No more Authentic MLB jerseys on mlbshop.com ?

Almighty

5 hours ago, BRice16 said:

VF Imagewear is the parent company of Majestic.

They also own The North Face, 7 For All Mankind, Lee, Wrangler, Nautica, Reef and Vanity Fair. 

See, this kind of stuff is not cool. Like Oakley is bought by Luxottica,

Luxottica Group S.p.A., an Italian company, is the world's largest eyewear company, controlling over 70% of the world's major eyewear brands. Luxottica is the owner of Lenscrafters, Sunglass Hut, Pearle Vision, Sears Optical, Target Optical, Eyemed vision care plan, and Glasses.com. Its best known brands are Ray-Ban, Persol, and Oakley

Stuff like this only mean less competition and therefore higher prices for us consumers <_<

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not related to jerseys, but it seems like most of the great MLBShop exclusives (mainly t-shirts & low-crown New Era MiLB caps) are now gone.  No idea if Fanatics is planning on adding them back into the system.  Extremely disappointing.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

1 hour ago, Bouj said:

Not related to jerseys, but it seems like most of the great MLBShop exclusives (mainly t-shirts & low-crown New Era MiLB caps) are now gone.  No idea if Fanatics is planning on adding them back into the system.  Extremely disappointing.

Yeah, i wonder what the hell MLB was thinking with this move !

And they also often had deals like: buy for $99 and take 25% off, buy for $199 take 30% off. Was real nice when buying Authentics.

Hope someone comes to their senses soon.

7 hours ago, Almighty said:

Yeah, i wonder what the hell MLB was thinking with this move !

And they also often had deals like: buy for $99 and take 25% off, buy for $199 take 30% off. Was real nice when buying Authentics.

Hope someone comes to their senses soon.

Fanatics does occasionally run some great deals, and if it's just "powered by Fanatics," there's a chance MLB will retain many of the same deals they had. Don't forget, Fanatics handled distribution for the MLB Shop for a few years before this deal, and it may not be the end of the world. Just a huge chance to the website, and right now inventory does not reflect what the old MLB Shop had in stock. It'll get better as we head closer to the season, I'm sure. 

12 hours ago, Bouj said:

One downside is the MLB Shop usually had free shipping for authentic caps (59fifties, low-crowns, BP hats).  Plus they had the many of the special event throwbacks in low-crowns (Lids seemed to carry only the regular crown).  Deals on New Era Authentic caps are rare at Fanatics.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

This whole business is cyclical.

At the end of the day you should know what is worth paying full price (for me it was the deGrom Authentic All Star Game jersey with the gold signature) and what is worth waiting a little bit on and what is worth waiting until it hits the clearance section. 

When sites shutdown or are getting ready to change distributors- they are clearing inventory and you need to pounce on the sellers' market. Sometime it gets real good and you can clean up at the likes of Marshalls and Koss. Upheaval is good for those who are vigilant.

But you need to remember- don't overpay unless it is very rare - because inevitably - price will drop again. Maybe Fanatics doesn't have the deals in the near future- but again- I don't know a business that doesn't need to clear inventory or boost sales numbers because forecasts are off. The sales will come- be patient. 

By the way-  good thread- keep the info coming. 

7 hours ago, METDVLS said:

This whole business is cyclical.

At the end of the day you should know what is worth paying full price (for me it was the deGrom Authentic All Star Game jersey with the gold signature) and what is worth waiting a little bit on and what is worth waiting until it hits the clearance section. 

When sites shutdown or are getting ready to change distributors- they are clearing inventory and you need to pounce on the sellers' market. Sometime it gets real good and you can clean up at the likes of Marshalls and Koss. Upheaval is good for those who are vigilant.

But you need to remember- don't overpay unless it is very rare - because inevitably - price will drop again. Maybe Fanatics doesn't have the deals in the near future- but again- I don't know a business that doesn't need to clear inventory or boost sales numbers because forecasts are off. The sales will come- be patient. 

By the way-  good thread- keep the info coming. 

I surely should have thought twice about that...back in September, there was a 40% discount of authentic jerseys. I took that discount out on a personalized O's jersey. Paid about $140 after taxes and shipping. There was an even bigger discount a couple months later too...although that one may have been around the holidays. (Though I wouldn't have been able to use it on the jersey I got)

The way they were closing up shop, however...hid it pretty well. No in-your-face "EVERYTHING MUST GO" promos in my e-mail or on the home page from them at the time IIRC.

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

46 minutes ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

The way they were closing up shop, however...hid it pretty well. No in-your-face "EVERYTHING MUST GO" promos in my e-mail or on the home page from them at the time IIRC.

