Useless sports logos trivia

Ark

Nickname related:

Prior to the most recent realignment of NCAA FBS (I-A) conferences, two conferences had schools with duplicate nicknames. Interestingly both conferences had two sets of duplicates.

SEC

Bulldogs: Georgia, Miss St

Tigers: Auburn, LSU

WAC

Aggies: New Mexico St, Utah St

Bulldogs: Fresno St, La Tech

Now only one FBS conference has schools with duplicate nicknames

SEC

Bulldogs: Georgia, Miss St

Tigers: Auburn, LSU, Mizzou

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/28/2016 at 0:23 AM, Quillz said:

But in other sports, it's happened. While MLB has produced many all-New York World Series, you may have forgotten we had an all-St. Louis World Series in 1944, when the Cardinals played the Browns. (In fact, every game was played at the same stadium, too!) There has never been an all-Boston World Series, but it almost happened in 1914, when the A's beat out the Red Sox in the final standings. Likewise, the 2009 season had the Dodgers and Angels within one series win of meeting each other in the World Series. Philadelphia also used to have two teams, but there was never any serious prospects of an all-Philly World Series. Neither the NHL nor NBA can produce Finals featuring one city. The former has no two-team cities, and the latter aligns their conferences on East/West geography.

Similar to the old subway series in New York, there was also the "BART" World Series in 1989 between Oakland and San Francisco.

It is what it is.

The Maple Leafs were the first NHL team to use a colored and a white sweater in the same season...and the Rangers were the final NHL team to use only one sweater.

I know one thing, the typical NBA uniform set features the team nickname on the home jersey, and the city name on the road set.  Several teams use the nickname on both, a few teams have the city name on both, the Kings' uniforms a few years back seem to be the only ones I'm aware of that had it the other way around: the home whites read Sacramento, and the traveling purples read Kings.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

5 hours ago, hockey week said:

The New York Rangers were the first NHL team to color their equipment to match their team colors, rather than use all natural brown leather

That certainly is something that I didn't know. Where did you hear about it from? I only know from a quick check on nhluniforms.com that Chicago and Detroit wore black and red pants, respectively, in 1927-28 - 2 seasons before the Rangers are listed with wearing red pants.

4 hours ago, TheLAKnight said:

That certainly is something that I didn't know. Where did you hear about it from? I only know from a quick check on nhluniforms.com that Chicago and Detroit wore black and red pants, respectively, in 1927-28 - 2 seasons before the Rangers are listed with wearing red pants.

I'm pretty sure that's from the olden days of NHL Uniforms, when there was a text intro to each decade and there were plenty of captions for unique things.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎29 at 10:50 AM, Mingjai said:

The italicized portion is wrong on both counts regarding the NHL.

If Dodgers-Angels qualifies as the same city, then surely Kings-Ducks would too. And if Kings-Ducks qualifies as same city, then Rangers-Islanders-Devils should count as well since the distance between the Staples Center and the Honda Center is further than the distances between MSG and Barclays Center, MSG and Prudential Center, and Barclays Center and Prudential Center. Even back when the Islanders were in Nassau Coliseum the distance between it and MSG was shorter than Staples Center-Honda Center.

But that's all moot anyway. The real reason why the NHL hasn't produced any one-city finals is that the NHL is aligned on East-West geography.

In the NHL, in 24-25 and 25-26, it could have been a Maroons-Canadiens final, and again between 28-29 and 37-38 when there where a crossing between the divisions in the semi-finals. But it didn't happen.

Between 25-26 and 37-38, the Rangers and the Americans were not in the same division. And from 38-39 to 41-42, there was a one-division system. But they never met in the Finals...

The Bears and Chicago Cardinals spent the entire 1950s in different divisions and could've played each other in an NFL Championship game. Never happened, and the closest it came was 1956 when the Bears won the West and the Cards finished 1 1/2 games behind the Giants in the East. 

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1956/

Archived