Sign in to follow this  
rams80

A Rams primer for new (and old) Los Angeles fans.

And I've always been a fan from in the market. Born and raised in St. Louis (and practically the TWA/Edward Jones Dome). Growing up, spending a lot of quality time with my dad and grandfather will be something that I'll always cherish, but, it'll be difficult to actively cheer for a team/organization that up and left in the middle of the night.

Honestly, I'll probably be bitter about it until football season starts up again. I've spent too much time and money, have too much Rams memorabilia, clothing, and whatnot, to really give up on 'em.

To be fair, this was far from a Baltimore Colts-esque "moving in the middle of the night" situation.

A few ESPN talking heads compared the situation to Cleveland leaving for Baltimore, but this is obviously different since the franchise will retain the Rams namesake. I became a Titans fan as a kid in part because of the intrigue of their stadium hopping in the late 90's. For someone indifferent towards the Rams, this will pique my interest over the next few years.

Do the Rams do what the Nets did when they moved to Brooklyn, blow up the future for a championship in the present? Hopefully with better results though.

They've been doing better at drafting under Fisher (I wouldn't say great, but they are at least up to the league average). Under previous coaches I was of the opinion that the team should take a "future is now" approach simply because they were so awful at identifying and developing college talent.

That said, if they think they can get the new O-line to gel, they probably aren't too far from the playoffs.

To be fair, this was far from a Baltimore Colts-esque "moving in the middle of the night" situation.

A few ESPN talking heads compared the situation to Cleveland leaving for Baltimore

Really? That's equally ludicrous. No offense to the city, but St. Louis never had the fanbase the Browns did. The Browns were in a far better situation than the Rams, with a public vote on the stadium renovations Modell wanted scheduled for the day after he announced the move. A vote they won, incidentally.

Anyone who would make that comparison betrays a shallow knowledge of the history. So yeah, an ESPN talking head.

Do the Rams do what the Nets did when they moved to Brooklyn, blow up the future for a championship in the present? Hopefully with better results though.

They've been doing better at drafting under Fisher (I wouldn't say great, but they are at least up to the league average). Under previous coaches I was of the opinion that the team should take a "future is now" approach simply because they were so awful at identifying and developing college talent.

That said, if they think they can get the new O-line to gel, they probably aren't too far from the playoffs.

Yeah. All Case Keenum needs to be successful is an o-line.

:suspect:

Kroenke runs the franchise, and Fisher coaches them. The Rams are going to be the same bad to mediocre bunch they've been the majority of their nearly 80 year existence in 3 cities. That stadium sure will be big, though.

Rams Suck!

That is all from a loyal Seahawk fan.

Kroenke runs the franchise, and Fisher coaches them. The Rams are going to be the same bad to mediocre bunch they've been the majority of their nearly 80 year existence in 3 cities. That stadium sure will be big, though.

It's always been my core belief that since Kroenke bought the team he's been intentionally running them into the ground but keeping their heads just above water enough so that at the beginning of every season there was a glimmer of hope for the playoffs, an "Are the Rams this year's sleeper?" type of mentality. All the while Kroenke sits high and mighty on his stack of dollar bills and the souls of obese Americans who collapsed at a variety of his wife's conveniently located Walmart stores the previous year and watches his team. Any hint of success, any slight hope of having a good season, and he pulls the rug out from under 'em while all 500 of us watch from the stands and mutter under our breaths "Maybe next year... If there is a next year."

I wonder if Rush Limbaugh's group would have moved the Rams. Remember when people were freaking out over his interest in buying the team.

Well, yeah, new QB was kind of the assumption, but no QB short of Tom Brady is going to work unless the Rams are confident the O-Line is capable of keeping the QB alive. And they were quite good in Los Angeles, Darth Fanaticus.

My general sense of the Fisher years in St. Louis is that the team has basically been in this performance limbo where they are competent enough that they could turn into a playoff team in one offseason, but don't want to lest St. Louis fans actually show up. Now that they are moving, I expect the stasis to end.

I wonder if Rush Limbaugh's group would have moved the Rams. Remember when people were freaking out over his interest in buying the team.

Limbaugh may not have moved the team (assuming his group was sufficiently capitalized) but the team likely would have struggled to get and retain free agents and the collapse of Limbaugh's radio empire over the last few years probably would have prompted a sale.

Limbaugh may not have moved the team (assuming his group was sufficiently capitalized) but the team likely would have struggled to get and retain free agents and the collapse of Limbaugh's radio empire over the last few years probably would have prompted a sale.

It's really a fairly irrelevant curiosity anyways. Limbaugh was considering buying the team during the same period in which Shad Khan formally had an agreement to buy the team. Kroenke exercised his right of first refusal at the last minute to block Khan, and he would have done the same thing to Kroenke.

Khan—despite some not overly enthusiastic comments about St. Louis the last day or two—would have almost certainly committed to making it work in St. Louis. The lease and Kroenke were the perfect store of bad to ensure their exit out of town.