Exactly, shop was just gone on Jan 20, no warning or any heads up  or "if you want an item, this is your last chance"

And it looks like even Creamer himself can´t  get an answer !

6 hours ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

"Everything must go" sales are only for liquidation/going-out-of-business events.  The MLB Shop didn't go out of business, per se.

When team and college stores went from proprietary site to Fanatics, the proprietary sites didn't have "Everything must go" sales.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, Almighty said:

Exactly, shop was just gone on Jan 20, no warning or any heads up  or "if you want an item, this is your last chance"

And it looks like even Creamer himself can´t  get an answer !

There's no "answer" to get here. The contract was signed last year, so this isn't exactly news. 

You can read more about the deal from when it was signed last summer right here: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/06/16/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/MLB-Fanatics.aspx

There was no clearance sale because Fanatics already managed the inventory. Some things that hadn't sold out will be re-added to the Fanatics site, you're seeing that happen already. 

8 hours ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

I surely should have thought twice about that...back in September, there was a 40% discount of authentic jerseys. I took that discount out on a personalized O's jersey. Paid about $140 after taxes and shipping. There was an even bigger discount a couple months later too...although that one may have been around the holidays. (Though I wouldn't have been able to use it on the jersey I got)

I hear you and will do you  a few better-

I purchased a Cespedes Mets jerseys in August @30% off.  Wore  it to games in September and October and I got my money's worth as those were few and far between in the stands at the NLCS and WS.  

Sale came up in November 40%- ordered 2 more - post season away and a world series blue away jersey which was no longer available after sometime in early December.  

Then December 8 - 50% roles around for MLB AND Majestic - I don't pull the trigger on anything - but that post season away and blue WS isn't around in my size.  So I stand pat.  THEN Majestic has 60% off- can't stay way from that- get 2 World Series patched jersey for Synergaard and Conforto.   But they only had Pinstripes in my size- no blue or away.  I take what I can get - which is limited.  

I over paid on some- but they were limited in some cases.  Others I got a good deal.  I won't be buying anytime soon from Fanatics.  Basically did my jersey shopping for 2016. Maybe I do a Stars and Stripes jersey again this year.  But that Harvey jersey I got in June and wore on July 4 was gone in weeks.  No discount could be used on that and Majestic didn't have the jersey.  I'm still kicking myself for not getting the deGrom All Star BP.  Missed that while looking for a deal. 

14 minutes ago, TheOldRoman said:

Damn. I completely missed the 50% and 60% off sales. I would have picked up a Sox jersey at those prices. We should have a thread on sales.

Majestic is still going on right now.  Sox only have Big and Tall (56 & 60's) for home, away and black alt and regular sizes for 80's throwbacks.  

1 minute ago, METDVLS said:

Majestic is still going on right now.  Sox only have Big and Tall (56 & 60's) for home, away and black alt and regular sizes for 80's throwbacks.  

Thanks. I'm looking for a black jersey in particular. I guess I'll wait for the next sale.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

1 minute ago, METDVLS said:

Thanks. I'm looking for a black jersey in particular. I guess I'll wait for the next sale.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Fanatics sucks. I joined their Fanatics Rewards program when it started. It was free to join. In the beginning they offered free shipping & returns on all orders. Sometime last fall they ended free returns. Then recently the ended free shipping. Now any fan cash you earn between 1/1/16 - 3/31/16 expires if you don't use it by 3/31/16. What's up with that?

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

2 hours ago, BRice16 said:

There's no "answer" to get here. The contract was signed last year, so this isn't exactly news. 

You can read more about the deal from when it was signed last summer right here: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/06/16/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/MLB-Fanatics.aspx

There was no clearance sale because Fanatics already managed the inventory. Some things that hadn't sold out will be re-added to the Fanatics site, you're seeing that happen already. 

Well okay, but it was Chris himself who wanted an answer.

And a 17 year deal ? :censored: that noise, a shame when one huge company takes over everything. 

15 minutes ago, the admiral said:

can't wear them 100 times a year.

17 years is a LONG time.  I doubt it will last that long.  I bet after 5-10 years somebody wants out OR Fanatics goes out of business.  How many sports merchandise sites were there 15 years ago?  

Another alternative is getting eaten by a bigger fish.  I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon (or somebody like them) buys Fanatics.  Sports merchandise and sporting goods in general is a tough business.  Anybody remember FOGDOG?  MVP.com?  Too much inventory that you need to turn in retail.  Even with stuff on consignment - business in that realm is tough.  The only sporting goods store that seem to do well is Dick's and they turn inventory fast.  If it doesn't move - move it to clearance- both online and in the store.

Archived