2015/16 UEFA Champions League (PSG-Chelsea)

mattb6

txFN22S.png

It seems like Barcelona defeated Juventes in the 2015 Champion's League final just a few weeks ago, but it's already time for the 2016 Round of 16. I've been working on this for over a month, and have all 16 teams completed, along with some more cool additional things (the picture above for example, which you're free to use for whatever your heart desires, while crediting me, and of course not for a profit since I own none of the above graphic). I'll be going in order of this:

3499.jpg?w=460&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

Before I start with teams, I'll give a few rules. Each team will have a different number font, some the team already uses, others not. Teams are permitted to have either two or three kits. Teams will wear the star/ball logo on one sleeve, and the Respect patch on the other. No more of the trophies indicating championships. Also, stars used by the team to indicate domestic championships/accomplishments will be left off. Teams are also allowed to have either 0, 1 or 2 sponsors (sorry, Gent). 

Also, huge thanks to Conrad. for the many, many fonts of his I used, and raysox for the awesome template.

spacer.png

G4jgN4F.png

KAA Gent (Belgium) v. VfL Wolfsburg (Germany)

The first matchup is KAA Gent, out of the Belgian Pro League, and VfL Wolfsburg out of the BundesLiga.

Fo7rfwP.png

Gent's kits are manufactured by Jartazi, a relatively unknown Belgian company, and are sponsored by VDK and Ghelamco. The primary strip featuers and all blue set, with white accents, and a sublimated design the carries over from the front to the back. The secondary strip features a white shirt and shorts, with the same blue socks from the primary. It features a blue chevron-like design on the top of the front, and the bottom of the back.

PRyfZ15.png

Wolfsburg features three kits, green, white and blue. The primary green strip featuers a white and blue stripe across the front, with various white and blue accents throughout. The shirt is paired with white shorts and green socks. The secondary kit features a white shirt with a green cross, that has been featured on various kits in the past. It's paired with green shorts and white socks. The third kit is a blue-white-blue set, with green and white striping on the collar and arm. The same white shorts are used from the primary kit, but with plain blue socks. The kits are manufactured by Kappa, and are sponsored by Volkswagen. 

The teams would both be wearing their primary strips for both legs:

DzREp1D.png

Real Madrid and AS Roma will be next!

spacer.png

Both teams look good. I'm not familiar with Gent's kits so I don't have anything to refer to, but they still look good. I really like how you made the Volkswagen blue an accent color yet still kept it subtle. Nice job. 

spacer.png

I like what you've got going on so far. The tonal stripes on Gent's kits are nice. And you've managed to keep Wolfsburg interesting without going overboard. Very interested to see where this goes from here.

I tried Wolfsburg's NOB in blue on the green and white kits, and it didn't look too bad. I may revisit them once I have all 16 posted. Meanwhile, next up in Roma-Madrid.

IhrjIkd.png

AS Roma is out of Serie A TIM in Italy, while Real Madrid CF comes from La Liga in Spain.

TTc1GAf.png

Roma's primary kit is the traditional maroon-white-maroon look with orange accents. The number font is retained from the current kits, I think it's a sharp look. The clash kit is a white shirt with maroon and orange stripes, paired with maroon shorts and white socks. The third kit is a dark charcoal gray, paired with shiny black and orange braisher stripes. The solid color shirt and shorts matched with a clashing sock follows what Nike's third kit template will be for this series (which is rumored to be next year's Nike theme also). Roma has no sponsor.

zEegk4h.png

Real's primary kit is an all-white look , with purple accents throughout. The secondary kit is dark gray, with a sublimated black triangle-like design. Yellow/gold accents the kit throughout. The third kit follows adidas's UCL template for this series, two-colored shirts and shorts (the shorts being, in my opinion, a better execution of what they were going for this year with their third kits). The kit is in the colors of Real's third kit for this year.

72jaZmH.png

And here's the matchup. 

spacer.png

I always envision Roma in my head with a darker maroon. That's not to say the maroon you used is bad, just unexpected. Love the white Roma kits, though. And the orange on the back of the black kit adds just enough zing to keep things interesting.

Very nice stuff for the white and black Real kits, but I'm not a big fan of the two-tone blue kits. The design over the shoulders just seems clunky and doesn't really fit in with the rest of the aesthetic. Since the shorts are a side view, what would you envision happening in the front? Would the dark blue come to a peak on each leg? Or would it keep sloping upward on each leg, forming just one peak in the middle somewhere?

2 hours ago, officeglenn said:

I always envision Roma in my head with a darker maroon. That's not to say the maroon you used is bad, just unexpected. Love the white Roma kits, though. And the orange on the back of the black kit adds just enough zing to keep things interesting.

Very nice stuff for the white and black Real kits, but I'm not a big fan of the two-tone blue kits. The design over the shoulders just seems clunky and doesn't really fit in with the rest of the aesthetic. Since the shorts are a side view, what would you envision happening in the front? Would the dark blue come to a peak on each leg? Or would it keep sloping upward on each leg, forming just one peak in the middle somewhere?

n5xRKR2.png

This is what I envisioned when I sketched out Real (very crude mockup, I know).

Admittedly, with the dark blue abruptly stopping at the sleeves, it is a little jarring. Not sure how I'll try to rework the third, but I'll see what I can do. Any suggestions are welcome.

spacer.png

I had some trouble reworking Real Madrid's third, and I didn't come out with anything I liked. I'll revisit it later, but if anyone has suggestions for it please make them known. In the meantime, here's PSG and Chelsea's three shirts. I had some trouble uploading the pictures, so I should have the full sets up tomorrow.

LrrmXfK.png

spacer.png

Being a PSG fan, I love the home and road. The only thing I'm not sure about is the grey third. The two stripes seem randomly placed. The colours work, but the design lacks something. Maybe put the stripes closer or go even crazier and make the sleeves two-toned...

Chelsea looks good. What's the thought behind the red third?

21 hours ago, timberwolf said:

Being a PSG fan, I love the home and road. The only thing I'm not sure about is the grey third. The two stripes seem randomly placed. The colours work, but the design lacks something. Maybe put the stripes closer or go even crazier and make the sleeves two-toned...

Chelsea looks good. What's the thought behind the red third?

They've used red as trim in the past (including the current home and clash), and I thought they'd look good with a predominately red kit.

You're right about PSG's third. I originally had full stripes but ditched those, and went with the cut-off ones. I'll see what I can do to improve their third. I'll have the full kits up soon.

spacer.png

Paris Saint-Germain v. Chelsea FC

CJsJJNT.png

The navy primay kit featuers the same style of striping that PSG has sported for much of its existence. I have added the throwback PSG emblem on the bottom hem of the primary and clash kits. The shorts for both the primary and clash feature alternate colored stripes on both sides. While I did like the original PSG clash I created, I added the navy and red stripes over the badge and Nike swoosh, to mimic the French flag.The third is totally different from what I had advertised earlier, this time being all red, with a sublimated Eiffel Tower on both sides. The retro PSG logo is used on the kit also (just cause I felt having the same Eiffel Tower design three times seemed redundant). Lke7te8.png

Chelsea's primary kit is an all blue look, with dark blue and white accents. A sublimated lion is on the left hem of the shirt. The clash kit is white with blue socks, with a circular design around the badge. White socks can (and will be) substituted. The third kit is all red, with a blue block on the shirt and shorts. It features blue socks, which can be replaced with alternate red socks.

.iUuNMwK.png

And here are the matchups.

spacer.png

Archived