Why does several NFL teams choose not to wear their logo on team jersey?

Almighty

and without logos on a jersey it´s fairly hard to tell which team jersey you are wearing

Well, you shouldn't be wearing a jersey if you're not at the game (or at all as a grown man), but that's an argument (or two) for another day.

I will rep my teams every single day no matter what.

zyyMk1d.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and without logos on a jersey it´s fairly hard to tell which team jersey you are wearing

Well, you shouldn't be wearing a jersey if you're not at the game (or at all as a grown man), but that's an argument (or two) for another day.

That's an awful opinion and the fact you post on this forum just completely invalidates it.

bSLCtu2.png

I think it's partly to kill redundancy. Save a few teams, every team has their logo on their helmet twice. Do they really need two more of the same logo on the sleeves? That's why I like teams who use their secondary logo on the sleeves.

Exactly. Teams don't need matching helmet logos and sleeve logos to be recognizable. Too me, that would be almost as bad as a hockey team using the same logo on their chest and on their sleeves.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Simply does not understand this practice, a team like the Raiders or Redskins with their great logos, elect to wear a jersey without a logo. Surely it only adds to the looks of a jersey if the logo is displayed on the sleeves, like the Patriots have.

That Raiders jersey and many others are nothing but a plain jersey with huge numbers everywhere, and then a little NFL shield, not something many fans would pay a fortune for, if we are talking authentic jerseys here. A fully embroidered logo would surely get more fans to buy a jersey, and it would look alot nicer on the field.

Anyone know why some teams do have a logo on their jersey and others elect not to ?

Tradition.

life-14-nfl-quarterbacks-1961-color.jpg?

Very few NFL teams had logos on their jerseys before the 1990s. Logo-less jerseys are seen as traditional. Some teams favor "traditional" looks.

Jerseys look fine without (or with) logos - you already have (in 31 of 32 instances) a logo on the helmet, and many teams also have logos on their pants. Not everything has to have a logo.

I'd never considered how "radical" those Cowboys jerseys were for their time until seeing this. Cool photo.

Jerseys look fine without (or with) logos - you already have (in 31 of 32 instances) a logo on the helmet,

Actually, only 28 teams have their logos on their helmets

He said A logo, not primary logo. Whatever the Eagles Rams Vikings Bengals and even seahawks have on their helmet is a logo even if it's not their primary mark. Besides in that respect you can also argue the Chiefs and Ravens only have 1/2 a helmet too because the other side are alternate versions of their primary.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

That's an awful opinion and the fact you post on this forum just completely invalidates it.

Wore jerseys every single day when I was in high school, which is when my infatuation with logos and uniforms began. But I feel that it's no longer appropriate to do so as a mature adult, and - quite frankly - it looks trashy on most overweight men that do. Posting here does not require me to wear the actual on-field/on-court stuff that I'm interested in, and I still rep my teams every day with a ball cap or stickers on my car or tshirts/jackets. You can obviously do as you all please, but this is simply my opinion. But to say that my opinion is invalid because it's my personal preference not to wear a jersey is similar to saying that you can't judge a logo because you're not a graphic designer.

Yeah, i know about the helmet part, but fans never wear a helmet, and without logos on a jersey it fairly hard to tell which team jersey you are wearing, i feel you are not repping your team enough without that logo.

Imagine how few MLB and NHL jerseys there would be sold if team logos were removed from them !

This is a silly argument.

The focal point on the front of a baseball jersey is the script or logo, the focal point on the front of a hockey jersey is the crest. They (usually) don't have GIANT NUMBERS on the front of them. The focal point on the front of a football jersey is the number.

Raiders, Redskins, Chiefs, Packers, etc. don't need a logo on the jersey to accurately convey the fact that it's that team's jersey.

Speaking about those giant front numbers, are they really still necessary, are sleeve and back numbers not enough, there are more refs in football than any other sport. Why not replace them with a team crest like in hockey, would look pretty damn good imo, that Raiders jersey would be amazing !

But to say that my opinion is invalid because it's my personal preference not to wear a jersey is similar to saying that you can't judge a logo because you're not a graphic designer.

Could the problem maybe be that you took your personal preference and literally told everyone on this forum they should comply with it?

Yeah, that's a fairly reasonable response from AndrewMLind after his unpopular opinion got trashed pretty fast.

You do you. I know some people feel very strongly about an "age limit." My jersey rules have evolved the older I get... but I still wear them.

Everyone agrees you're never too old for a baseball cap, right? :)

If senior citizens can sit at a college basketball game and cheer on random 5 guys they never heard of , just because they attended that college 40 years ago, then sure as hell you can wear a hockey or football jersey till the day you die, being a fan of a team or sport (and showing it to everyone) has no age limit.

But to say that my opinion is invalid because it's my personal preference not to wear a jersey is similar to saying that you can't judge a logo because you're not a graphic designer.

Could the problem maybe be that you took your personal preference and literally told everyone on this forum they should comply with it?

Really? All he said was "you shouldn't..." that's just how people state their opinions

I personally like having the team wordmark below the NFL shield in the front, but not oversized like the Cleveland Browns now have. To me theirs just looks utterly ridiculous.

As far as the team logo goes, I had a mixed reaction to it in 2011 when the Bills put the logo above the players names on the backside, but I've really come to like it.

