NBA D-League Courts (8/20) Greensboro Swarm Posted

SmackNCheese

I'm doing a small series of NBA D-League court concepts and would appreciate some feedback. The basic rules of the concept are that I can only use the color pallete from the half-court  logo for any of the paint, the lines have to be a separate color from any paint, no sponsors should be featured, and the baseline text should read the team's location (with one exception, you'll see why later). I'm going in alphabetical order of the team name so to start us off, here's the Austin Spurs. C&C appreciated.

Austin Spurs:

Md4U04j.png

With the Spurs I wanted to create a simple look, which the color palette lends itself to, but also give sort of a rustic feel which I tried to accomplish with the faded wood and spurs superimposed onto the playing surface. Again, the baseline font is kept simple to complete the look.

Well, I didn't get any feedback on the last one but I'm still chugging along. Next up: the Bakersfield Jam:

Bakersfield Jam:

1MDy5LC.png

This is another court on the simple side (don't worry, there are some gaudy ones coming *cough* D-Fenders *cough*). I really like the color scheme here and wanted to bring that to the forefront, , so the design is kept simple with a light colored hardwood surface and a giant-sized mid-court logo. I experimented with Black lines but they kind of cluttered the look so I stuck to white. C&C appreciated.

Alright guys, it's time for another court. I will say in advance that this is my least favorite of the designs. Canton just doesn't give you a lot to work with. Anyways, here's the Canton Charge:

Canton Charge

hZKMGjZ.png

Not a lot to say here. I tried to spice it up a little bit with "glowing" baseline letters but it still seems to be missing something, and for the life of me, I can't tell what it is. C&C greatly appreciated.

(If it makes you guys feel any better, this is pretty much the last of the "boring" courts imo)

Well, I'm on to the next one. This was the first court I made in this series and it's definitely one of my favorites. Here's the Delaware 87ers.

Delaware 87ers:

5gEqSjV.png

I like how clean and classic the 87ers primary (76ers old logo) looks, so i tried to recreate that in the way i designed the court. The half court logo is just a mite larger than normal, and I tried to give it a nice modern feel without it looking too cluttered by adding a lighter-colored ring of stars as featured in the logo. The area inside the three point stripe features the same lighter-finished wood. C&C?

Any comments on how to make this series more interesting/appealing?

I'm still alive! I had a few bball games over the past few days so I haven't really had time to do this. Anyway, 

On January 20, 2016 at 8:26 PM, XenonDesigns said:

I'd like to see some more graphics on the court like alternate logos and arena logs etc.

On January 20, 2016 at 9:15 PM, Broncoboy7 said:

Honestly all I can say is that just add more details. Like Xenon said arena logos, alternates on the corners, etc. Other than that, it's good.

Yeah I thought about that but I think a lot of arena logos cold be considered sponsor logos so I stayed on the safe side and left them out. As for alt logos inside the 3 point line and such, I don't really like the way they look and if it were up to me, they wouldn't be allowed, so that's one reason, as well as the fact that many of these teams only have one usable court logo, due to other logos being oddly shaped, wordmarks, etc.

Next up in the series, the Erie Bayhawks.

Erie Bayhwaks:

EaHlvbl.png

Erie has a quirky logo which I kinda like, so I displayed it pretty big at half court, Inside the three point line is tinted Erie Gold (I don't know if that's the actual color, but whatever), and the top of the key is scarlet. I wanted to focus attention to the logo, so i used generic-colored broad panels for the woodwork (and I just like broad-paneled floors). C&C Appreciated.

21 hours ago, Broncoboy7 said:

Ok I understand why you see it as a sponsor thing, but it still gives the court an identity. I'd say try it once, publish it, and see what we think.

19 hours ago, Jake3.roo said:

No circle in the middle? NBA courts have it. Now that I think about it, I think all courts do.

Okay I attempted to remedy both problems with this next court. The half court circle is supposed to be there on every court, I just think it's better for presentation's sake to have people just assume it's there. But anyways, I added a see-able circle at half court and  arena logos for the next team, the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. Please provide C&C on this new style (whether i should continue on with arena logos/mid-court circle) as well as the concept itself. Thanks!

Fort Wayne Mad Ants:

5Hjcsoi.png

This is on of my favorite designs. The mad ant logo is unique and the color black goes really well with the red and yellow. The surface is pattern-cut oak made to resemble anthills and the jagged edges to evoke a sense of fury (how's my NikeSpeak?). The baseline text is kept simple because the floor draws a lot of attention already. C&C plox.

Wow it's been a while since I posted on this. I just haven't had a lot of time on my hands recently, but I have enough tonight to post another concept. I decided to go with a more detailed court after positive feedback from the last one.

Grand Rapids Drive:

1BIHt5l.png

There isn't a lot to say, as this court is pretty forthwith, as is the logo. The mid-court logo is gargantuan and a big "GR" secondary logo is superimposed onto the floor, which is why the arena logos are on the baseline. The out of bounds line is outlined in red to mimic the logo. C&C appreciated!

Back again! This next concept is one that takes a little bit of looking at. It is the first of the really "gaudy" courts in this series, but I feel it gets the job done here.

Greensboro Swarm:

BtxxYNW.png

Where do I start? The baseline is covered in a honeycomb pattern that carries onto the court in the form of a darker finish on the wood floor. The floor itself is made of a mix of different woods blended together to create a really clean feel underneath (there's enough going on already). The arena logo is inside of the three point line because it feels like it was made precisely for this team (probably because it was). The team's alternate logo balances out the interior. Overall, it looks very busy, which under normal circumstances wouldn't be a good thing. But because the team is named the Swarm, this court does well to create a feel of constant motion and energy as your eyes are constantly being carried from one feature to another. C&C Appreciated.

Archived