Well, yeah, new QB was kind of the assumption, but no QB short of Tom Brady is going to work unless the Rams are confident the O-Line is capable of keeping the QB alive. And they were quite good in Los Angeles, Darth Fanaticus.

My general sense of the Fisher years in St. Louis is that the team has basically been in this performance limbo where they are competent enough that they could turn into a playoff team in one offseason, but don't want to lest St. Louis fans actually show up. Now that they are moving, I expect the stasis to end.

Maybe, but I think this gives Kroenke too much credit and almost requires Fisher/Snead of being complicit.

Kroenke spent money on the football operations, so it's not like he was pulling the budget strings tight to prevent talent acquisition. And I don't see Fisher or Snead taking orders to only strive for mediocrity.

When you look at Kroenke's other sports franchises, I think the most likely explanation is just that he's not very good at the sports side of running a sports organization, and he also doesn't care that he's not very good at it.

I have no doubt he'll be encouraged to do more where it's possible early on in LA in order to give them a winner as soon as possible. But I kind of don't think it matters because he sucks at sports decision making.

Mark Davis was almost certainly one of them. I've heard Mike Brown and Stephen Ross mentioned as the other.

I would think that the part of the deal the Raiders got (whatever amount of money, the option to move if the Chargers don't, etc.) would have been in exchange for a "Yes for Rams relocation" vote. Usually the Raiders' MO has been to abstain. But instead, they picked a side of the fence...which has me to believe they voted in favor.

I'd also think the Chargers voted yes, seeing as how they struck a similar deal.

It was pretty interesting that Inglewood lost the Committee's recommendation vote 5-1 but wound up winning the relocation vote 30-2. At least three of those on the committee voted opposite of their recommendation.

Maybe, but I think this gives Kroenke too much credit and almost requires Fisher/Snead of being complicit.

Kroenke spent money on the football operations, so it's not like he was pulling the budget strings tight to prevent talent acquisition. And I don't see Fisher or Snead taking orders to only strive for mediocrity.

When you look at Kroenke's other sports franchises, I think the most likely explanation is just that he's not very good at the sports side of running a sports organization, and he also doesn't care that he's not very good at it.

I have no doubt he'll be encouraged to do more where it's possible early on in LA in order to give them a winner as soon as possible. But I kind of don't think it matters because he sucks at sports decision making.

Guaranteed employment is guaranteed employment. You can agree to do a lot if you make as much as those two do with no threat of termination.

I know "LOL the Denver teams" has recently become something of a grasping-at-the-straws meme among St. Louis fans, but the Nuggets have made the playoffs 10 out of the 15 years Kroenke has owned them (despite playing in the Western Conference) and the Avalanche have made the playoffs 9 out of 14. So he doesn't automatically field terrible teams either.

The Avs seemed like they were run out of a stockroom for a few years there between the lockout and bringing back Sakic/Roy. I think they were a team that was known for skimping on scouts, creature comforts, stuff like that. I guess it's probably better now.

Bumping my own query, & chasing it with another, from one of the other Rams threads...

Wonder if Rog will give Giants @ Rams to Los Angeles '16, moving it out of London. Can't see why they couldn't, or wouldn't, for tv purposes.

Guaranteed employment is guaranteed employment. You can agree to do a lot if you make as much as those two do with no threat of termination.

I know "LOL the Denver teams" has recently become something of a grasping-at-the-straws meme among St. Louis fans, but the Nuggets have made the playoffs 10 out of the 15 years Kroenke has owned them (despite playing in the Western Conference) and the Avalanche have made the playoffs 9 out of 14. So he doesn't automatically field terrible teams either.

Eight teams in per conference (16 total) make the playoffs in those leagues.

Kroenke bought a Cup ready team in the Avalanche, and indeed won one that first year. They made it to the conference finals the following year. Since then, the Avs haven't been past the 2nd round and have often missed the playoffs altogether.

The Nuggets have been past the first round just once. They lost in the conference finals.

His teams aren't all hot garbage, but they sure don't win.

There's something hilariously ironic about a Blues fan dissing on another team's inability to get past the first round.

There's something hilariously ironic about a Blues fan dissing on another team's inability to get past the first round.

IF YOUR TEAM ISN'T GOOD AT SOMETHING YOU CAN'T RATIONALLY AND ACCURATELY COMMENT ABOUT HOW ANOTHER TEAM ISN'T GOOD AT SOMETHING.

#dumbsportsrules

If I was making fun of them, then it would be sensible to bring up the Blues.

As I was simply discussing the franchise's results under their current ownership, the Blues are completely irrelevant.

Kroenke bought a Cup ready team in the Avalanche, and indeed won one that first year. They made it to the conference finals the following year. Since then, the Avs haven't been past the 2nd round and have often missed the playoffs altogether.

His teams aren't all hot garbage, but they sure don't win.

Ray Bourque and the 2000-01 Avs say hello.

ray-bourque-stanley-cup-2001.jpg