Super Bowl 50 Aesthetics

CreamSoda

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/26/2016 at 8:40 AM, McCarthy said:

It's interesting to me that on all of the Super Bowl materials this year they're using 50 instead of the roman numeral L. I get that Super Bowl L is not the most attractive looking when spelled out, but 49 Super Bowls using roman numerals and now is when you decide to buck tradition?

It's too bad. They could have marketed it as being an L of a game.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Searching on some historical facts, and came across this gem:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/sports/football/28logos.html?_r=0

“Back then, it was frowned upon to use the trophy in any commercial way,” said Jansen, who replaced the trophy’s base with “whiz lines” — lines to make the ball look like it is rocketing into the air.

Guess the NFL figured that old mindset needed tweaking. Now, we don't get an easily identifiable, individual Super Bowl logo. Instead, it's Lombardi Trophy, some smudges around the bottom and the Roman Numerals.

You're not the only one. I don't look at it as AFC vs NFC, just two of the best teams playing each other. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BlazerBlaze said:

Unpopular Opinion: I like the endzones better without the conference logos. *runs for cover*

I don't really care whether the conference logos are in the endzone or not. But without them it completely skews the artwork to one side. It looks lopsided, as mentioned above.

Maybe put the team logo on both side, both facing toward the word mark. Or, put the league or Super Bowl logo in there, even if repetitive.

To me, the best Super Bowl field diagram would be the NFL logo at the 25s or 30s, the Super Bowl logo at the 50. Each endzone has the team logo to the left, wordmark down the middle, and conference logo to the right (I did like the short time it was in the gray shading).

Of all the 2011+ Super Bowls, I feel 47 did it best with regards to aesthetics. You had everything from a French Quarter themed secondary logo that you saw nearly as much as the primary, to the SuperDome dressed all over in Mardi Gras colors. Sure, you still had the corporate primary logo, but it was almost an afterthought as the event still took on a very local vibe. Even the pregame show used the the secondary logo on set. Also, the endzones used the teams best colors. No navy! 

5 hours ago, Cujo said:

Listed on NFL Shop as "game event" jerseys: Are they to be used during Media Night or just trying to make a buck off something completely half-assed?

productImages%2f_2356000%2fff_2356683_fuff_2356686alt1_full.jpg&w=400

Probably the latter. If I remember, the players wore their actual game jerseys to media night. 

12 minutes ago, ahowe6464 said:

Probably the latter. If I remember, the players wore their actual game jerseys to media night. 

As of the last two years, players have worn jumpsuit jackets during media day.

jpeg

6uXNWAo.png

I am not a fan of the NFL, not having followed that league since the mid-1980s.  So I understand that they are not talking to me.  But the idea of a Super Bowl without conference identifiers is absurd.

And I just realised that they no longer even go by conferences in the Pro Bowl, and that this year's game was the third under the new format of captains picking teams.  (I told you I don't follow it.)  And this is supposed to increase fan interest?  How the hell does a fan identify with "Team Rice" or whatever?  By contrast, you know whether your team is in the NFC or the AFC; so it's easy to identify with the conference.

This kind of identity of the NFL conferences is fundamental to being a fan of a team.  (For this reason I have often wondered how fans of the Colts, Browns, and Steelers dealt with going over to the AFC after the merger. It must have been difficult to suddenly acquire a whole new set of rivals.)  Fans of a team root against their division and conference rivals all year, and then must root for them in the Pro Bowl.  That's how it's supposed to be, just as every Yankee fan had to deal with rooting for George Brett and Jim Rice for one day a year in the All-Star Game.  You knew that that day was coming; and you prepared for it mentally.  It was part of the fun of being a fan. If fans cannot get into this, then there is something terribly wrong with them.

I can remember that, when I was watching football back in grammar school and high school, conference identities were very strong. The question of which conference was stronger was always something that was argued by fans.  And, for a neutral, your conference affilliation strongly influenced whom you rooted for in the Super Bowl.

And it is natural for the NFC and AFC in particular to have strong identities, since both are national in scope, stretching from coast to coast unlike the regional NBA and NHL conferences.  The important point here is that each team in the Super Bowl has already won a significant nationwide championship; and the NFC champions and AFC champions are now playing for the cherry on the cake.  Champion versus champion -- that's what the Super Bowl should be. The league should be playing this up, not forgetting about it.

Just as I am glad that I no longer follow baseball and so don't have to deal with interleague play, I am glad that I no longer follow the NFL and so don't have to deal with this de-emphasising of the conferences. Still, even though I as a non-fan have no personal interest in these matters, I am willing to comment that these are bad moves because they disconnect people from their history.  Preserving the awareness of history is a value that transcends sports.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

23 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

LOL always love when people preface how much they "don't care/follow" something and then post a 6 paragraph diatribe about it.  Good on you for transcending our lowly American sports I guess. 

"Not following" and "not caring" are two different things.  Clearly I care, for the reasons which I expressed. My desire to promote people's knowledge of history and my sociological interest in sport as a cultural phenomenon are not things which I am going to be apologising for.

And, notwithstanding my lack of interest in the results of the games in the NFL and Major League Baseball, I am still interested in the looks of the uniforms in those leagues.

32 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

LOL always love when people preface how much they "don't care/follow" something and then post a 6 paragraph diatribe about it.  Good on you for transcending our lowly American sports I guess. 

Skipped the rest after the first sentence as well. ?

6uXNWAo.png

9 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Skipped the rest after the first sentence as well. ?

So perhaps I should have posed as some kind of football fan?  Nonsense. 

My having once followed the sport, my ongoing interest in uniforms, and my being an observer of the culture entitle me to make comments on this. It's not necessary to care who wins the game.

The "too long; didn't read" version: the conferences matter because they have historical standing.

and the conferences matter because that's how you advance to the Super Bowl. You can't get to the game without being the champion of a conference. It's important to delineate who is who. At a basic level it should be done simply because it's procedure. History and tradition do matter. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Should the NHL put conference logos on the ice for the Stanley Cup too?  Should the NBA on their court?  How about two giant AL and NL logos for the World Series...

Yes; yes; and a very big yes. Indeed, I think Yankee Stadium had the league logos painted on the field in the 1977 World Series.

Archived