College Baseball - 2016 Season

cajunaggie08

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

I like that baseball specific EMU eagle logo. 

I thought the block E would be the cap logo for them, but they made a good choice by going with a non generic E logo.

I like the non-generic E as well; harkens back to when baseball teams tried to have different marks from the football team (which I liked, despite the branding mess).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I may be in the minority here, but I actually think having multiple marks HELPS branding and marketing (for established institutions).. Take Alabama for example - no football helmet logo, script A, block A, elephant standing over block A, elephant head (partial logo from previous), plus wordmarks and mascot logos.. It gives multiple options to use in a wide variety of applications and still remains immediately identifiable

6 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I may be in the minority here, but I actually think having multiple marks HELPS branding and marketing (for established institutions).. Take Alabama for example - no football helmet logo, script A, block A, elephant standing over block A, elephant head (partial logo from previous), plus wordmarks and mascot logos.. It gives multiple options to use in a wide variety of applications and still remains immediately identifiable

I'm not a branding expert or designer by trade, so I may be talking out of turn here: However, is it that you know it's Alabama because of the logo? Or do you know the logo because it's Alabama? I.e. Alabama can get away with having so many logos because it's such a popular entity in college sports (mostly football, I'd guess). While I agree with the general idea--baseball teams should look like baseball teams and not just buy into the college athletic program's overarching identity package--I don't necessarily think that having six different logos for just athletics would help out with the majority of schools.

8 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Except that the University doesn't use a logo consisting of an elephant, and only uses the script A...

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

9 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

There are several on the mothership..

They have been retired by Alabama.

The only marks currently used by Alabama athletics are the script "A," the "ALABAMA" block wordmark and the script "A" inside a white circle with the wordmark around it. Everything else is no longer available for use or license. 

BamaPage.thumb.jpg.dbfac64d8dda0713fe99c

This is from their current website.. www.rolltide.com

click "inside athletics"

click "licensing"

click "logos"

then this pops up..

it may not be 100% accurate, but it's literally straight from the horse's mouth, so my apologies for any inaccuracies, but i'm sure you can see/understand why i may have mistakenly thought they were current... 

but that's neither here nor there.. it doesn't change the overall point of my comment.. multiple marks are not a bad thing, so long as it's within reason and they don't dilute the brand, but rather enhance it..

Oklahoma State is another good example.  they have the smoothe staggered oSu logo, pistol pete, the beveled staggered oSu logo, the beveled O, beveled O w/ STATE, pistol pete head, various wordmarks -- but all are immediately identifiable as OklaState.. 

Clemson is the same way, in that they have a baseball only logo (stylized "C"), but still include the paw print in their uniforms..

i just think it becomes cheap and cheezy for a brand to have only one or two overly generic marks.. it's not hard to do either -- letter(s), nickname logo, partial nickname logo, partial letter(s) if applicable, creative tertiary logo... that's 5 right there, and not thinking too much outside the box

Again, not the point of my comment.. I'm simply using examples to show how multiple marks can enhance an overall brand.. Although a lack of use doesn't mean they no longer own it, or that it's no longer an official mark.. I bet I could go buy some merchandise with it right now..

Are we posting softball stuff here? If so, Auburn softball debuted a new white uniform tonight, replacing the only uniform in Auburn with TIGERS on the chest.. It's the same template as the orange uniforms worn last year. There's going to be a new blue jersey and grey uniform, which is apparently going to be much darker than the last one, presumably an anthracite type shade.

11682762.jpeg

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Looks like Oregon will have a jersey inspired by the football uniforms of the 90's this season:

image.jpeg.d540033292e19959f32271e80b81d

They put out a video on Twitter which shows players running out of the dugout in what looks like a variety of new uniforms, but the one above is the only one I could make out.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived