NFL Fields - 2023 Wild Card Playoffs

pitt6pack

Chiefs field from this weekend. Interesting to see what they'll do for the playoffs. My guess is back to their normal field style.

KC_2019%5E3.png

I'm going to need some more time for the Rams field (anyone know where I can find that midfield logo in digital form?)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RayFinkle said:

That Rams endzone is a thing of beauty!!

I wonder if the 6 gold diamonds mean anything. Like why 6? Why not do the entire endzones middle diamonds gold? 

It could be the style of an old field design they had when the Rams moved to the Coliseum originally in 1946. The Rams used to have big white diamonds, but I don't know about any smaller diamonds. I'll do some digging and see what I can find on some of their older fields. 

On 12/31/2019 at 4:52 PM, RayFinkle said:

That Rams endzone is a thing of beauty!!

I wonder if the 6 gold diamonds mean anything. Like why 6? Why not do the entire endzones middle diamonds gold? 

Okay, after some research, the endzone design was inspired by the 1951 NFL Championship game.

1951-nfl-championship-game-RAMSFG.jpg

From what I can tell, the '51 Championship game endzones were not painted blue, but a color photo, if one exists, would be nice to see. Either way, the '51 Championship game field is one I'll have to get around to doing in the near future.

• Like 1

Here are the Rams week 17 field, and the 1951 NFL Championship game next to each other:

LAR_2019%5E5.png

RAM_1951%5Echamp.png

The big difference is the colors in the endzones. In 1951, the Rams used chalk to line the field, and fill the endzones. As far as I can tell (unless I can get a color photo, or a news paper reference) the diamonds were white (I determined this by comparing the gold of the Rams uniforms to the chalk color in the diamonds in black and white images). The chalk lines in the endzone in 1951 were thinner than the paint lines in 2019. Only other minor differences are the diamond heights. The endzone in 1951 would have had 4 more inches of room at the front, becuase the goal line was 4 inches thick, as opposed to 8 inches today. Plus, in the 1951 game, the chalk went all the way to the borders of the endzones, where as in week 17, the white paint did not touch the white of the endzone boundaries (to avoid having white inbounds paint from touching white out of bounds paint).

I've been wondering what would happen with the NFL 100 logo, now that the playoffs logos are going on the fields (or if the playoff logos would be modified somehow).

Here's a recent shot from Houston:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRA_H7wYirl6f9IT9JdrkH

So we know regular playoff logos are going on the fields. It'll be interesting to see if the NFL 100 logos will also be on the fields. Possibly two playoff logos, and two NFL 100 logos, all on the 25 yard lines. Maybe no NFL 100 logos at all? (Which I think would be odd). 

Anyways, if anyone knows some good sources of pictures for this weekends playoffs fields, that'd be great, and I'll get started on putting those fields together.

EDIT:

A better picture in Houston, but it looks like there is tarp covering the other side of the field where the NFL 100 logo would go.

ENcl0AaX0AIYksG.jpg

EDIT:

Here's New England. Again, the image is not scaled out enough to see more than just the playoff logo

4fhKAIC.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, simtek34 said:

It's going to be a beautiful field; can't wait to see the finished result!

And if the 49ers do make it to the Super Bowl, I'm really hoping they use the old wordmark. It would make a huge difference in the look and feel of a Super Bowl endzone. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wackyriderfan14 said:

Chief going with yellow throwback end zones. 
Arrowhead Stadium posted on their twitter. 

(Made your Tweet embedded, your welcome)

Overhead view minus the Shadow.

• Like 4

da0Lbhs.png

43 minutes ago, Yac12 said:

SF_1981^conf Thumb

As much as I like the end zones from the 49ers game this weekend, I'd like to see San Francisco in one of the end zones like they did in 1981.

Yea those Candlestick fields where classic. I doubt they will go as far as painting the numbers and adding the extra fun stuff!

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

9 minutes ago, SFCOM1 said:

Yea those Candlestick fields where classic. I doubt they will go as far as painting the numbers and adding the extra fun stuff!

KC_1969^1 Thumb

Just like I would like the Chiefs to go this route for the AFC Championship game, but I doubt they will go this far.  At minimum I would love to see the arrowheads marking the kickoff location.