellow and red on the arrows. I haven't seen anything to suggest that at this point though, so I'll stick with my current field for '73.

13 hours ago, cjpowerbomb said:

He's right.  Arrowhead did not have the direction markers on the field until 1973.  Actually that was the first year for anyone to have them and I read they were mandatory by 1978.  Anyways, here's some photos from '72 with the Chiefs against the Dolphins and their home finale against Baltimore:

fC8C5VM.png

iO89tp2.png

Thanks for the references. I'll have to update the '72 field then. Should be an easy update.

• Like 1

That Dolphins orange endzone is sick! I am not sure if I like that one or their diamond patterned one more. Too bad they had to beat my Eagles on that day. SMFH.

pitt,

What endzone matchup do you think would look best with the current (almost) playoff teams? And you have to chose based on the craptastic, awful, horrendous endzones that the NFL has used over the past 6 years or so. Them and their stupid Creative Marketing Department. Ugghhhhhhh.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2019 at 4:10 PM, RayFinkle said:

That Dolphins orange endzone is sick! I am not sure if I like that one or their diamond patterned one more. Too bad they had to beat my Eagles on that day. SMFH.

pitt,

What endzone matchup do you think would look best with the current (almost) playoff teams? And you have to chose based on the craptastic, awful, horrendous endzones that the NFL has used over the past 6 years or so. Them and their stupid Creative Marketing Department. Ugghhhhhhh.

Good question. First off, I'd have to eliminate teams who are primarily Navy blue with a mainly white wordmark (we've seen it so many times, and it's worn out at this point). So Seattle would be out, and Dallas (if they make it) would be out. The Bills blue is a bit nicer, and would look good on grass, but they'd have to get paired up with the 49ers to really look good on a Super Bowl field. If the Titans (if they make the playoffs, which I think they have a good shot), go with a Navy endzone, I don't think they'd match up well with anyone. On the other-hand, if they went Columbia blue, as they did in Super Bowl XXXIV, then that would be a good look, but I don't think that would be the best look we could get.

As for the rest, let's walk through the colors:

Confirmed playoff teams:

Baltimore - Purple

New England - Navy

Kansas City - Red

Buffalo - Blue

Seattle - Navy

Green Bay - Green

New Orleans - Gold

San Francisco - Red

Possible playoff teams:

Houston - Navy

Pittsburgh - Athletic gold

Tennessee - Likely Navy

Dallas - Navy

Philadelphia - Midnight Green

Minnesota - Purple

Of course, as a biased Steelers fan, I think athletic gold goes great against any endzone color, except athletic gold.But I think my personal favorite endzone matchup would be purple vs red. We've seen this with Ravens vs 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII and it was a great endzone matchup. If the 49ers would use their throwback wordmark, as they have been the past two seasons for home games, that would be the best case scenario. A 49ers Ravens matchup is one of the more likely scenarios for this season as well. Chiefs-Vikings would also look good, using both red and purple, but the wordmarks themselves I don't think are as good as Ravens-49ers. 

If Green Bay, or New Orleans were in the Super Bowl, I think they would match up well with other teams. Green Bay would be better against lighter colored endzone team, like Kansas City. New Orleans I think would match up well against a darker endzone, like Baltimore. A purple vs purple endzone matchup, or a red vs red endzone matchup would be a first (we've seen red vs orange 4 times, which is kind of close). Those would be interesting matchups, but I prefer contrasting endzones better.

For now, I'm going with Baltimore vs San Francisco as best endzone matchup (especially if the 49ers use their classic wordmark).

Usually, once the season ends, I create the endzones for each team for the Super Bowl Field Database thread, so it'll be easier to make choices when there are actual endzones designs to compare.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...