Teams with Mascots that Don't Match Their Nicknames

ForwardProgress

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How'd we get to four pages without mentioning the Colorado Rockies have a triceratops as a mascot?

There's a reason for it, and it'd be pretty hard to have an actual mountain as a mascot but yea this one definitely fits the thread.

They found a triceratops skull when they were building Coors Field. Hence they have a purple dinosaur not named Barney that spins his head around and exists only to distract fans from the disarray of the franchise.

How'd we get to four pages without mentioning the Colorado Rockies have a triceratops as a mascot?

There's a reason for it, and it'd be pretty hard to have an actual mountain as a mascot but yea this one definitely fits the thread.

They found a triceratops skull when they were building Coors Field. Hence they have a purple dinosaur not named Barney that spins his head around and exists only to distract fans from the disarray of the franchise.

Story for another day but I'm a diehard Marlins fan... whenever I think we've got it bad I remember the Rockies. I can't imagine what a fan of that team goes through.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2016 at 1:42 PM, chcarlson23 said:

The Florida Panthers have a rat mascot, for the tradition of throwing rats on the ice in Florida, alongside their Panther mascot. I think that the Rat should be the Main Mascot, because the Panther's name is Stanley C. Panther, or Stanley Cup Panther... which the team has not won before... And unless it changes in the next couple of years, it's a ridiculous name...

What?  What?!  They do... what?!?!  I mean... I guess octopus doesn't make too much more sense, but... seriously?  That's a thing?

On 1/16/2016 at 4:24 PM, SJAnfield said:

That may be the coolest mascot I've ever seen

I'm sorry...  I thought I had something crazy in my ear.

If the Yankees ever have a mascot, it should be a squirrel named Scooter.

Back on topic, when I heard someone say "Fat Elmo", I was thinking of the Xavier Musketeers' mascot:

031414-SW-Gallery-Xavier-Musketeers-Masc

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 1/15/2016 at 8:24 PM, neo_prankster said:

North Carolina Tar Heels with a ram

Though not necessarily North Carolina's reason for using the name; A Tar Heel is a nickname for mountain dwelling sheep. Since they can run up and down near-vertical cliffs, as if they have something sticky on their feet, they are dubbed Tar Heels.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

The Colorado Rapids have 4 mascots that have nothing to do with Rapids. 

2014 Mascots Group.jpg

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Mascots are supposed to basically appeal to kids, so if you're the Cubs, then Clark the Cub, who is a big bear, makes some sense.If your team is something more esoteric like the Jazz or the Lightning, you're not going to be literal. Should Utah have a beatnik with a beret and a soul patch? Or even a Dixieland gent with a moustachio and a top hat?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

5 hours ago, tommytimp said:

Mascots are supposed to basically appeal to kids, so if you're the Cubs, then Clark the Cub, who is a big bear, makes some sense.If your team is something more esoteric like the Jazz or the Lightning, you're not going to be literal. Should Utah have a beatnik with a beret and a soul patch? Or even a Dixieland gent with a moustachio and a top hat?

I... kinda really want to see a literal Jazz mascot now.

Well, if none of your ideas pan out...

spacer.png

spacer.png

On February 1, 2016 at 4:28 PM, rickyISking said:

Admiral Ackbar would've made such a better mascot.

Yeah, I don't mind the Black Bear at all, but I definitely wanted Admiral Ackbar. He'd have instantly been one of the best mascots in the NCAA.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived