infrared41's Who am I? - Super Bowl Trivia for the Old School Crowd

infrared41

On 1/28/2016 at 5:40 PM, infrared41 said:

Crabcake47 with the win. Matt Snell is who I was looking for.

I. Snell and I both went to college at "THE" Ohio State University.

II. Snell's jersey number was 41, my user name has a 41, etc. (Not that anyone cares, but I wore #41 for the majority of my baseball playing days.)

III. He was named to Ohio State's all-century team - as a defensive end, oddly enough.

IV. Matt Snell rushed for 180 yards against the Oilers in his rookie year which was the Jets single game record at the time. (May still be, I don't know.)

V. Snell's 121 rushing yards in Super Bowl III were, at the time, a Super Bowl record.

a3a9b5f9-2108-4575-94a9-6a683e406c24.jpgJets%20SB%20III.jpg

D'oh!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I. I don't know where you went to college. Scratch that, found your Twitter and you are a fellow OSU alum. O-H!

II. So, he wore #41? Keith Byars immediately comes to mind.

III. That's an awful lot of Super Bowl stars.

IV. Even thinking Keith Byars, I'm unsure of this. Pro-football-reference doesn't show him having done much as a rookie.

V. I'm immediately thinking of rushing records. Scratch that, I think it is Byars. He was on the Patriots' team that lost to the Packers and I think I remember something about him catching a bunch of passes. (I had to look him up on pro-football-reference to ascertain that he was on a Super Bowl team, but I haven't looked at his playoff stats because I would consider that cheating.)

I-O! You're a little late to the party, my man. 

BB52Big.jpg

Round XV

I. The teams I played for have a combined total of 4 Super Bowl appearances.

II. I was a real point of contention between these two fiery coaches in my rookie year. 

III. I'm probably most famous for playing out of position.

IV. I also did a little acting - including a role on this famous 80's action series. 

Who am I? 

BB52Big.jpg

Fred Dryer?

guessed too quickly...too many SB appearances for his teams.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

William Perry

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

William Perry

The Fridge is who we were looking for. I think that puts OnWis97 in the lead. 

I. Perry played for the Bears and Eagles - 2 SB appearances each.

II. Bears Head Coach Mike Ditka chose DT Perry in the first round of the draft. Bears Def. Coordinator Buddy Ryan called Perry was a wasted draft pick. Ryan refused to play Perry on defense so Ditka started using the Fridge on offense. And so on...

III. Playing offense is what put the Fridge on the national stage. He scored scored two rushing TDs in the regular season, caught one TD pass,  and scored a TD in Super Bowl XX. (The Bears also tried an option pass with Perry in Super Bowl XX - he was tackled for a one yard loss.)

IV. Perry appeared in an episode of the A-Team. 

3242-47aFr.jpgsb20.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Round XVI

I. The teams I played for have a combined total of 14 Super Bowl appearances. 

II. My nickname was more suited for delivering babies than playing football. The nickname one of my teams gave me was more appropriate.

III. I've been stunned twice by the New York Jets.

IV. I played for this college before it became famous..or infamous depending on your perspective.

V. I am one of only two NFL players to have been born in this Latin American country.

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

9 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Round XVI

I. The teams I played for have a combined total of 14 Super Bowl appearances. 

II. My nickname was more suited for delivering babies than playing football. The nickname one of my teams gave me was more appropriate.

III. I've been stunned twice by the New York Jets.

IV. I played for this college before it became famous..or infamous depending on your perspective.

V. I am one of only two NFL players to have been born in this Latin American country.

Who am I?

Finally I got here on time

Ted Hendricks

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

15 minutes ago, NJTank said:

Ted Hendricks

Tank takes a break from his own trivia thread and scores a win with Ted Hendricks.

I. Hendricks played for the Colts - 4 SB appearances, and the Raiders and Packers with 5 SB appearances each.

II. He was known as "The Mad Stork." His Raiders teammates referred to him as "Kick 'em in the Head Ted."

III. Hendricks was a member of the Colts team that lost to the Jets in Super Bowl III (sorry about that Leopard88). Hendricks and the Raiders were upset by the Jets in the 1982 playoffs.

IV. Hendricks attended Miami before it was known as "The U."

V. He is one of two NFL players to have been born in Guatemala. 

41vu2OcJyRL.jpg610522d3-cfa4-4a1f-af0b-f98e19569923.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

At the risk of asking you to devote a bunch of time you don't have...

...this would be an awesome format for a baseball trivia series every October.  Going all the way back to the Deadball Era, there is a nearly limitless number of players to use.

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, infrared41 said:

III. Hendricks was a member of the Colts team that lost to the Jets in Super Bowl III (sorry about that Leopard88).

Like that makes up for it.  :cursing:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Round XVII

I. The teams I played for have a combined total of 11 Super Bowl appearances.

II. My on-field celebration was probably more appropriate for the team that played across the parking lot from me most of my career.

III. Speaking of the team I spent the bulk of my career with, I am a member of that team's Hall of Fame.

III. I was so good at this particular part of my game that a rule is named after me.

IV. I am stuck on why this brand never offered me an endorsement deal.

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

Archived