TrueNorth13

Onto my next set of 3: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and San Jose. This featured some throwback inspired logos, as well as a new logo for Philly.

For Philadelphia, I eliminated white, and added vintage white. I just love vintage white with some teams. The home is basically the winter classic uniform. The away is the same as the home. I created an alternate logo of the liberty bell, and created a vintage white alternate. I tried black, but the logo blended in too much. I also kept the nameplate style they use. I was going to take out the stupid rectangle, but it turns out that it looks much better with the rectangle behind the text. So I kept it.

For Pittsburgh, I took their current alternate, and used it as the home and created an away that matches with it. So I basically went retro with it. I also tried to clean up the penguin a little bit with the eye and the gloves. I wasn't very happy with the gloves, but I'm not sure how to fix it. With the alternate logo, I brought back robo penguin I think people called it. I was going to use horizontal stripes, but I've overused that concept, so I stayed pretty simple.

For San Jose, I brought back the retro colours and uniforms. People seem to love the new retro alternates this year, so I went with that. I changed the primary to the retro colours, and took away the broken stick, because I never really liked, so I took it out. The alternate is basically the current alternate (one of them) with the outline shape from the primary. I didn't think I would like the multiple shades of teal, but it looks pretty good. The striping on the alternate is based off of the outlines on the primary.

Philadelphia:

3TaXnQ5.png

Pittsburgh:

XPdYFw4.png

San Jose:

9vqayWz.png

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Philly: The vintage white actually works pretty well but I'm not really buying the vintage white alt. I personally don't like vintage white uniforms as light uniforms or alternates (I prefer it as just an accent color), but that's just me. 

Pittsburgh: Usually I hate when the home and alt are the same color, but it works great here. 

San Jose: Perfect. 

spacer.png

On 1/19/2016 at 4:09 PM, TrueNorth13 said:

I decided I would redesign the entire NHL, using new or modified logos with new or the same uniforms. With many teams, I'm using old logos with new colours, or a partial logo. Some people are going to be angry because I'm touching the "untouchable" teams. But if the Maple Leafs can change their look, I can make my own little changes. There may be some teams I don't change the logos, but I'm hoping to change everything up. I will probably post them in groups of 3. Any C&C is appreciated.

First up: Anaheim Ducks

DOJ8J61.png

Arizona Coyotes:

u0HmpSj.png

Boston Bruins:

csWGBD0.png

Not a huge fan of it yet, but there are some pleasing elements.  The yellow is too beige IMO, but perhaps it looked different on your program, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt there.  If you were going for gold, I think it needs to be a tad darker.  I like what you did with the spokes on the B.  It's an interesting idea.  Right now, I can't really see past the lack of sufficient contrast between the white and the yellow.  Bring it back to me when you fix that and perhaps my opinion will change but I can't endorse it yet.

On 2/24/2016 at 0:31 PM, TrueNorth13 said:

On to the next set: New York Islanders, New York Rangers, and Ottawa Senators.

For the Islanders, I changed the primary to the NY logo from the stadium series. I kept the same format for the home and away uniform because it just didn't need any changes. I created an alternate logo using an idea I had. And apparently everyone else has had as well. But I combined a lighthouse and an anchor. I was originally going to bring back the old lighthouse logo, but I went in a slightly more modern direction. The alternate uniform is a classic looking uniform. I added the white yoke because after an hour of working on it, the orange was hurting my eyes and I needed something to tone down the brightness. And I thought it looked good. Also keep in mind that I didn't do what many people are doing now by adding a Brooklyn alternate. I will never see them as Brooklyn's team, so I don't see any point in doing a Brooklyn alternate.

For the Rangers, I really changed things up. I changed the primary to the crest from their winter classic uniforms. I also added vintage white to the colour scheme instead of white. The alternate uniform is basically the winter classic uniform, but I kept the diagonal New York text, to stay with what the Rangers have done in their history. I did change things, but it wasn't too drastic and I think its for the best. Just a little modern update to an already great uniform.

For the Senators, I gave them a much needed redesign. The Senators might have the worst uniforms in the NHL, with the random stripes. It just looked horrible. So I went to their alternate logo that they never use. A modernization of their first logo. I also went back to the striping from their early days. For the alternate, I basically went with their heritage classic uniform, but I added the gold to the uniform. Nothing too crazy with that uniform.

New York Islanders:

oL5lp6C.png

New York Rangers

ZpSKpmM.png

Ottawa Senators:

lLxOTtJ.png

Appreciate the throwback sens, but the red should back darker imo

also, appreciate the idea of the liberty bell, but I think it would work better as a shoulder patch.  

@wquarton A couple things. All the colours I've used so far, are the official colours of each team, retro and current. On my computer, not just on the program, all the colours appear as they should. Take in mind that everything on a screen will always appear differently then on a real uniform. Especially with different lighting. Also, I don't plan on making changes for you to endorse them. I hope you don't take offence to this. But I'm not doing this series to have you or anyone else endorse, or really love it. I'm doing it for fun and for myself. And if people have suggestions that I think would look nice, I might change things. I hope you understand this. And I appreciate the comments. I might take some of them to consideration in changing some things later.

On 1/19/2016 at 4:09 PM, TrueNorth13 said:

A couple things. All the colours I've used so far, are the official colours of each team, retro and current. On my computer, not just on the program, all the colours appear as they should. Take in mind that everything on a screen will always appear differently then on a real uniform. Especially with different lighting. Also, I don't plan on making changes for you to endorse them. I hope you don't take offence to this. But I'm not doing this series to have you or anyone else endorse, or really love it. I'm doing it for fun and for myself. And if people have suggestions that I think would look nice, I might change things. I hope you understand this. And I appreciate the comments. I might take some of them to consideration in changing some things later.

hey all good dude.  Just saw C/C appreciated and thought i'd offer mine.  overall theres some really nice stuff here.  perhaps my use of the word endorse made it sound like I was :censored:ting on it.  Really wasn't meant to sound that way.  You did ask for C/C right?  Or did I misread?

12 minutes ago, wquarton said:
On January 19, 2016 at 6:09 PM, TrueNorth13 said:

A couple things. All the colours I've used so far, are the official colours of each team, retro and current. On my computer, not just on the program, all the colours appear as they should. Take in mind that everything on a screen will always appear differently then on a real uniform. Especially with different lighting. Also, I don't plan on making changes for you to endorse them. I hope you don't take offence to this. But I'm not doing this series to have you or anyone else endorse, or really love it. I'm doing it for fun and for myself. And if people have suggestions that I think would look nice, I might change things. I hope you understand this. And I appreciate the comments. I might take some of them to consideration in changing some things later.

hey all good dude.  Just saw C/C appreciated and thought i'd offer mine.  overall theres some really nice stuff here.  perhaps my use of the word endorse made it sound like I was :censored:ting on it.  Really wasn't meant to sound that way.  You did ask for C/C right?  Or did I misread?

I did ask for C&C. And you did leave some and I appreciate it. I tend to overreact to certain comments that I might have taken the wrong way. I do appreciate the comments. I just wish I had more. But overall, I'm really only making these for myself. I just like to get my concepts out in the world to see what others think of it. But I usually don't end up changing things unless I really like the idea. 

Onto the next set of 3: St. Louis, Tampa Bay, and Toronto.

With St. Louis, I wanted to go back to the classic Blues, but stay modern with the dark blue added in. For the alternate, I made an obvious choice and brought back the trumpet logo. And that logo as well as the script logo, I used ideas from another concept I saw, but I don't remember who's it was. So if it was yours, I'd credit you if I remembered your name. So feel free to let me know if it's yours.

With Tampa Bay, I added black back into the colour scheme. Simple is fine, but I can't stand being too simple. There's not much to say about the home and away. For the alternate, I used a partial logo from the primary and my own modified version of their new alternate uniform. Which I just added blue to. I would've kept the "Bolts" script, but I really don't like it much. It's not the official team name and I never call them that. I'm pretty sure some or most Lightning fans like that logo, but I didn't like it enough to keep it.

With Toronto, I'm afraid I'll get attacked by Leafs fans. All kidding aside, I took their brand new logo and added another colour. I don't really like only having 2 colours. It seems way to simple to me. So I added in a grey for an accent colour. The home and away are kind of like the Winter Classic uniforms they wore, but with some minor changes. The alternate logo is based off of another concept I saw online, with the grey added into it. The uniform is pretty much what their current alternate uniform is. I didn't want to get too drastic with the changes, but I didn't want to leave them alone either. I hope Leafs fans don't come after me. I know they can be pretty passionate. Like us Jets fans.

St. Louis:

K1cVNop.png

Tampa Bay:

NLoDHlS.png

Toronto:

uASEEbX.png

Guest darkpiranha

Lightning is amazing across the board, the alts especially.  Toronto is good, but I really like the alt.

Onto the final trio of designs. I will be doing some of the special event uniforms like the outdoor games and All Star game uniforms. But these are the last of the 30 teams. Vancouver, Washington, and Winnipeg.

With Vancouver, I went a different direction than I've seen many people go with their redesigns. I kept the blue and green, but brought the hockey stick logo back as the primary. I slightly changed the orca logo by adding green and delegated it to the alternate logo. The home, away, and alternate uniforms are pretty much the same. I did add the green alternate people have been wanting Vancouver to do for awhile.

With Washington, I also went a different direction. I changed the colours to the ones they used for the winter classic. A slightly darker red and blue. I decided to go back to the old eagle logo, with some slight changes and colour changes. I also slightly changed the W winter classic logo. The middle are of the W is the shape of the Washington Monument. I'm not sure if thats what it was before, but I made the negative space look like it this time. I went with the classic look with the home and away, and pretty much copied the winter classic uniform.

With Winnipeg, there wasn't much I could change, since they pretty much redesigned themselves 5 years ago. So I stuck with the same designs for the home and away, but added a light blue alternate with part of their current alternate logo.

Vancouver:

IAmCOko.png

Washington:

VDCNbBR.png

Winnipeg:

iyweU3Z.png

2 minutes ago, XenonDesigns said:

I really like the new logos you created, especially Islanders, Bruins, Jackets, Avalanche and Buffalo. They're all upgrades imo.

Thanks! Some of the logos I made, like Edmonton and Carolina, didn't turn out exactly like I wanted, but overall, I'm very happy with how it all turned out. I think Buffalo was by far my favourite logo since I took it from the old logo. I'm not great at retouching older logos, but that one really turned out.

The Canucks and Jets are perfect. The Caps ar near perfect. My only critique for Washington is that I think the shoulder stripes on the alt are a bit much. Other than that, excellent job with these concepts and this series as a whole!

spacer.png

Nice direction with the majority of these!

I'm not sold on all your redesigns, but you definitely have some great ideas going here. I adore a ton of your alternate logos. 

My personal fave of this whole set is Washington, and I hate the Caps! But it's such a unique blend of eras that looks downright beautiful. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

So over the past few days, I've shared this redesign with a few people and it turns out that 2 major sports websites decided to share them. BarDown (TSN) and Sports Illustrated wrote short articles! But I never would have shared it if not for the awesome C&C from everyone on this thread. I always appreciate the comments, whether I like them or not haha. 

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?We%2bcan%2bnever%2bget%2benough%2bNHL%2balternate%2blogo%2bredesigns&id=575763

http://on.si.com/1MkpALm

Archived