What do you think of this fox I created?

jdp

Hiya, folks. I’m just throwing this up here to get some feedback. I’m really trying to work on my animal rendering for logo purposes, but I also know there’s a lot to improve upon. For instance, these almost look too realistic (especially #3). Anyway, here’s what I was working on for the Wilmington Wonders in my Stateside Soccer Federation (shameless plug!). They are three variations on a fox.

Any ideas, tips, pointers, critiques (especially critiques) would be greatly appreciated.

Please note, I took Davidson’s skillshare class, so you will definitely see some similarities in snout area and how I continued through the process, not to mention the final pieces.

Thanks in advance!

24498064192_5af42d2063_o.jpg

Larger final versions

23978258424_484831f974_o.jpg

And PS - Thanks to rsaline and sleuthpanther for their previous critiques on the usage of the fox.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Number 1 screams fox to me, largely from the colors but also the "sideburns" or whatever you want to call the side-face-whisker things.  If you were making a team logo, that's the one I'd start with.

Number 2 looks slightly more wolf-like to me.  Not a bad thing, but it's almost kind of a wolf-bobcat mix.  Toss some whiskers on the snout and I'd think it was a feline instead of canine.

Number 3 looks somewhat half-fox and half-raccoon or other small forest furry.  I think on Number 3, it's the ears that make it less canine, since they are more upright and closer together like what you might see in a rabbit, etc.  Also, the face seems WAY to wide/round, especially when compared to the nose/mouth.  I think that's also what gives it the rodent vibe to me, as most wild canines tend to have elongated snouts (see: German Shepherd) instead of short, stubby faces (see: bulldog, pugs) 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I think if you changed the colors of #2 to the orange, black and white of #1, and elongated the mouth and snout or flattened the very top of the head, (it just feels slightly too circular as is)... and maybe make the cheek tufts a little bigger and longer, but #2 is my favorite, good job!   

sig-01_zpsb2ab3976.png

Here's an update. I went with the suggestions and combined some elements, made some color changes, etc., etc. The real differences between A and B are the lines around the eyes and snouts.

I think there's one that floated to the top, but what do you think? (the originals are presented here again, for comparison's sake)

24154707443_e23cd144df_o.jpg

@rsaline and @sleuthpanther - Sorry to sort of call you out, but because you commented on the original fox from my SSF series, I thought I would show you the updates and get your feedback, too.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

The eyes on A are much better as well as the stroke lengths. This shows so much improvement from your stateside logo. I found this picture of a gray fox since that was the mascot, and maybe you can use it as a reference, but I think you are definitely on the right track!626740.jpg

PS: very different to be "called out" on the boards. I like it.

Archived