The once short-sleeves on players uniforms has gotten so out of control that I wish the NFL would put a regulation on that. That is why so many teams such as Cleveland, Buffalo, Kansas City, and others had to move the TV numbers to the shoulders. There's just no longer room to have both stripes and numbers on the sleeves, and by having the numbers on the shoulders on some of the teams it makes the jersey look way too busy.

Wore jerseys every single day when I was in high school, which is when my infatuation with logos and uniforms began. But I feel that it's no longer appropriate to do so as a mature adult, and - quite frankly - it looks trashy on most overweight men that do. Posting here does not require me to wear the actual on-field/on-court stuff that I'm interested in, and I still rep my teams every day with a ball cap or stickers on my car or tshirts/jackets. You can obviously do as you all please, but this is simply my opinion. But to say that my opinion is invalid because it's my personal preference not to wear a jersey is similar to saying that you can't judge a logo because you're not a graphic designer.

Yeah I agree with this. I don't understand what goes through someone's mind when they're getting dressed to go grocery shopping and pull out a oversized polyester shirt with stitched in numbers on it and some logos. I liken it to playing dress up too. Just my personal opinion, but there comes a time when you stop wearing superhero underwear, and then eventually a time when you stop pretending you're on the team. I can understand why people wear jerseys to games, but I still think it looks silly and I choose not to. As for "repping your team", that's not really how "repping" works. If a team wanted you to "rep" them, they'd pay you to endorse them. This is quite the opposite. You're not "repping" - you're going out of your way to make sure that strangers know what football team you like. You're simply making a statement. Just playing with the words.

You're welcome to wear whatever you want - and I'm welcome to criticize you for your fashion sense and any other traits. 99.9% of the time I'll do so quietly to myself so as not to subject myself to the ridicule that comes along with an unpopular opinion (and because I'm focused more on what I'm wearing than what you're wearing). Here I've opened myself up to it... so fire away!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What is wrong with wearing a jersey on a normal day?
Nothing. If you have little kids and they make a mess on your jersey it just adds a bit of character if it doesn't come out. A polo or a dress shirt, it's ruined.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I personally like having the team wordmark below the NFL shield in the front, but not oversized like the Cleveland Browns now have. To me theirs just looks utterly ridiculous.

As far as the team logo goes, I had a mixed reaction to it in 2011 when the Bills put the logo above the players names on the backside, but I've really come to like it.

The once short-sleeves on players uniforms has gotten so out of control that I wish the NFL would put a regulation on that. That is why so many teams such as Cleveland, Buffalo, Kansas City, and others had to move the TV numbers to the shoulders. There's just no longer room to have both stripes and numbers on the sleeves, and by having the numbers on the shoulders on some of the teams it makes the jersey look way too busy.

The chiefs are a different situation.. Theirs were moved up because Nike is too lazy to use the rib-knit cuffs that carried the chiefs' striping pattern for so many years.. Nike forced a solid cuff onto the chiefs' jerseys, forcing them to recreate the cuff striping on the sleeve, thus pushing the numbers to the shoulders..

On that topic, I actually prefer shoulder numbers to sleeve numbers unless the shoulders are occupied with stripes (colts).. Sure, there are some classic looks that have retained sleeve stripes, and that's perfectly fine, but my preference has just always been shoulder stripes.. A jersey with nothing on the shoulders and numbers on the sleeves makes the shoulders look a bit empty.. That's a lot of real estate left uncovered.. Sleeves are smaller, so leaving them blank feels more acceptable, plus with cuff striping and various sleeve striping patterns, logos, etc, there are more options for sleeve designs than shoulder designs.. I've just always felt sleeves should typically get stripes and shoulders should get numbers

Yeah, i know about the helmet part, but fans never wear a helmet, and without logos on a jersey it fairly hard to tell which team jersey you are wearing, i feel you are not repping your team enough without that logo.

Imagine how few MLB and NHL jerseys there would be sold if team logos were removed from them !

The focal point on the front of a baseball jersey is the script or logo, the focal point on the front of a hockey jersey is the crest. They (usually) don't have GIANT NUMBERS on the front of them. The focal point on the front of a football jersey is the number.

Raiders, Redskins, Chiefs, Packers, etc. don't need a logo on the jersey to accurately convey the fact that it's that team's jersey.

Speaking about those giant front numbers, are they really still necessary, are sleeve and back numbers not enough, there are more refs in football than any other sport. Why not replace them with a team crest like in hockey, would look pretty damn good imo, that Raiders jersey would be amazing !

Judging by the amount of penalties called on "defense, number 68" when there isn't a #68 on the roster... probably?

As for the "jersey age" debate, I certainly wear fewer jerseys at 28 than I did at 18, but I'll wear what I damn well please, thanks - and don't give a :censored: what you think about it. I dress professionally for my job, screw trying to impress someone at the grocery store.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Judging by the amount of penalties called on "defense, number 68" when there isn't a #68 on the roster... probably?

As for the "jersey age" debate, I certainly wear fewer jerseys at 28 than I did at 18, but I'll wear what I damn well please, thanks - and don't give a :censored: what you think about it. I dress professionally for my job, screw trying to impress someone at the grocery store.

I go grocery shopping in basketball shorts and a tshirt. Why does this guy think everybody should dress in suits and ties all the time?

I go grocery shopping in basketball shorts and a tshirt. Why does this guy think everybody should dress in suits and ties all the time?
Like it's the roaring twenties again.

Archived