infrared41's Who am I? - Super Bowl Trivia for the Old School Crowd

infrared41

Celebrating another year as the poor man's alternative to Tank's Super Bowl Trivia.

For the new folks, here's how it works. Every player has appeared in at least one Super Bowl. The easier the player, the tougher the clues and vice versa. The emphasis is on players who played in the 60's thru the 90's but a player could be from any Super Bowl. Pay attention to the way the clues are worded. 

Round I 

1. The teams I played for have a combined total of 9 Super Bowl appearances. 
  2. I led the league in this statistical category in my rookie season.
  3. I went on to become the all-time leader in that statistic.
  4. I'm also tied for first in this career statistic. 
  5. I played for the same coach in college and in the NFL

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul Krause?

I actually had some exposure to him professionally when he was a county board member.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

29 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Paul Krause?

I actually had some exposure to him professionally when he was a country board member.

OnWis97 with the pick - now you're just 80 away from catching Paul Krause. 

1. Krause played for Washington and the Vikings. Washington has appeared in 5 Super Bowls, Minnesota in 4.

Krause was a member of all four Vikings Super Bowl teams. 

2. As a rookie with Washington in 1964, Krause led the NFL with 12 interceptions.

3. He is the NFL's all-time leader in interceptions with 81.

4. According to his HOF page, Krause's 3 fumble returns for a touchdown is tied for first all-time.

5. Jerry Burns coached Krause in college at Iowa and was an assistant coach under Bud Grant with the Vikings. 

paul_krause_1976_12_01_crop_north.jpg?w=17966494f0a823f57b7cbf0c6625b833.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Nice one. I was stuck on the 1990s Cowboys (started with Troy Aikman/Barry Switzer Oklahoma/Cowboys) and thought I was onto something when I saw that Galen Hall (Emmitt Smith's coach at Florida) was a running backs coach for the Cowboys in 2002. Emmitt fit the 9 Super Bowls question too (Cowboys 8, Cardinals 1), and I hear he has some sort of NFL record as well.

As always, great to see this back!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I thought of Krause in about 5 seconds because I knew he was the all-time interception leader and the franchise Super Bowls seemed about right.  Looking at his stats I saw his 12 INTs as a rookie and pretty much knew, despite having no idea about #4.  In poking around the Wikipedia, I felt pretty good once I discovered that Burns was the HC at Iowa (I had NO clue he'd ever held that job), though it did give me pause because Burns was the OC with the Vikes and Krause was a defense player.  This has been "the through process you did not want to read" by OnWis97.

And to be true to this board, it's astonishing to look at sleeves that have the room for a very thick stripe pattern and TV numbers with no need to use the shoulders for the numbers.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

52 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

And to be true to this board, it's astonishing to look at sleeves that have the room for a very thick stripe pattern and TV numbers with no need to use the shoulders for the numbers.

It's a wonder guys could play football wearing those things!!!!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 minute ago, leopard88 said:

It's a wonder guys could play football wearing those things!!!!

If Krause could have had today's template, all 81 of those INTs would have been for TD!

POTD (Shared)

Just now, OnWis97 said:

If Krause could have had today's template, all 81 of those INTs would have been for TD!

Ahhh, but you forget that the offensive players trying to tackle him would have been blessed with the same template.  Presumably, it would be a wash.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

I walked into that one...

So when you look at how much faster and better the players are without sleeves and huge shoulder pads, maybe those elements should be brought back.  Maybe weighing players down with those sleeves and big stripes will slow them down enough to mitigate the head-injury problems. Performance uniforms perform TOO well.

POTD (Shared)

Ah, silly me. 

When thinking of Dawson, I'd counted 7 appearances by Pittsburgh, 0 by Cleveland, and 2 by Kansas City to get 9. Wasn't so sure which statistics were referred to, but I also knew Hank Stram was an assistant at Purdue when Dawson played there (you never said "Head Coach") so it all seemed to line up.

Where'd I instantly go wrong, among many other things? Pittsburgh has 8, not 7. :P

Krause was a good one! Keep it coming! 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I walked into that one...

So when you look at how much faster and better the players are without sleeves and huge shoulder pads, maybe those elements should be brought back.  Maybe weighing players down with those sleeves and big stripes will slow them down enough to mitigate the head-injury problems. Performance uniforms perform TOO well.

There is a delicate balance here.  If the sleeves are too long and the stripes are too heavy, the game will be too slow and may not been as enjoyable.

I think the Krause uniform could be the baseline . . . sleeves no longer than 3/4 length and stripes limited to Northwestern stripes with think outlines.  That would probably rule out the stripes from the Jaworski/Carmichael-era Eagles and maybe the full Namath Jets (with the extra stripe(s) at the end of the sleeve).

Round II

i. The teams I played for have a combined total of 9 Super Bowl appearances.

II. It's not a stretch to say that I may have been inspired by Jim Valvano's ESPY's speech.

III. I am a member of a very exclusive NFL fraternity.

IV. Persistence pays off.

Who am I? 

BB52Big.jpg

18 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Don Beebe 

McCarthy gets on the board. Don Beebe it is.

And we have our first mistake in the clues. (Took all of two players this year.) Clue #1 should have said 11 Super Bowl appearances. I forgot that Beebe played a season in Carolina. 

I. Beebe played for Buffalo - 4 SB appearances, Carolina - 2 SB, and Green Bay - 5 SB.

II. Valvano's "Don't give up" speech is a reference to Beebe chasing down Leon Lett in Super Bowl XXVII.

III. Beebe is one of just three players to have played in six Super Bowls.

IV. After four straight Super Bowl losses with the Bills, Beebe finally got a Super Bowl ring with the Packers in Super Bowl XXXI.

3253-46Fr.jpge3e18ae0-cb34-48dd-a0aa-29c25c07844a.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

I was going to guess Kurt Warner:

1. Rams (3), Giants (5), Cardinals (1) (Or would the Packers count, even though he was cut in preseason?)

2. He never gave up on playing in the NFL, and his volunteer and charity work.

3. He's 1 of 3 QBs to throw 100 TDs with 2 different teams, and 1 of 3 QBs to start a Super Bowl with 2 Different teams.

4. His journey from being undrafted, to Arena League, to NFL Europe, to NFL backup, to Super Bowl and league MVP.

spacer.png

Archived