Teams with Mascots that Don't Match Their Nicknames

ForwardProgress

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Reds lead the majors in mascots every year.

731e9979219f1f682fde4ef79639714a.jpg

I guess a family of baseball heads fits in with the sport so that's okay, but Gapper (named for the gap in the grandstands where he lives) is the most pointless mascot in sports. I guess the team wanted something more huggable for the kids?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Jazz Bear is another one:

813032.jpg

That really reminds me of this --

teen-wolf.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I guess a family of baseball heads fits in with the sport so that's okay, but Gapper (named for the gap in the grandstands where he lives) is the most pointless mascot in sports. I guess the team wanted something more huggable for the kids?

Please add Lil Red to that list. No reason he's needed. At all. Herbie Husker is more than sufficient and still child friendly.

NebraskaCornhuskers-LilRed-brucethorson.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

In the CFL, the Saskatchewan Roughriders mascot, Gainer the Gopher, has only a small connection to the team name. The same can be said of the Edmonton Eskimos' Punter (but not his brother, Nanook, which is an Eskimo name), the Calgary Stampeders (Ralph the Dog), and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers mascots don't quite have any connection to their team name.

UBwef0L.png

New York Yankees (snoopy, not sure if still in use)

Wait, what? Snoopy is only there when they have MetLife sponsoring a giveaway or one of their player of the month awards. The only mascot that they've had was Dandy. But they killed him because mascots are awesome and that team hates fun.

NY-AH055_MASCOT_DV_20100614211638.jpg

Wait, what? Snoopy is only there when they have MetLife sponsoring a giveaway or one of their player of the month awards. The only mascot that they've had was Dandy. But they killed him because mascots are awesome and that team hates fun.

Actually, I think it's because furry peanuts taste wierd.

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

d3e4fd235f68da1f08eefc09d7a65c8a.jpg

Indiana State University Sycamores: Their Primary mascot is "Sycamore Sam"...which is an animal of combined origins (features of his appearance are made up of local prevalent wildlife).

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Please add Lil Red to that list. No reason he's needed. At all. Herbie Husker is more than sufficient and still child friendly.

Mr. Red has, at various times in my life, given me the creeps. For example, the 1973 version was quite frightening to a young child...

CWoCyMSU4AAT8VN.jpg

...and the Friday the 13th Jason version from the mid 00s was also creepy...

PICT0011.jpg

Thanks for giving me a weak excuse to post this video

EDIT: Speaking of Mascots that don't match, WTF is that thing in the background wearing a Hurricanes Jersey?

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

Thanks for giving me a weak excuse to post this video

EDIT: Speaking of Mascots that don't match, WTF is that thing in the background wearing a Hurricanes Jersey?

That's Stormy, the Ice Hog, who is the team's mascot. Fits this thread as well.

UBwef0L.png

That may be the coolest mascot I've ever seen

Archived